New Bike Without Test Ride | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Bike Without Test Ride

Just bought one this month, runs well, did the oil, doing the coolant tomorrow, fork seals and oil some time this winter. If there's a warm day I'm hoping to take it out. I just judged the owner, his knowledge, his attitude, the state of his garage/house etc. Front fender had a small crack, when I pointed it out he pulled out a brand new fender shipped from Japan. Gave me loads of unopened motul oil. Plus the bike was in pristine condition, brakes and tires brand new, not a scratch still has the original tool kit, full stack of maintenance records and so on. Keep in mind this is a k6 gsxr, so to have this all intact was impressive. Anything less and I wouldn't buy without a test ride. BUT I guess I still have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy private without a test ride, personally....too much could be wrong that wouldn't be evident from the bike sitting idling. It'd be no fun to buy something that you discover only after you've handed over the cash and brought it home that the tranny has a shift fork out of it or something, but for one example.

I do understand the hesitation on behalf of sellers not wanting to allow test-pilots, but after the money is handed over (in case of a wreck vs an otherwise "normal" ride that may show any faults) there's much less risk for the seller - if the rider wrecks, well, you don't own it anymore, right?

The insurance aspect clouds the picture, however....that's the worrysome part in the back of my head with test rides.

I don't give or ask for test rides. Too many what ifs in the insurance and liability departments. I will demonstrate the bike.

One also has to realize that the test pilot may be unfamiliar with the bike. When I was selling my Concours an interested party wanted a test ride but his experience was a scooter. With a car one can stop or drive really slowly while adjusting to shifts etc. It won't fall over.

If the tester has an at fault it's your insurance rates and if they aren't licensed maybe your house and RRSPs.

The test pilot could sign anything you want but if he has empty pockets the injured party goes straight for your throat. Promises written on scraps of paper aren't worth the ink.

OP - if you can wait a bit then do test ride it. Everyone seems to like that Yamaha, I've met quite a few people that have it, I even tested it last year myself and liked it as well - nevertheless you never know.

With older used bikes, I don't care that much because I can flip them for basically what I paid, if not more.
With a new bike - I'm test riding it, too much money too lose if I dislike it. It's easier with a full M but some dealers will let you do it with M2.

Most popular bikes are available for test rides, contrary to what some uneducated soul stated earlier in this thread. You do not have to wait for demo days....

I ended up with a Fazer8 but that's mainly because I do a lot of touring and the touring version of FZ-09 - FJ-09 would cost me $3,000 more at the time. Plus I'm not too huge on the 185km speed restriction.

Yep, wouldn't want to have to deal with that pesky 185 speed restriction in a 200 km/h zone....lol

OP - if you can wait a bit then do test ride it. Everyone seems to like that Yamaha, I've met quite a few people that have it, I even tested it last year myself and liked it as well - nevertheless you never know.

With older used bikes, I don't care that much because I can flip them for basically what I paid, if not more.
With a new bike - I'm test riding it, too much money too lose if I dislike it. It's easier with a full M but some dealers will let you do it with M2.

Most popular bikes are available for test rides, contrary to what some uneducated soul stated earlier in this thread. You do not have to wait for demo days....

I ended up with a Fazer8 but that's mainly because I do a lot of touring and the touring version of FZ-09 - FJ-09 would cost me $3,000 more at the time. Plus I'm not too huge on the 185km speed restriction.

And that is why i buy japanese (even though im tempted by triumphs/ktms)
+1

My mechanic laughed at me when I said I was hoping it'll be like my GSXR. ****ing European bikes!

I will demonstrate the bike.

That's a fair alternative as I do fully understand the risks associated with test pilots.

I'd use discretion, as I would expect (and have received) from others. If a 16 year old kid shows up in a slammed civic with rap blaring from the car, yeah, sorry...no test ride. If a 40+ year old guy shows up on his own bike and can show me a full M or it's clear he knows his stuff, well, I'm likely to make a different decision.

Whenever I've gone and looked at bikes apparently I put forth a decent impression as I've always been offered a test ride, never had to ask.

My VTX I was surprised, actually....I did have somewhat of a business relationship with the seller (he was a customer of mine at work that I saw once every few weeks) but aside from that he had no idea at all if I even knew how to ride aside from my indication that I'd rode for years previously (and we all know that a lot of people claim all softs of experience they may not actually have)...but he offered me a test ride without even asking (I'd just asked to hear it running), in the company's dirt parking lot at that.

