New Bike Without Test Ride | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Bike Without Test Ride

I bought my FJ-09 this year without a test ride and have been very happy with it, albeit after a few modifications. The stock windshield is useless - take it off or replace it - and the bike is fairly vibe-y at speed, especially in the hands and feet. There are inexpensive solutions for vibrations. Overall though, the ergos are great for touring and the bike moves real good in sport mode.

d

The only one I test rode was used from a dealership in 2001.

As for selling bikes, I'm not opposed to letting buyer test ride, but I have your cash in hand before that happens.

Bought my V-strom based on research without a test ride, and was very happy with it. Test rode 5 different new bikes before I bought the Strom's replacement. Reviews can help you narrow things down, but 1/2 an hour on a bike will tell you if its your thing or not. Ended up buying something I didn't expect to like as much as I did. 75k later, I'm still really happy with my choice. GP Bikes has demos. Kahuna allowed test rides, Snow City does not (except demo days). Guess where I bought!

I bought my first bike (Ducati Scrambler) before I even got my M1, so couldn't even legally do a test ride. After researching and considering the many other models in a similar class, I just knew it was what I wanted. No regrets at all. Good luck!

Ive done both, with luck never had an issue

I've also bought a few bikes that had sat for 20+yrs so a test ride wasn't going to work out.

My current bike was purchased used, sight unseen. However the previous owner was someone I know and trust from Edge Performance in Bradford, zero risk on my end. I'd never normally buy a bike that way.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

The last bike I bought, the seller was somewhat hesitant to let me sample. Later that afternoon when he let me ride it I thought "wow, what a turd". What I didn't know at the time was that these are actual turds, not just a bad sample.

I don't know how so many of you can buy bikes and cars without a test drive. Maybe because of my short legs, but I have to at least see if I can make it on the bike, reach the controls, not have to stretch for handlebars etc.
And cars...holy blindspots batman! I hve sat in aome vehicles that I loved, only to realize that I would never be comfortable driving them.
I test rode every bike that I looked at, including the one that I purchased. With no money down. Maybe because I have a trusting face. Maybe because the bikes weren't worth that much. Maybe because they figured if I damaged them, that my fat @$$ wouldn't be able to run away.

Sent from the Purple Zone

I think the last one.

Harley lets you test ride. In fact they even give you a jacket and helmet if you dont have one.

I don't know how so many of you can buy bikes and cars without a test drive. Maybe because of my short legs, but I have to at least see if I can make it on the bike, reach the controls, not have to stretch for handlebars etc.
And cars...holy blindspots batman! I hve sat in aome vehicles that I loved, only to realize that I would never be comfortable driving them.
I test rode every bike that I looked at, including the one that I purchased. With no money down. Maybe because I have a trusting face. Maybe because the bikes weren't worth that much. Maybe because they figured if I damaged them, that my fat @$$ wouldn't be able to run away.

I think it's mostly the emotional side getting the better of us.

Older riders are easier to trust
(otherwise never trust anyone over 30?)

Bought my GSXR750 without a test ride. Ended up being the most bullet proof bike I have ever seen or heard of ('cept for maybe a buddy's ZX-6R that should have been totalled twice).

My RSV1000R was test ridden (bought from a friend). It has, so far, not been good lol. I ****ing lost two bolts on the highway.

油井緋色;2468517 said:
Bought my GSXR750 without a test ride. Ended up being the most bullet proof bike I have ever seen or heard of ('cept for maybe a buddy's ZX-6R that should have been totalled twice).

My RSV1000R was test ridden (bought from a friend). It has, so far, not been good lol. I ****ing lost two bolts on the highway.

And that is why i buy japanese (even though im tempted by triumphs/ktms)

I wouldn't buy private without a test ride, personally....too much could be wrong that wouldn't be evident from the bike sitting idling. It'd be no fun to buy something that you discover only after you've handed over the cash and brought it home that the tranny has a shift fork out of it or something, but for one example.

I do understand the hesitation on behalf of sellers not wanting to allow test-pilots, but after the money is handed over (in case of a wreck vs an otherwise "normal" ride that may show any faults) there's much less risk for the seller - if the rider wrecks, well, you don't own it anymore, right?

The insurance aspect clouds the picture, however....that's the worrysome part in the back of my head with test rides.

Bought an RM 125 at fire sale price sans test ride. The bike had, I believe, 8 or 9 extra neutrals. It was a sub $10 fix. Oil drain plug had a spring loaded plunger gone missing. I'd rather be lucky than good.

Only one used bike (and I only buy used) afforded me the opportunity to test ride it before buying it. I would love to be able to test ride every bike I buy, but it's not realistic for me to walk away from every seller that doesn't let me. It would let me know a lot more about whether or not I like the bike, rather than anything useful about the mechanical condition. You can assess a lot (not everything) with a pair of gloves and a flashlight.

Two bikes I sold were test ridden at some point (not necessarily by the ultimate buyers) because I felt pretty comfortable about the situation. They both had their own gear - one was a friend of the prospective buyer who showed up on his own bike, and another only had to pass a sanity check (plus I was able to accompany him on another bike). When I sell the GS500, I won't be too picky - if somebody manages to seriously damage it on a test ride, they're gonna be bent up themselves. Otherwise there isn't too much on it to break

Bought my FZ1 in January a few years back without a test ride. Other bikes were bought with a ride, only because one was offered. Don't think, it would have changed my mind otherwise.

Saying that, I'm a big Yamaha fan, but didn't like the FJ-09 when I rode it at a demo day. Didn't like the power response, and kept kicking the clutch cover when going for the rear brake.

Back
Top Bottom