Guard rail safety | GTAMotorcycle.com

Guard rail safety

rstnick

Happy New Year to all!
Many safe rides this year.

I was reading on another international bike forum about guard rails, and thought I need to share this here.
Someone was posting about a bike route in Australia, Putty Road.
https://motorcycleparadise.blogspot.com.ar/2007/03/best-motorcycle-roads-in-australia-9.html

Another person mention how unsafe the guard rails are on Putty Road, so I had a better look, and they look similar to here, in places.
"Putty road is of incredible beauty but homicidal for motorcyclists; full of trees and regular, not cowled, guardrails. You don't want to fall on a bend there.."
It was suggested there should be cowled guard rails.
I googled cowled guard rails and nothing came up.

Asked him what a cowled guard rail is, and here we are.
These are in Spain:

Thought I should send this on to the roads department, then thought this site would be a good start too.

Some of the guard rails here, if not all, do have a 6" lower strip/rail running below the main guard rail.

I have had, on two separate occasions, the unpleasant feeling of seeing a fellow rider meet up with a guard rail. Luckily both were able to ride away again.

Last edited:
It is guiderail not guardrail. Guardrail implies it will keep you safe from all obstacles behind. There are several standards and tons of testing done to implement the guiderail that is installed along provincial highways. Warrants must be met for its installation and there are several guidelines for when and how it is implemented. To the best of my knowledge I have never seen guiderail tested for a motorcycle collision, typically it is tested by cars and transports.

A quick check of rnickeymouse crash material confirms, submarining guardrails hurts.... conversely, you have the 50 ft drop on the other side.

....... You don't want to fall on a bend there......

I don't want to fall on a bend anywhere and I ride accordingly. There are lots of YT and Liveleak videos out there that show consequences of riders falling in a corner and then hitting trees, cars, trucks, other bikes, you name it, a guardrail can be the least of your worries.

Yep, body surfed a guiderail before. I don't recommend it. Bike was stuck under it a bit too.

+1
Body surfed on an asphalt barrier before too. Bike's tail exploded in front of my eyes. Don't recommend either.

The morale of these stories is to just not hit any barrier period!

Last edited:
油井緋色;2468380 said:
+1
Body surfed on an asphalt barrier before too. Bike's tail exploded in front of my eyes. Don't recommend either.

The morale of these stories is to just not hit any barrier period!

At least it stopped you and your bike from sliding into live highway traffic ;)

Bikes are basically TIE fighters when it comes to stability and durability. Never touch, or get touched by ANYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom