Got my 2017 renewal paperwork, insurance going down again !! WOOT ... | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got my 2017 renewal paperwork, insurance going down again !! WOOT ...

Hey guys
didn't see the need to start a new thread.
currently paying $352/ month for
2 cars+848evo+house with Allstate.(2drivers-cars+1 motorcycle rider).Looking for another insurance company to see if I can do better than this amount, if not . Then I am ok with this monthly premium.
thanks

@nousername that doesn't sound too bad to me.
But I might be overpaying for my auto/home policy

Sent from the Purple Zone

FYI if you up your accident benefits on a policy which includes both bike and car (same insurer), then you only pay it once for all vehicles. I confirmed this last time I chatted with All State.

FYI if you up your accident benefits on a policy which includes both bike and car (same insurer), then you only pay it once for all vehicles. I confirmed this last time I chatted with All State.

Correct, as long as all vehicles are with the same insurer, then you only pay AB, (Accident Benefits), once as they basically cover you. You only pay "duplicate" premiums for the "vehicle portion" of the policy, as those cover damage etc to the vehicle(s). The majority of the "reduced benefits" approved by the government last year, (which makes many THINK, there overall premiums went down), are in the AB portion of the policies.

@hedo2002 I'm pretty sure you mentioned it, and I'm asking you because I know unfortunately you had to use the insurance AB, but looking over what I have and the optional benefits, I don’t see where I might really need to up the premiums. Maybe you could shed some light on what I may be missing?

Well, you can eat up the $1 mil pretty quickly, especially if you say lose a leg in a collision. I was talking to the manager of the Allstate office, he was telling me they had a client who lost his leg below knee in bike crash. Allstate ended up buying the client a house that was already wheelchair accessible, as it was cheaper to do that, then to retrofit, the client's first home.

As he explained, yes Allstate gets the old house and sells it, BUT your AB doesn't get "replenished" by the amount your current home sold for, so the clients AB took the hit of $600,000 just for the new home, and required assistive devices etc. Then the rehab and prosthesis, ate VERY quickly into the remaining $400,000.

Even, though my collision was pretty mild, in less than a year I have eaten almost $30,000 of the $50,000, (I was moved out of MIG category, $3,500 max, even before I left hospital), they are looking to do some modifications to my shop, to assist me, to return to work a bit more, (I am still just permitted to work 3 hours a day a couple of days a week, 10 months post claim). The cost of the equipment and renos are pegged at about another $15,000. Now once I hit the $50,000 the lawyers will duke it out to have me declared, (as a "legal definition"), as a catastrophic injury, which will then open the AB to the $1 mill max. They are saying I will likely require some form of Physio for the remainder of my life, Which would be about $20,000 per year.

What most don't understand they see $1 mil for medical, in their policy. Well just because you have it doesn't mean you can access it. There are three "stages" to the medical of AB

Minor Injury Category, (MIG). Gives you $3,500 max in rehab etc. This it the one insurers TRY to keep most claims in.
Then once you surpass the $3,500 level the mid range category is $3,501 - $50,000. In order to get to that you will likely require a Lawyer to help you fight for it.
Then the last category is catastrophic injury category which covers $50,001 - $1 million.

No idea why they didn't come up with various other categories, between $50,000 and 1 mil.

Joe, that is why I went with, same level as last year, which by doing so actually increases the limits to $1 mil of each, then $3 mil total. After having two claims, (different companies), I have learned a LOT about the insurance regs and how insurers work. Also me being self employed, there is no such thing as too much protection. Obviously everyone's circumstances are different, work coverage, families, (I have no dependents), etc. so I suggest everyone talk to their financial planner, or just look at what your situation is and decide is it worth it. In my case it cost pretty much the exact amount of my "reduction" form last year to get slightly increased coverage.

Thanks @hedo2002 that's exactly the type of info I was looking for.
Gonna call and find out what the increase is on the bike today.

Ok
Just called my Insurance
To up to last year's benefits (inrease from $65k/ max 5 years to $130k/ max 5 years for non minor non cat injuries takes me up to $28/month ($0.66/month less than last year)
To add the $1 million others coverages, and up my income replacement 1 tier puts me up to $462/ year
Now I just need to see what coverage I have at work (as I have good benefits, and like @hedo2002 iirc mentioned a while back, they will MAKE you exhaust all your work coverage before their benefits will kick in)

hmm... I saw that caveat that they will make your work pay for a chunk first. In light of that, I didn't select any of the optional coverage items since my work coverage is fairly comprehensive and combined with my wife we have more then enough coverage for all of the items.

Back
Top Bottom