Useless oil filter wrench | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Useless oil filter wrench

Tighten till it seats and then 1/2 turn.Very few people do this.They are compelled to give it more for fear of it falling off.My filters get 1/2 turn and then safety wire.Only takes a few seconds.Rarely need a wrench to loosen it.Never any leaks.
Oilfiltersafety.jpg

images

Honestly I bought this and it works perfect. I have used the strap type and this is much easier.

Ive had the Leslie cap style for years now, works every time

Strap wrench only works well when you have a lot of room to use them properly, which on my Kawi would be nearly impossible or just really awkward

I just spent the extra few $$$ on the K&N filters with hexnuts on the end. Saved massive headaches and was a lot cleaner that what I used to do which was ram a screwdriver through the filter body and twist it off. Mind you, I never had one stick with the last method.
I had a K&N filter that was so tight that the nut on the end ripped right off.

I ended up using the tool RobVN posted above, which worked great. That is the best tool to use if the filter is tight.

Why not get the proper filter wrench for the size of filter you have and save all the headaches. A rubber strap style is going to slip unless the filter is clean and has no oil or dirt on it. What bike do you have? Just get the correct one for your bike : https://fortnine.ca/en/bikemaster-oil-filter-wrench Kawasaki uses the 65mm btw!

3c1c133c9c154b58269dfa168283ac22.jpg

^This.

I used to use a band-style one on the car, but when I got the current bike I needed something that mounted to the end of the filter (as there is no clearance around the sides for mine...filter sits up at the rear, crowded by the swingarm, cat, etc). One of these, plus an extension and a ratchet makes life super easy. Since I got one as well, I've been using it on the car too (seems most Hondas use the same sized filters both for cars and bikes), as it never slips like the band sometimes did.

^This.

I used to use a band-style one on the car, but when I got the current bike I needed something that mounted to the end of the filter (as there is no clearance around the sides for mine...filter sits up at the rear, crowded by the swingarm, cat, etc). One of these, plus an extension and a ratchet makes life super easy. Since I got one as well, I've been using it on the car too (seems most Hondas use the same sized filters both for cars and bikes), as it never slips like the band sometimes did.

Nice...where did you happen to get this? :p

Bought a Honda filter removal tool for $8 a few weeks ago and worked great to remove the filter from the bike....unfortunately removing the filter from the tool was a whole different story! Damn thing didn't want to come apart which really sucked and made the oil change a longer process than it should've been.

Have done the screw driver through the filter and twist as a last resort....works very nicely and not too dirty in the process.

Nice...where did you happen to get this? :p

Technically from Honda for more than it was really worth...but I also got a nice backup from an Amsoil dealer this fall. Nice guy...could use a few more bikes in his garage though... lol

Last edited:
Take a strip of course sandpaper and double it over with the sand exposed to the outside, then wrap the strip around the filter so that the sand rests up against the filter. Then on the exposed sand side wrap your crappy tire strap wrench, bob's your uncle the filter will spin off. ;)

I can't remember the brand, but the oil filter housing was covered in essentially sandpaper. Easy to mount (too much torque and you scraped skin) and easy to remove (lots of grip). Very clever idea.

channellock-B00004SBCU-440-profile-lg.jpg

Works for me, every time.

x2. I have a variety of different oil filter removal tools including the cap styles shown in other posts. I always try hand first, cap style second...and if that fails (they can sometimes slip especially after they start to wear out) the channel locks come out and make short work of the job. They're not always the easiest to get into place depending on the location and orientation of the filter, but you don't need a lot of contact to get the job done with those.

A few brands make em with rougher ends.
fram-oil-filters-3-99-each-with-any-assortment-of-12-filters-2.png

Yes, that's the idea, except the one I used was fully covered in the grippy stuff and it was beige/gold. Purolator maybe?

i do hand snug, then a tad more

Tighten till it seats and then 1/2 turn.Very few people do this.They are compelled to give it more for fear of it falling off.My filters get 1/2 turn and then safety wire.Only takes a few seconds.Rarely need a wrench to loosen it.Never any leaks.
Oilfiltersafety.jpg

Interestingly enough, I check out the oil filter location when looking at new cars.
I run a filter for a Mazda on my Yamaha....longer and therefore more surface filter area.
Any chance it would fit a longer filter or is it a BMW only thread like Suzukis?

***edit***
These might fit the R1200:
[SIZE=-1]These Oil Filters have 3/4" x 16tpi threads,
Recommended filters in blue.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Available filters include:[/SIZE]
  • Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
  • Mobil1 M1-102
  • Bosch 3330
  • Supertech ST3614
  • AMSOil SMF 122
  • EMGO 10-26740
  • Fram PH6063
  • Purolator ML16825