Motorcycle lift / hoist recommendation | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle lift / hoist recommendation

Picked up the Princess Auto lift used from a guy who was terrified to use it.
This one has just the foot pump and works fine for me.
I added a front wheel chock from an old motorcycle trailer and added extra tie down rings at the front.
Not sure if I like the chock though.

Bike-stand.jpg

Last edited:
^^^I don't know if I'd use the word terrified but the closer to the ground the bike is the more comfortable I feel working on it so I understand where the guy was coming from.

Last edited:
I realize this convo is about motorcycle lifts but imho the average backyard mechanic's money is better spent on an engine hoist,pulling motors,swingarms,lower triples (tearing a bike down)etc Is much easier with an engine hoist.Sure you can do this stuff other ways but if you don't have overhead beams in your garage that you trust to hold the weight of the bike or you don't want to cut holes in the garage ceiling like me it's the way to go imho,plus I can be a bit of a loafter at times ;) and prefer to sit (my back isn't stellar at times either),especially if a particular project takes longer than expected, just some thoughts

Pincess auto has their scissor-style lift on for $69 (or something in that range) as well, I'm going to grab one. I borrowed one exactly the same from a friend last summer when I needed a new front tire and it lifted my ~800# VTX with no issues, and it was stable as well. Might not work for all bikes as it does require a flat spot on the frame to jack on, but worked well for our bikes. Small footprint as welll, when not needed it tucks away and takes little to no space, unlike the big drive on hoists.

Pincess auto has their scissor-style lift on for $69 (or something in that range) as well, I'm going to grab one. I borrowed one exactly the same from a friend last summer when I needed a new front tire and it lifted my ~800# VTX with no issues, and it was stable as well. Might not work for all bikes as it does require a flat spot on the frame to jack on, but worked well for our bikes. Small footprint as welll, when not needed it tucks away and takes little to no space, unlike the big drive on hoists.
51d5ea9d7aa64920f3140f260be263f1.jpg

Got this one for my dirt bike, recommend it.

I bought the princess auto one that is air powered but also has the foot pump. I haven't used the wheel chock, I just use tie downs and I added a couple more tied own rings for different sized stuff. It works very well and was a bargain at $444.

With tie downs it easily and securely lifts my KTM 990 or dirt bike. It makes oil changes, chain adjustments and other work a pleasure.

I've even used it to work on (by adding a wood platform) an ATV and my riding mower. I've restored a rototiller on it and used it as a table to construct wood projects. It has been a great purchase.

^ holy ****. Who the hell invited my husband to this convo? Hehe

I have the PA one too, and we use it for pretty much the exact same stuff. Only downside is its not portable like some of the scissor lifts above.

My thoughts are stay within your budget. The PA one sometimes goes on sale, mine was 599 down to 399. Few years back tho

This is the scissor lift one that PA has right now and that I used.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...sionid=B9cQ8fNzYe6QHTaDgky7OTT-.pal-prod-com3

8133910.jpg

I used it without the "peg leg" attachments on the top, the flat surface meshed up nicely with both our bikes frames under the engine. I did use an air tool to crank vs doing it by hand though. ;)

The nice thing about having the full lift is that you don't have to bend over to accomplish any task. Use the lift you've posted with a full table lift and you're working like a civilized human being.

The nice thing about having the full lift is that you don't have to bend over to accomplish any task. Use the lift you've posted with a full table lift and you're working like a civilized human being.

I just don't have the room in my garage for a full lift, and honestly...I can't see myself using it a whole lot anyways. I have my bikes parked on an old carpet in the garage so getting down on my knees/side for oil changes and regular maintenance is tolerable. The only time I actually needed to jack both our bikes off the ground was for new tires. My VTX is due for rear rubber now (I did the front myself), but I'm just going to take it to a shop for that since I don't really feel like doing the labor, honestly - shaft drive, et all...

For the occasional lift I like the scissor deal simply because it's small....only about the size of a 12 pack of pop when it was folded down.

If I was doing more intensive work or had a track bike that I was always tweaking I could certainly see the benefit of a full lift however.

I just don't have the room in my garage for a full lift, and honestly...I can't see myself using it a whole lot anyways. I have my bikes parked on an old carpet in the garage so getting down on my knees/side for oil changes and regular maintenance is tolerable. The only time I actually needed to jack both our bikes off the ground was for new tires. My VTX is due for rear rubber now (I did the front myself), but I'm just going to take it to a shop for that since I don't really feel like doing the labor, honestly - shaft drive, et all...

For the occasional lift I like the scissor deal simply because it's small....only about the size of a 12 pack of pop when it was folded down.

If I was doing more intensive work or had a track bike that I was always tweaking I could certainly see the benefit of a full lift however.

If you don't do a whole lot then yes it's a bit big and unnecessary but to do a spring cleaning and brake service it really is nice to sit on a stool and work at chest level. My bike is parked on it so it really doesn't take up any extra space. The bike is in the trailer, at the track, or on the lift.

I wonder if I could lift my bike with that thing...don't see where I could lift it from.

it will depend on your bike, and if it has a flat area, not obstructed by the exhaust, if it can rest on the oil pan, or the frame rails, well your good to go...otherwise,,,,nope....

i have one similar to this, only from Canadian Tire, and it works the same, but you still need a flat area and or frame rails

8319956.jpg

something like this

P1120729.jpg

good for rolling engines around as well

P1120571.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/800-lb-motorcycle-lift-table/A-p8668071e

I dont see how a scissor lift wouod work with a sport bike with fairings everywhere....unless someone can help with expalin that.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/800-lb-motorcycle-lift-table/A-p8668071e

I was looking at something like this ...any good?

Sent from phone, excuse typos.

It won't and neither will the one you posted a link to. Better off getting a set of front/rear stands.

Back
Top Bottom