2017 moto touring plans | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 moto touring plans

Re: 2017 moto touring plans - The Florida Keys

Seriously thinking of putting a small RV trailer into a seasonal park, Lake Huron, Bruce Peninsula etc. That offers dozens of routes c/w comfy overnight stay. Keep a bicycle and kayak for bonus points. To quote MotorcycleMike "You can only ride to Creemore so many times"

There are some nice areas along the shores of Lake Huron to be sure. Plenty of trails to cycle too. The community around the Ipperwash/Lambton Shores is nice. The water /beach front is very nice. Lots of smaller parks that would fit the bill. Check out Birch Pine Park. They have various lot sizes and very reasonable fees. They are a little relaxed with how they run the place. Others can be a little much with rules and regs etc.

Since I've relocated to the Niagara area, I don't go up that way as often. Been checking out Lake Ontario and Lake Erie and the river etc. Lake Erie is my least favorite so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing definitely on my dance card for this year is back to Sturgis to hook up with some friends I made there a couple of years ago - if I can book enough time off for that trip I will come back again through Wyoming and Colorado - maybe make it all the way to the top of Pikes Peak this time.
Probably a camping trip to Ohio/West Virginia - maybe another jaunt to Deals Gap, although its been 3 years in a row now I've done that trip and I'd like to make at least one trip to someplace new - maybe the Ozarks? I haven't done the Cabot Trail but time and money might be a factor. I have to put some money into the bike this year so that will impact on my travel plans. But I love my new tent and camping really helps with the cost factor.

Last edited:

I've booked off time to go to Americade. I've been a couple times and it's a fun event. A little more subdued than Laconia.
I also booked off 2 weeks at the end of August, I'll plan something later for that time.

Zero plans for this year...first year since I started riding.

However I look forward to living vicariously through all of your ride reports and updates!

The keys is not a nice place to be in summer. Also, the only nice route through Florida is in a truck pulling a trailer.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

whatever

I will come back again through Wyoming and Colorado - maybe make it all the way to the top of Pikes Peak this time.
I am planning on heading out that way this summer and doing Pikes Peak on the way back. What stopped you from going all the way to the top?

I hadn't considered that possibility, but you may be on to something. Or just on something.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

My goals are not that big this year but it either going to be a 3 day to Lake George through Lake placid and White Mountain or a 3 day to PA to State College and Surrounding areas or a run at the Dragon.

Booked a tour around Ireland. However, it's not finalized just yet.
Otherwise maybe a couple of long weekends down to Ohio, WV.

Booked a tour around Ireland. However, it's not finalized just yet.
Otherwise maybe a couple of long weekends down to Ohio, WV.

Riding in Ireland? Ireland has been on my list for a while. I spent a weekend there when backpacking Europe for 4 months and that short time was one of the highlights. Love the beautiful country with really friendly people. Itching to go back.

I am planning on heading out that way this summer and doing Pikes Peak on the way back. What stopped you from going all the way to the top?

The highway was closed part way up due to high winds.

My gf's family is in Ireland so we're headed there in September. I have a bike waiting for me there.

I've never explored the northern US states so I'm planning to do that as well as Manitoulin Island area.

I'll be in Cape Breton for a week in July as well.

Planning to ride to Philadelphia in April/May over a long weekend (depending on the road conditions). Any suggestions on which roads would be nicer/scenic?

The highway was closed part way up due to high winds.

I recommend a stop at Smokey D's in Des Moines Iowa.
'Great BBQ....

'Been there a couple of times... Awsome

2017 BMW MOA rally in Salt lake city in July 2017....

BB

My gf's family is in Ireland so we're headed there in September. I have a bike waiting for me there.

Remember to stay on the left!! :) The only time I've had trouble is on a single track road coming up to another vehicle, and every instinct I have says go right. That didn't work out so well.

Back
Top Bottom