Marco Muzzo in the News Oh | GTAMotorcycle.com

Marco Muzzo in the News Oh

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Toronto Star

"Lawyers for convicted killer drunk driver Marco Muzzo are arguing that the family of the three children and grandfather who died at Muzzo’s hands should not be entitled to more than a third of the damages they are seeking in a $25-million lawsuit................."

I wondered when this would come up. Money will never bring back the kids and grandfather but if you're going to be unhappy you might as well be unhappy and rich. I'm not sure if those sentiments are a little callous.

I wonder what rationale was behind their argument.

It's probably something like "people shouldn't be responsible for their actions" or similar such drivel......

Some people here would no doubt make that argument; "he made a mistake" or some such...

I do not in anyway support the guy but....

The logic in Canada is that his going to jail is punishment, there is no other punishment. A lawsuit is not supposed to be about punishment in such a case (hence the request to reduce the amount). Normally such a lawsuit would be about lost future wages, pain and suffering, long term care. If one or more of the kids survived they can calculate long term care needs. Forty year old father is killed, they can calculate how much he would make the rest of his life. The catch here is the grandfather was retired and the kids of course had no wages, and there is no long term care... (although I would argue the parents will need life long care to deal with the grief).

Not sure how it will all sort out but I think they are aiming too high. I bet if they lowered the sum his family will just write a check.

Not sure how it will all sort out but I think they are aiming too high. I bet if they lowered the sum his family will just write a check.

You aim high and settle ... his family will indeed have to write a cheque, the only question is how high the amount will be. It will be more than the 1/3 they are talking off, so would half be ok? I am not sure .... but I refuse the logic that the law should consider the grandfather low value because, he was retired with no wages and on contrary there's savings for the system since there will not be along term care required.

There's a ton of equations how to put a value on a human life, none of which changes the fact that Muzzo was the one who decided to play drunk with his car, so fairly his family should be ready to pay .... They have been humiliated already and will be for long time, what does it cost them to ask for a reduction? Nothing .... just a bit more shame in the eyes of ordinary people. These type of people seldom take the high road ....

These type of people seldom take the high road ....

When push comes to shove, who does. Easy to sit here removed from their reality and state what the ideal human being would do, but no one should kid themselves; we'd all do the same.

Not directed at you per say mxs

Some people here would no doubt make that argument; "he made a mistake" or some such...

Youtube is full of this stuff. I'm sorry. I wish.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axa9fTKqcMw&t=21s

The hard part about insurance and settlements is that they often don't replace what is lost. They are to adjust I suppose.

However they also carry a possible negative potential.

Let's say they get 20 Million and buy a mansion in Vaughan, a beach house in Malibu, a condo in BC and a Rolls. When asked where the money came from the answer is that's what I got for my three kids and father. If it was me I would always feel empty but that's what happens when parents have to bury their kids.

I'm not saying the Muzzo clan should get off free but if it's meant to punish will 25 million really hurt the billionaire empire.

Youtube is full of this stuff. I'm sorry. I wish.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axa9fTKqcMw&t=21s

The hard part about insurance and settlements is that they often don't replace what is lost. They are to adjust I suppose.

However they also carry a possible negative potential.

Let's say they get 20 Million and buy a mansion in Vaughan, a beach house in Malibu, a condo in BC and a Rolls. When asked where the money came from the answer is that's what I got for my three kids and father. If it was me I would always feel empty but that's what happens when parents have to bury their kids.

I'm not saying the Muzzo clan should get off free but if it's meant to punish will 25 million really hurt the billionaire empire.

I don't know the victims but just doubt they would roll any such settlement into the rough equivalent of hookers & blow.

It's possible that they'd set aside some to ensure their own financial security -- minus the ostentation and excess of a lotto win -- and then donate the rest to anti-drunk driving campaigns (not necessarily saying M.A.D.D. but things like educational programs for at-risk kids in high schools, addiction research, treatment etc etc for example.)

I don't know the victims but just doubt they would roll any such settlement into the rough equivalent of hookers & blow.

It's possible that they'd set aside some to ensure their own financial security -- minus the ostentation and excess of a lotto win -- and then donate the rest to anti-drunk driving campaigns (not necessarily saying M.A.D.D. but things like educational programs for at-risk kids in high schools, addiction research, treatment etc etc for example.)

Again, idealist sentiment, easily said on a forum, but when push comes to shove.... I fancy myself the hookers and blow, especially if we're talking tragedy compensation, or in realer terms, feel good cash.

Again, idealist sentiment, easily said on a forum, but when push comes to shove.... I fancy myself the hookers and blow, especially if we're talking tragedy compensation, or in realer terms, feel good cash.

They'd be free to with any settlement as they please of course. I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. It would be unseemly for them to act like the Kardashians on money gleaned from their relative's deaths...

They'd be free to with any settlement as they please of course. I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. It would be unseemly for them to act like the Kardashians on money gleaned from their relative's deaths...

Wow, money must mean a lot to you.

so judgemental

There's no winning with you, is there?

I earlier expressed the belief that they'd likely keep some for comfort and security and give the rest to programs designed to reduce the chances of this happening again to another family. You denigrate this and say it's "idealist sentiment."

Then I opine that I would find it unseemly if they, to quote nobbie48, bought "a mansion in Vaughan, a beach house in Malibu, a condo in BC and a Rolls" and now I'm judgemental according to you.

Some people just have to pick fights just 'coz.

This woman lost her entire family. There will be no children to take care of her when she gets old. There will be no grandchildren. Her entire life has been ruined by a spoiled, rich drunk who thought he was above the law. Muzzo's family is worth $1.9billion. I don't think $25million is nearly enough to replace the family that woman lost. I also find it sickening that these rich people would argue that a pathetic $7million is enough. I think she should get the entire amount and to hell with that family of rich jerks.

There's no winning with you, is there?

I earlier expressed the belief that they'd likely keep some for comfort and security and give the rest to programs designed to reduce the chances of this happening again to another family. You denigrate this and say it's "idealist sentiment."

Then I opine that I would find it unseemly if they, to quote nobbie48, bought "a mansion in Vaughan, a beach house in Malibu, a condo in BC and a Rolls" and now I'm judgemental according to you.

Some people just have to pick fights just 'coz.

Winning? I didn't know we were competing. Tongue in check regardless. Lose you're loved ones, hookers and blow until you go is personal prerogative; that's all I'm saying. Who cares what they do with it. Anyway, as someone else eluded to this is all just lawyer song and dance, with all parties looking for best possible monetary conclusion for themselves. Any and all attached sentiment is part of said song and dance routine.

This woman lost her entire family. There will be no children to take care of her when she gets old. There will be no grandchildren. Her entire life has been ruined by a spoiled, rich drunk who thought he was above the law. Muzzo's family is worth $1.9billion. I don't think $25million is nearly enough to replace the family that woman lost. I also find it sickening that these rich people would argue that a pathetic $7million is enough. I think she should get the entire amount and to hell with that family of rich jerks.

7m; 25m; all 1.9b; no amount replaces anyone

7m; 25m; all 1.9b; no amount replaces anyone

With 25 million in the bank you can bet a bunch of previously unheard from relatives arrive to offer comfort.

Getting a ton of money from a tragedy of reminds me of the short story "The Monkey's Paw". Wiki it if interested.

Back
Top Bottom