New Bike Without Test Ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Bike Without Test Ride

esphoto

Has anyone here picked up a bike without test riding first? If so, did you have any regrets?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an FJ-09 and putting the Katana to rest. Obviously this time of year is pretty much impossible to do any test rides so aside from sitting and getting a feel for overall ergos, I'd be going in blind. I would and could wait until the spring/early summer, however the Katana is in need of new tires, chain, etc. so if I can save the hassle of those items then all the better. I know those items will help when selling the Katana later, but I'm honestly not going to be getting much for the old girl either way.

Interested in your thoughts and opinions.

PS. Anyone have an FJ-09, access to a big empty industrial building and willing to lend a test ride? :D

I have bought my last 7 bikes without hopping on for a test ride. No problems yet!
Don't forget that the next two bike shows should be pretty good for sitting on bikes.
The new FJ-09 are supposed to be pretty sweet bikes - I want one.

Last 4 bikes I have bought have been without a test ride, those were all from dealerships. Never test rode before that either. I did sit on the bikes though and ready a lot of reviews so new about common problems and things before laying down the cash. Have not had a problem yet and each bike gets better and better. Now if I could test ride, sure would love it. Never really worked out for me though.

Never bought a used bike without a test ride. Good thing too, cause some of the ones looked good but were unridable.

I bought my DRZ without test riding it. I knew the DRZ was the bike I wanted to get no matter what. Dealer had it in a crate when I bought it, so I didn't even sit on it till after money had traded hands. Granted the DRZ is the only bike I've really rode for more than a couple miles, so it could be complete sh*t and I wouldn't even know. :lmao:

On a semi related note, I bought my truck without test driving it. Didn't even have the key to look inside. Just walked the line of new trucks, guy at the dealer asked what one I wanted, and I pointed one out.

apart from demo days in the summer, no

Most previous owners dont like test rides(unless you bring cash) even then, as you mentioned OP this time of year its hard

I didnt know so many here bought from dealers(they say 70% are financed?)

In any event, this time of the year you can do the cold start(check the temperature to be sure by touching engine), and look for tell tale signs for maintainence(or lack thereof)
and signs that its been abused etc

Or just bring along someone with more expertise along to inspect with you.

If things pan out I might be buying a Tuono this spring sans test ride. I've test-ridden the bike vicariously over YouTube so it's all good. :)

Can't really blame bike dealers and manufacturers for not giving rides on any bike, let alone supersports and supernakeds. Having said that, KW Honda in Waterloo has thrown the keys for several bikes my way in the past (including my current Fazer which I bought from them in 2014.)

Call around...some dealers have demo bikes but not all...obviously at this time no-one will allow a test ride even if they do have a demo because of weather...but in the spring if they have one it shouldn't be a problem...Kelly's Cycle in Hamilton has demo bikes...I test rode and bought my FZ07 from them in September...give Larry a call and tell him Ivana sent you...

I test ride any used bike, I even go with people to test ride a bike they want to buy. They trust me.
I think it is ridiculous to buy a used bike without a test ride. SOOOOOO much could be wrong with the thing.

Every new bike I have bought, I have ridden a friends bike before I plunked my money down.

Thanks for all the feedback! This will be my second bike and just a bit worried that I might regret now that I have something to compare against.

I'd be buying from the dealer since its still a fairly new bike.
Planning on heading to the show this weekend so hopefully there is one I can refresh and sit on

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Kid bought his 2013 FZ8 without a test ride but he did sit on it and compare it to the then just released FZ9.
He did not like the ergos on the 9 ...proof that he was correct ...with a few tweaks he has toured the Fz8 to both coasts.

I DID test ride my used 2010 Vstrom 650 from Two Wheel in Guelph ...shortest test ride ever ....
The machine was perfectly set up from the previous owner - did not even need to adjust the mirrors and had the exact farkles I wanted right down to the brand of throttle lock.

Didn't need to test drive the next Vstrom of the same year ( flipped the first one then missed it so bought another )
Did not test drive the CBF1000 as was committed to it and was a complicated long distance purchase......I tend to go by reviews ...especially long term ones and also reviews in the owner forums where I can ask questions of people my own size and riding style etc.

Comfort generally I expect to need a seat for touring and risers and windscreen. First vstrom was a treat as was so perfectly set up for someone my size.

Could not figure out why my back hurt a bit on the second one...then realized it had no risers.

You should be very pleased with an FJ09 - good reports all around and some fixes on the drive by wire system....not as twitchy as the FZ9

That's the thing, I have heard nothing but great things about the bike and seems to fit my needs for a sporty commuter that can also haul some camping or photo gear.

The Hyperstrada is a close runner up but the maintenance requirments (belts along with valves) and the lack of luggage options turn me off. But after 40k km on the Katana I know there are many details you don't discover until your rolling.

I've owned 4 bikes so far. All bought with no test ride. The same way I but my cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the thing, I have heard nothing but great things about the bike and seems to fit my needs for a sporty commuter that can also haul some camping or photo gear.

The Hyperstrada is a close runner up but the maintenance requirments (belts along with valves) and the lack of luggage options turn me off. But after 40k km on the Katana I know there are many details you don't discover until your rolling.

I dunno... Bikes are more than just transportation. I think most people who ride are more deeply into the machines than they would be a car.
There's so much info available on all the bikes available that you can probably make a pretty good choice just by reading up on 'em.
That said... I drove 3 hours to do a Yamaha test ride day last year before deciding to get a FJR.
I had read up a lot on the bike, but I figured I'd better be sure before dropping north of $21k on a "toy".
The bike I bought before that(1250 Bandit)... No test ride. Just sat on it in the showroom...

If I test rode my vfr I'd probably passed on it. Once it got up to operational temperature it had a serious knock, but it went away when I pulled in the clutch. Ended up being the bearing for the clutch pack.

The seller hid a few things.

Last edited:
If things pan out I might be buying a Tuono this spring sans test ride. I've test-ridden the bike vicariously over YouTube so it's all good. :)

Can't really blame bike dealers and manufacturers for not giving rides on any bike, let alone supersports and supernakeds. Having said that, KW Honda in Waterloo has thrown the keys for several bikes my way in the past (including my current Fazer which I bought from them in 2014.)

When I bought my Ape from Two Wheel in 2013 they had a demo available, worth the ask.

starboy869 said:
If I test rode my vfr I'd probably passed on it. Once it got up to operational temperature it had a serious knock, but it went away when I pulled in the clutch. Ended up being the bearing for the clutch pack.

The seller hid a few things.

Used, if I can't ride it I won't buy it. Too many variables and no buyer protection.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom