Polaris is Done with Motorcycles | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Polaris is Done with Motorcycles

Really love the Victory Magnum I have and will continue to ride the wheels off it. Sorry to see the brand go as it was a great alternative to the HD/Metric options and fit well into a different niche.
Came as a shock to the Vic guys mostly because the Indians were marketed more for the older "plod-along" crowd (Harley) whereas the Vics were a bit more sporty/bold and were much better in the twisties. Plus they bought the electric bike, had Ness making customs, and looked to be committed in the 156/Pikes Peak builds/competition.

RE: Cruiser market's death...

I am not convinced the market for cruisers is gone, but it is starting to look like it's a victim of its own success. The turn over for bikes in that market is really small. I service tons of higher mileage bikes and the unanimous mentality is that: "this bike is great, I'll never replace it". Or translated: I'll only replace it if forced to by unforeseen circumstances. I spoke to a gentleman last week with a 15 year old Roadstar who spent 45 minutes complaining about the new bikes. Not aircooled - rads look stupid, styling is all wrong, not enough displacement, etc. I would venture a guess that even if we had the exact bike he wanted, updated to today's standards he still would not have been interested in it. And why should he? In his mind, the bike he had was perfect: it doesn't owe him anything, he's got it just the way he likes it, performs the way he wants... And there is the problem. If customers of a market segment are only buying every 15 years, that market has to try and attract customers from outside of their usually customer pool. This is partly why manufacturers are leaning away from the cruiser market. Most the bikes are great and will continue to be so, but new riders are not flocking to buy a V-Star 950, C50, Vulcan 900, Sportster 883 etc. The current trend is lighter, cheaper, do-everything-well bikes, and I'll be curious to see what all the riders who bought R3's, Ninja 300's, CBR300's etc want as their next bike, if they do decide to replace them.

I was sorry to hear of Victory's current demise, less is not better in our world of motorcycles.

Victory was heading towards a future of badge-engineered models much like the Octane. Most auto manufacturers have difficulty sustaining that idea, never mind Polaris. Performance cruisers are a tough sell to begin with, as evidenced by the Rocket III or the new V-Max. Cool bikes yes, wide appeal no. More choice is always better but the free market frowns sometimes. Pass me some get-back whips, it's time to RIDE. Bow-Dow-De-De-Dow.

The problem with the Victory brand was that it suffered from some bad marketing choices. It tried to sell progressive design to the cruiser market, who largely chose tradition as its highest priority. The Indian brand serves that function for Polaris. Project 156 was supposed to promise the American Sport Bike. At best the concept was a power cruiser, to compete with what, the V-Max? At worst, it was the Octane. And the Brammo Empulse targeting the smallest market of all.

The cruiser market is aging, but to say that all sport bike riders will eventually migrate to cruisers is to ignore the obvious. The rise of the adventure market is not just for style, it is responds to a desire for comfortable long distance rides that don't weigh in at 700 lbs +++. That market is broadening to meet the greater range of rider interest. From bikes like the MT/FJ-07m MT/FJ-09 Versys 650 & 1000 & Multistrada 950 serving the desire for reasonably priced tall sport tourers to the Africa Twin expanding the off road side, the adventure market is expanding and offering a wide variety of choice for the aging sport bike rider. Don't forget about the growth of naked, retro-naked and scrambler bikes. Even sport touring is seeing a mild resurgence with the success of the Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 (top selling bike in Europe), and the introduction of the GSX-S1000F, Super Duke GT and the Ducati Supersport.

All of these are viable alternatives to cruisers for aging sport bike riders who prefer not to ride in the gynecological position and have no desire to join the a$$less chaps and fringes fashion set. So Polaris wisely (from a business perspective) chose to focus on their traditional cruiser and abandon the Victory identity search. I feel bad for those who bought into the Victory look, because personally I like it much more than the traditional cruiser. But then again, I'm in my mid 50s and never see myself owning a cruiser. Why should I when there are so many other choices that actually fun to ride.

What are these other motorcycles that you guys are talking about?
I only know of cruisers ?
For me, all I ever wanted was a cruiser, since I first knew what a motorcycle was.
Really liked a lowered Honda 500x that I sat on at the show, and that one day may be my 2nd bike (3rd if you count the scooter) but I will always have the (a?) cruiser.
The fact that I'm slow and old has nothing to do with it.
Probably a good time to get a great deal on a Victory.
And to add to @LPakkala 's post; my Shadow is almost 20 years old and I've owned it for almost 7. I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon.

Sent from the Purple Zone

The problem with the Victory brand was that it suffered from some bad marketing choices. It tried to sell progressive design to the cruiser market, who largely chose tradition as its highest priority. The Indian brand serves that function for Polaris. Project 156 was supposed to promise the American Sport Bike. At best the concept was a power cruiser, to compete with what, the V-Max? At worst, it was the Octane. And the Brammo Empulse targeting the smallest market of all.

The cruiser market is aging, but to say that all sport bike riders will eventually migrate to cruisers is to ignore the obvious. The rise of the adventure market is not just for style, it is responds to a desire for comfortable long distance rides that don't weigh in at 700 lbs +++. That market is broadening to meet the greater range of rider interest. From bikes like the MT/FJ-07m MT/FJ-09 Versys 650 & 1000 & Multistrada 950 serving the desire for reasonably priced tall sport tourers to the Africa Twin expanding the off road side, the adventure market is expanding and offering a wide variety of choice for the aging sport bike rider. Don't forget about the growth of naked, retro-naked and scrambler bikes. Even sport touring is seeing a mild resurgence with the success of the Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 (top selling bike in Europe), and the introduction of the GSX-S1000F, Super Duke GT and the Ducati Supersport.

All of these are viable alternatives to cruisers for aging sport bike riders who prefer not to ride in the gynecological position and have no desire to join the a$$less chaps and fringes fashion set. So Polaris wisely (from a business perspective) chose to focus on their traditional cruiser and abandon the Victory identity search. I feel bad for those who bought into the Victory look, because personally I like it much more than the traditional cruiser. But then again, I'm in my mid 50s and never see myself owning a cruiser. Why should I when there are so many other choices that actually fun to ride.
Excellent post, I completely agree.
I also think alot of people ran out and bought a cruiser because of shows like sons of anarchy, West coast choppers etc. Many of those bikes never got through the break in miles.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Excellent post, I completely agree.
I also think alot of people ran out and bought a cruiser because of shows like sons of anarchy, West coast choppers etc. Many of those bikes never got through the break in miles.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Force fed boob tube fantasy from first light to sundown age appropriate 1+ does not equal sound lifestyle choices. Fully indoctrinated by age 3 there is but one choice; paint-by-numbers rebel. Mileage various.

All of these are viable alternatives to cruisers for aging sport bike riders who prefer not to ride in the gynecological position and have no desire to join the a$$less chaps and fringes fashion set.

This is why we rarely get all the cool stuff that Japan wisely guards, or bikes that are exclusive to the Euro market. North Americans are so hilariously concerned with image (in both directions) that they actively attack others people's choices. Without a group to belong to, any marketing here is powerless. I guess people were more affected by Eugene Levy in Armed & Dangerous that they would prefer to admit. Get back, get back! Heya, heya! *cue v-twin rumble*

Back
Top Bottom