New bike, heaviest bike I ever rode, no gear at all (it was an unexpected find, I hadn't planned to ride) and he tossed me the keys and said "Take her for a scoot". I honestly can't say I'd do the same.

Last edited:

Funny enough I was at the show this weekend and finally had the chance to sit on the FJ-09...and something that checked all the boxes quickly turned into a nope. Now looking towards the FZ8 or Fazer8. Any naggles that you have about the Fazer?

Funny enough I was at the show this weekend and finally had the chance to sit on the FJ-09...and something that checked all the boxes quickly turned into a nope. Now looking towards the FZ8 or Fazer8. Any naggles that you have about the Fazer?

I have an FZ1 which is essential an FZ8 with more power. Great bike, no real complaints except for the fuel range. Reserve comes on at about 220km highway riding, city has been as low as 130.

I love my Fazer8.

Pros: reliable; decent fuel economy; good power; slick transmission; looks pretty good (subjective I know...); good insurance rates; comfortable
Cons: a wee bit porky (467lbs wet); lots of plastic to buzz; basic suspension and brakes; only made for a few years

I'm thinking of getting a Tuono in the spring and if that comes to pass my hope is to also keep the Fazer for "everyday" use due to its comfort, reliability and fuel economy. With an Akra race header and Yoshi R77 it sounds great too :)

I love my Fazer8.

Pros: reliable; decent fuel economy; good power; slick transmission; looks pretty good (subjective I know...); good insurance rates; comfortable
Cons: a wee bit porky (467lbs wet); lots of plastic to buzz; basic suspension and brakes; only made for a few years

I'm thinking of getting a Tuono in the spring and if that comes to pass my hope is to also keep the Fazer for "everyday" use due to its comfort, reliability and fuel economy. With an Akra race header and Yoshi R77 it sounds great too :)

Thanks for your insight, thankfully some of those cons don't bother me too much...My current Katana is about 460lbs, looking at the FZ8 so less plastic to buzz, I'm 120 soaking wet on a good day so suspension and brakes should be more than adequate, and there are options for upgrading. I was really surprised about the insurance quote as it was fairly reasonable. And I was also happy to find a few options for hard luggage so that touring can be done easily.

Reliability, comfort, and decent fuel economy were primary concerns since I use my bike to commute 150km a day. I know fuel economy won't be as great as something like a 650 Ninja or the like...but I have to walk into the garage and smile when I throw a leg over regardless. Plus something sporty enough I could take it to the track or nice weekend run if I wanted.

My son was pleased when his FZ8 came in at the same price as his previous 650...and it's a handful.
How that gets under the sports bike class I don't know.

Fuel range SUCKS !!!!>> guess who carries the spare.

3TarNeDvPVpDvrdg6hlZ_L5dJVswduT2quvWWZtcwHXMryYrZFbyz5LgGDZik8I4qnnGAeAfwi3f9lcvL494pwyVWGfSRiENZkMLav5wi7127C_hLKIHVcZuC393PGR3kyzu2IHvpF572MNrzG5NG_USfnUglthohQt055RkdQZWegzHyAeYq3A1zAUy0zyLm8tKHs_-ycoFnLFY_teWCtx4isBqUZc-PAzBL05XA44nN4t3iTd_ZRGpbyPtiRjlKf40fEJwp07MvPupSJuIw0hNnCIAo6aj3LW0euKyFGECmhGJG54PR9BKT_Bz0OQ0pAjLhuO2CahDOX_jnlNyv3vqZN3TzrYZ48_S7xjDvQRsCoLIWhj9gY0quU8JR_yLDIR4HVw7Ojz-RYjy_Q6hAyQoa_1eXW2FqeIAYEsojE5awab_CU7bDGBPiwF2t4NYHOZPukhMSDko65XHcKghPd8baUfm2hlQuBpjyOTzPhcIPAR26jOtV-JbHzG_IShDTS_1cQVC_VkxkMIfEQI5XYBf9kwu-aVY2FDPUg04VXJx3wvQLoNrcMnhJS5Pj4xVgdoC27f_iHgR12Grfj0HzdqCXjY7IMHuyeOeuqIWSez0GRDmb251=w1464-h1456-no

was that Wee ever loaded...lots of sparks on rough bridge joints.

