Ideas to generate a second income. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ideas to generate a second income.

I think at 100k+ subscribers at least with millions of views. Also folks do affiliate marketing for example make up tutorials, image consulting etc. You do have to put a lot of work and it takes huge amount of time and patience. I would not quit my job and do this full time though to start with. More like a hobby with a potential :dontknow:

Good timing for this thread as I'm always thinking of something to do on the side but most times it's just 'wantrepreneurship' in me that does the day dreaming. I've got the time for now, and always thought about an ecommerce site but always stuck at the step of 'what do I sell?'. Obviously finding a market isn't that difficult if there's a ton of stores for stuff there's a market to keep them all busy. I have a small investment property which is cash flow positive but that money is not touched by me until needed.

Outside of that some side gigs with dad (painting, floors, cabinets, etc.) brings in fairly good money. I think last year we hit around 10k or so just cause we were lucky and at the right time right place kind of thing. We don't go for more as we are both full time employed so strictly evenings/weekends. I'm sure if I pushed more for it the return would be nicer.

I'd definitely like to do more though, nothing wrong with having additional streams of income. And it's shocking what people will buy! I see moms selling little trinkets online for a few bucks but I'm sure they're making some sort of $ on it...otherwise what's the point. I'd recommend ecommerce and set up as a drop shipper so you don't deal with inventory...and the shipping will be taken care of by someone else. Check out 'reddit/entrepreneur' for some ideas...always an interesting read there. Looking forward to seeing more responses here.

At what point does youtube generate income?

CPM's range from $1-2. So at a $1.50CPM, and lets say you'd need $6000 a month to live comfortably, remembering everything is paid in USD, you'd need about 3 million views a month. A lot of Youtubers sell shirts and stickers to generate more income because there is so much mark-up on them. A joking rumour is that 6Foot4Honda bought a house off those obnoxious looking 'Back the f*ck up' hoodies, as he's sold like 12000 of them.

At what point does youtube generate income?
It is a very interesting question.

1) you can attach commercials to your videos and you get paid per click. 100000k view is about 2k

2) you can link products under said videos, you get a specific link from Amazon and anyone that visits that link and buys you get a percentage. Once that person clicks the link, anything they buy on Amazon you get a percentage.

3) you can sell key chains and stickers, by promoting them to your viewers, for some damn reason people actually buy the crap and if you have 100k subscribers and a quarter of them buy a key chain or / and a sticker at 2 to 5 dollars do the math.

There is another way but I can't remember it.

Learn a trade. Electrician, plumber, carpenter, lots of side work out there lol. Sell drugs or pimp yourself out, easy money

Thing is... By working to earn extra income, you're "working".
You only have two hands and there are only so many hours in a day...

Try taking a hard look at your spending/expenses. Cut out the waste and it's like making $ without having to work

Lawn cutting? In the early-mid '90's I inherited a customer list. $250-$350/week (doesn't sound like much all of a sudden) after work when I was serving my trade apprenticeship. Did that for three seasons. Paid for my motocross. My buddy retired from Dofasco millrighting few years back. The wife wouldn't have him sitting around the house (expensive taste) so he started handyman business specializing student housing and lawn cutting. Over time he's found lawn cutting to be the most lucrative, least hassle. Exhibit A: He just bought a brand new diesel Ram. Sure it's made in Mexico but that's still pretty good for lawn work. And irony.

Secondary income? Anything ecommerce. You can make, import or distribute from anywhere and have global reach. You can even start a gofundme or kickstarer page to start thing off.

always thought about an ecommerce site but always stuck at the step of 'what do I sell?'.

Sell insects....
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations encourages entomophagy -- or the eating of insects -- because of its environmental and health benefits.

Most insects likely produce less greenhouse gases, require less water and feed, and need less land than traditional livestock, according to the FAO. They also tend to be high in fatty acids, fibre and micronutrients, and don't tend to transmit diseases to humans

OR,, you could grow something ... like bean sprouts... or big Onions! ... call your basement farm a catchy name,, and the "local" restaurants will buy your local grown , non gmo, organic,,, natural ,,, over priced produce

Given our taxation levels here in Ont./Can. it's no wonder that what people really want when looking for an extra income is an "under the table" source of revenue.
You're almost forced to go black market in that why bother going legit, doing so much extra work only to have the state take half of whatever extra you earn.
I mean your probably looking to bring more money in because your primary income is being taxed to a point where you "need" more money just to be able to live a little.

Government is stealing your money anyway

Given our taxation levels here in Ont./Can. it's no wonder that what people really want when looking for an extra income is an "under the table" source of revenue.
You're almost forced to go black market in that why bother going legit, doing so much extra work only to have the state take half of whatever extra you earn.
I mean your probably looking to bring more money in because your primary income is being taxed to a point where you "need" more money just to be able to live a little.

Too true and worse if you try to or have to go legitimate. Licenses, insurance and fees eat up a ton of cash. A lot of moonlighters think they're doing well enough to justify quitting their day job and going full time. It doesn't always work.

Government is stealing your money anyway

I like to think of it in terms of .gov stealing my time and energy. Feels realer that way.

Are there things you can do with your primary career to increase your earnings?

There is. I can make an easy 20/25K in extra income per year but there's the whole "conflict of interest" thing.

There is. I can make an easy 20/25K in extra income per year but there's the whole "conflict of interest" thing.
If it's not illegal and you fully disclose what your doing, what's holding you back? 20k is no small chunk of change.

@Mina - if it means that you go after your company's customers for similar/same product/service or whatever you do, then definitely they won't be cool with it.

If it's a different industry / product / service then it should be ok...but each company is different. I know my previous company was pretty tight on such things...this one not sure but don't have a service/product I've thought of...and selling insects doesn't get me going in any way shape or form!

Some good paying employers don't want you doing any other work after hours. I guess they don't want to pay full pop for a tired employee? Druthers and whatnot.

Some good paying employers don't want you doing any other work after hours. I guess they don't want to pay full pop for a tired employee? Druthers and whatnot.

Also if an employee of Acme Widget moonlights and does a no-no it could come out in the media that "John Doe, an employee of Acme Widget screwed up" possibly leading people to think Acme Widget screwed up.

If they paid well, wouldn't need a 2nd income stream. One would think.

If they paid well, wouldn't need a 2nd income stream. One would think.

Employers valuate remuneration differently than employees. And that's before taxes.

Back
Top Bottom