Got my 2017 renewal paperwork, insurance going down again !! WOOT ... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got my 2017 renewal paperwork, insurance going down again !! WOOT ...

It isn't a big amount to get you back to the original levels, (at least in my case it came out pretty much equal to what I was paying last year), so effectively to keep the SAME coverage means NO decrease.

Classic "bait and switch", which was "permitted" by the gov't.

^^^^^ this. Check very carefully. My rates were down a tiny bit but coverage totals changed. I may enquire to see how much to get them back up to the original amounts. TD Meloche Monex alumni program here.

Thanks @hedo2002

Don't have my renewals yet but I'll be sure to check.

I ride a S1000R , premium went down about 8% to $1440 but so did my accident and total benefits which are SUPREMELY important to a motorcycle rider. We will see how much MORE it costs to get back to the same accident benefits.

I guarantee you it will be more than last year for the same benefits.

BB

I got my renewal, and my already very cheap rates dropped by $140/year... now paying $517 all in for both the DRZ and the Vstrom (liability and theft, no collision). $186/year for the DRZ, $331/year for the Vstrom.

Yes, my benefits dropped, but in my case I have excellent benefits through work that includes long term disability, rehabilitation, physio, hospital care, etc etc... so I don't think I suffer at all from this, if anything I just had a slight reduction in insurance duplication.

Yes in your case having excellent benefits thru work are crucial, what many don't understand is if you have workplace benefits, (or ANY other insurance), then those MUST be exhausted before your auto insurer will pay out a single dime, in terms of accident benefits. Every time a treatment plan is submitted for you, that they approve, you get a letter reminding you you MUST use all other insurance first..lol

Also your work place has hospital benefits, (which likely means you can get semi or private room), both of which are not available through auto insurer, as standard coverage. So you are well covered not to bother to "top you coverage back up" on the auto side.

I got my renewal, and my already very cheap rates dropped by $140/year... now paying $517 all in for both the DRZ and the Vstrom (liability and theft, no collision). $186/year for the DRZ, $331/year for the Vstrom.

Yes, my benefits dropped, but in my case I have excellent benefits through work that includes long term disability, rehabilitation, physio, hospital care, etc etc... so I don't think I suffer at all from this, if anything I just had a slight reduction in insurance duplication.

Hey, wondering if you are going with RBC Aviva or through some where else. What is Costco Aviva? Feel free to PM. Thanks.

Exactly I compared and for 40 bucks got my coverage back to 1016 rates will stilla reduction in premium of 150 bucks . Then again 62 , clean record, vfr paying 600 not bad i suppose.
^^^^^ this. Check very carefully. My rates were down a tiny bit but coverage totals changed. I may enquire to see how much to get them back up to the original amounts. TD Meloche Monex alumni program here.

How much sooner can yiu start shopping around ? Is 2 months too soon? Should i be planning to call around 2 weeks in advance instead?

Sent from phone, excuse typos.

How much sooner can yiu start shopping around ? Is 2 months too soon? Should i be planning to call around 2 weeks in advance instead?

You can get quotes anytime you want. You can change insurers anytime you want as well, but take note that if your current policy ends in 2 months (as you mentioned) and you cancel now, the way motorcycle insurance works, you'll still owe them those 2 months payments...so you might as well wait unless the savings offsets the 2 months of premiums you'll be on the hook for.

Having a new quote on file and ready to go with a new carrier to mesh with your natural end of policy date is your best bet now. I usually overlap policies by a day just to ensure there's no accidental gap.

You can get a quote anytime you like as PP said, most will honor a quote for a minimum of 30 days. Personally I like to have the new policy agreed to, (they will ask you when you want coverage to begin). Generally I shop about 45 days prior, then set coverage to begin, the day before my current ploicy expires. That also gives me time to notify current insurer policy will end with them at end of term, (so they have time to stop bank withdrawals).

As hedo 2002 stated. Mine went down $200. But when I increased to regain the lost coverage it was back up $200

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i just did a quote with a 2002 cb919
got $175/month

same time last year i was quoted $390/month

hilarious how 1 year riding experience and 1 year older makes.

My rates went down too;
Bike, 2016, 2017
2013 BMW K1300S, $1134, $ 876
2007 Suzuki DL650, $ 702, $ 581
2001 Honda VFR800, $ 928, $ 753

That brings me down from $2764 last year to $2210 this year.

Last edited:
I just switched mine from TD to Aviva through Mantha. It saved me $250. 2015 Concours14 with 5 year new vehicle replacement coverage. TD jack up the price because I took my car away from them last year (which saved me another $300 BTW). Mantha also offer multi-bike discount. They gave me a quote for both the VFR800 and the Concours14 for $1500 last year.

Yea someone else also mentioned Aviva through Costco, will call on Monday...I tried RBC (who now is Aviva) but they wanted $1900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished switching all of my house/car/bike insurance and saved $1,000 with slightly better coverage through Cornerstone.

Just got my renewal paperwork in the mail, Aviva actually wants a few more cents a month starting April. Assuming my coverage has declined like everybody else, I guess that means my premium went up?

No accidents or tickets in the last year... I was expecting insurance go down after my first season :confused:

Just got my renewal paperwork in the mail, Aviva actually wants a few more cents a month starting April. Assuming my coverage has declined like everybody else, I guess that means my premium went up? No accidents or tickets in the last year... I was expecting insurance go down after my first season :confused:
First year people are more cautious and willing to learn to ride. Second and third is when they throw caution to the wind. i.e. they get cocky, while "mastering" their ride, and/or upgrading to a larger bike. That's my opinion of what's going on anyways.

Last edited:
First year people are more cautious and willing to learn to ride. Second and third is when they throw caution to the wind. i.e. they get cocky, while "mastering" their ride, and/or upgrading to a larger bike.

Same thing just happened to me. Was paying $116 a month now $130 a month with my coverage being reduced like everyone else. 28 years old full M, zero tickets or accidents. I have had lapses in my insurance history for the bike though when i went through periods of being bike less during the 10 years I've had my license. So i guess thats whats hurting me.

First year people are more cautious and willing to learn to ride. Second and third is when they throw caution to the wind. i.e. they get cocky, while "mastering" their ride, and/or upgrading to a larger bike. That's my opinion of what's going on anyways.

I follow the logic, but I had heard premiums drop after the first season

Back
Top Bottom