My son was pleased when his FZ8 came in at the same price as his previous 650...and it's a handful.
How that gets under the sports bike class I don't know.

Fuel range SUCKS !!!!

2013 Fazer8 is on the short list for potential next bike. What's up with the fuel range?

2013 Fazer8 is on the short list for potential next bike. What's up with the fuel range?

It's a sizeable engine (779cc) in a heavy-ish bike (467lb-wet) with a fairly large frontal area so it's not going to get 500cc-like fuel economy figures. Fuelly suggests the average is around 43MPG (around 5.5-6 L/100km) which is consistent with what I see in mixed riding.

In my experience fuel economy doesn't necessarily scale with displacement. 43MPG isn't too bad though, unless you're using imperial gallons. That gives it what, 225-250 km per tank? I guess the tank is a bit on the smallish side.

In my experience fuel economy doesn't necessarily scale with displacement.

Fair enough. 779cc and a respectable 105HP and sporting-leanings then :)

43MPG isn't too bad though, unless you're using imperial gallons. That gives it what, 225-250 km per tank? I guess the tank is a bit on the smallish side.

US gallons.

Those KM figures don't look far off the mark for mixed riding. If I were to tootle along at 80kph on secondary roads touring Algonquin it's going to go quite a bit further than stoplight-to-stoplight or 120kph 401 (i.e. mixed) riding. Fuelly showed numbers from 38 to 46MPG.

The tank is 17L which is average as tank sizes go.

You can test ride bikes??!!

If you hop on and ride away like the guy did when I was selling mine you can. I thought he just wanted to hear it run. At least he didn't steal it or dump it in the parking lot.

Bought my daytona 675 without ever being on a sport bike, or seeing thisnoerticular bike. - butt test is out if you can. Test out as many as possible actually!

Sent from phone, excuse typos.

To add to previous comments:

Porky is relative. Fazer8 basically replaced a VFR800 in my stable of two. That was porky. :)
Fazer8 is very similar to FZ1, same frame and some other parts, very similar fairings, with the engine being a downsized version of the litre bike.
I prefer it to the naked version because of the long distance riding I do.

Range is not the greatest, especially after the VFR but I can squeeze out 280-290km out of it while touring and still have a couple of km left. Local riding I get about 250km on a tank. So it's not a tragedy. I generally take a break every 2 hours anyhow.

Buzzing - I haven't experienced any (yet).

Suspension - was upgraded and is fully adjustable from 2013 I believe. That is the model year I got. Makes a difference. I tweaked it a bit for my 220lbs and it is quite decent.

Seat - found it uncomfortable with too much forward slant. I fixed that issue by purchasing a snowmobile gel seat cover from Amazon and trimming it to size. 20 bucks.

All in all - highly recommended. You can still find them new at some dealers, with good discounts. Even used should be a great buy. They haven't sold well here. Came out too early I think.
Nowadays this class of motorcycle is booming. Everyone coming off SSs. For reference - I paid something like $6,500 for mine with 1,500km on it mid last year. Had a Puig screen and fender delete. Private sale. Dealer wanted around $7,700 for a 2013 demo with 50km on it. Plus tax.

A Delkevic carbon fibre muffler brought out a great tone out of the exhaust. That's the only mod I've done. Stock exhaust looks like a medieval cannon.

Last edited:
I've bought two new bikes not only with no test ride but also sight unseen - because the model had been announced but was not yet available. I just trusted in both cases that they were going to be awesome. Both were.

I've only ever test-ridden one bike model that I ended up buying another example of ... the cbr125. I went on a Honda test ride at Mosport with a bunch of other racers, all of us on the then-new 125s. Bought one the next day.

It would be ideal to test ride a new bike purchase. Sometimes it's just not in the cards.

I would suggest for a new rider that isn't familiar with the various ergos and how the machine operates and handles, to get out and do some demos.

From cruiser to SS and several in between, it can be a surprise. Some good and some not so much.

I took out a big touring bike out last summer and was surprised it didn't offer as much protection from the elements as I thought it would. It was nice on the highway and a real pig at slow speeds where you could feel it's weight. Floor boards and gps screen was different too.

Some things I liked. Others I didn't and reassured me, my current stable is just fine and a touring bike like the one I was looking at isn't in the near future.

So are you test riding it to make sure it's mechanical up to speed or are you testing it out to make sure it feels right? Maybe a combo of the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom