Motorcycle lift / hoist recommendation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle lift / hoist recommendation

JTRUDEL90

I thought that this had been covered before and I just did a quick search .. I'm looking for some advise as to what motorcycle lift to purchase ( why you choose to be one you have and would you do it different) and where you guys have purchased yours .... I really like the titan/ranger 1500xlt lift based on the overall lift height it seems to be a solid unit with the bottom frame but I think that the frame could get in the way with working around the bikes, I also like the fact that it has the rear support poles for sport bikes (not sure if necessary?) with the air over hydraulic the operation is slower and louder

The pro cycle lift from direct lift appears to be readily available but is just like all the other lifts out there and even with the US exchange rate it's still cheaper to buy it from the states, you have to pay the tax either way

What's everyone's thoughts

Princess Auto has sold a lot of their lifts.Most people find the quality of the wheel chock poor tho.It mostly depends on your needs.How heavy is your bike and what will you be doing with it.If it's 900lbs,then the choice is obvious.If it's like my Ossa,a hydraulic lift is way overkill.I can put it on my B&D Workmate with no strain at all.
Have you thought abut DIY? Look here.http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/diy-motorcycle-lift.701077/

I make no claims on this, but it was told to me by a professional motorcycle mechanic.
Buy a lift that raises via a foot pedal.
The ones that use compressed air break down more often.
And you have to buy a compressor.

I have a Direct Lift Pro Cycle DT. Much more solid than the PA tables. Expandable with add on sides if I want. 1000 lbs max weight. $1000 CDN. Relatively local pick up.

My cousin bought this heavy duty motorcycle lift and paid huge $$$ for it. I'm sure it would lift a house but unless you're using it to make a living/business... well I elected to go with the one from Princess Auto. PA unit goes on sale regularly (I got mine for $333) and lifts my 400lb ss bike no problem. I have a large air compressor but I got the foot pump model as I foresee future issues with pneumatics and possible rough operation etc. I replaced the supplied wheel chock with an articulating wheel chock from Royal Dist. My rear wheel lift is also utilized, the whole set-up is so much better than working from the knees or crawling around under the bike for maintenance. I repurposed the supplied wheel chock by mounting it on plywood for outdoor bike washing (short term use)etc.
Happy Apexes.

I repurposed the supplied wheel chock by mounting it on plywood for outdoor bike washing (short term use)etc.
Happy Apexes.

Good idea! Does anyone want my new and never used wheel chock for free? I won't ever need it and it's just taking up space. Send a PM if you want it.

As for moto lifts, my bike is about 600lbs and I just got the Princes Auto lift on sale.The lady at the counter said they were discontinuing the item there, so I'm not sure if they will be carrying them in the future, but it seems Harbour Freight sells the same model in the US. I bought it because it can be lifted by either the foot pump or air compressor and I did not have an air compressor. It lifts it up really nice and easy with the bike very stable. It also has a wheels on the bottom so it can be easily moved around my small garage when not in use.

Here's some older threads:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?194244-Motorcycle-Lift-from-Princess-Auto
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...4-Thinking-of-a-buying-a-lift-opinions-wanted

Princess Auto has sold a lot of their lifts.Most people find the quality of the wheel chock poor tho.It mostly depends on your needs.How heavy is your bike and what will you be doing with it.If it's 900lbs,then the choice is obvious.If it's like my Ossa,a hydraulic lift is way overkill.I can put it on my B&D Workmate with no strain at all.
Have you thought abut DIY? Look here.http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/diy-motorcycle-lift.701077/

I've always had sport bikes and just worked off the ground with your typical triple tree and swing arm stands, I've spent a ton of time trying to research the right lift for me and i'm finding it difficult as its not something that can be purchased at any store.

I have a Direct Lift Pro Cycle DT. Much more solid than the PA tables. Expandable with add on sides if I want. 1000 lbs max weight. $1000 CDN. Relatively local pick up.

have you used swingarm/ head lift stands on the lift and how do they roll with the checker plate top, how do you find the front wheel vise ?

I've been using my princess auto lift for several years and while it may not get used as much as one in a shop it sure sees it's fair share of work. I use a front/rear stand on it as my bikes don't have a kickstand. The stands roll well enough on the checker plate. I've never used the wheel chock/clamp because it prevents me from doing any front end work so it got scrapped on day 1. It's stable enough that my bike right now is sitting at the tables full height, no wheels, and I'm not worried. You can't climb up on the bike with the table up at all but when it's bottomed out I climb on and off with ease (setting up controls). My bike lives on the table and everything except pulling the motor gets done on it at various heights.

have you used swingarm/ head lift stands on the lift and how do they roll with the checker plate top, how do you find the front wheel vise ?

I use head lift, fork, and 2 types of swingarm stands on it with no issue. I've used a floor jack under the frame of a cruiser to lift the rear as well. I haven't ever used the wheel vice that came with it. It's a very solid vice (especially when compared to the PA versions) however I have a Baxley LA Trailer Chock in its place that I just roll the bike onto for parking. The chock comes off for front end work (2 bolts) and the appropriate stand goes on.

Here's a link to a thread I started on the same subject 4 years ago;

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?167522-Thinking-about-a-motorcycle-lift

Fork stand;
IMG_1289_zpsb59b6f39.jpg

Head lift;
bd2e9a0a-49f0-434d-aca8-591ceabdf2ea_zpsuck2oaem.jpg

Last edited:
I use head lift, fork, and 2 types of swingarm stands on it with no issue. I've used a floor jack under the frame of a cruiser to lift the rear as well. I haven't ever used the wheel vice that came with it. It's a very solid vice (especially when compared to the PA versions) however I have a Baxley LA Trailer Chock in its place that I just roll the bike onto for parking. The chock comes off for front end work (2 bolts) and the appropriate stand goes on.

Here's a link to a thread I started on the same subject 4 years ago;

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?167522-Thinking-about-a-motorcycle-lift

Fork stand;
IMG_1289_zpsb59b6f39.jpg

Head lift;
bd2e9a0a-49f0-434d-aca8-591ceabdf2ea_zpsuck2oaem.jpg

thanks for clearing that up. so did you buy the side extension kit when you bought the lift..? i know its only a few dollars more for the rear drop out but i know that it would be impossible to use to rear stand then remove the drop out, do you feel that the removable panel changes the integrity of the lift at all ?

on another note it really puts things into perspective that the lift is not much larger then a bike sitting on a set of stands. That is one thing i was scared about buying the titan is i knew that the lift was huge and potentially hard to work around

Last edited:
I haven't bought the side extensions yet (but have thought about many times)

The Direct Lift appears to only be available with the drop panel now so there's no decision to be made on that.

You're right; you can't use a rear stand with the drop out removed... but then why would you want to? The drop out is there to allow you to drop a cruiser-type tire out of the fender and that's done by lifting the rear with a jack under the frame (of a cruiser).

I wondered about the integrity of the drop out, but there's no issue at all; SOLID (see pic).

As for the lift being the same size as the bike; yes it's the same as the length of the bike (with stands) when the ramp is removed. Here's a pic of the drop removed (and obviously the ramp is off; bottom right corner of pic);

33382D30-1AFD-4CBD-AB49-0DDF2855CFE3_zpshclfvd2v.jpg

thanks for clearing that up. so did you buy the side extension kit when you bought the lift..? i know its only a few dollars more for the rear drop out but i know that it would be impossible to use to rear stand then remove the drop out, do you feel that the removable panel changes the integrity of the lift at all ?

on another note it really puts things into perspective that the lift is not much larger then a bike sitting on a set of stands. That is one thing i was scared about buying the titan is i knew that the lift was huge and potentially hard to work around

Last edited:
I haven't bought the side extensions yet (but have thought about many times)

The Direct Lift appears to only be available with the drop panel now so there's no decision to be made on that.

You're right; you can't use a rear stand with the drop out removed... but then why would you want to? The drop out is there to allow you to drop a cruiser-type tire out of the fender and that's done by lifting the rear with a jack under the frame (of a cruiser).

I wondered about the integrity of the drop out, but there's no issue at all; SOLID (see pic).

As for the lift being the same size as the bike; yes it's the same as the length of the bike (with stands) when the ramp is removed. Here's a pic of the drop removed (and obviously the ramp is off; bottom right corner of pic);

33382D30-1AFD-4CBD-AB49-0DDF2855CFE3_zpshclfvd2v.jpg

i'm really leaning towards purchasing the lift out of the states ( http://www.loomisrootdirect.com/ ) even with the exchange rate its still cheaper to purchase,and for what my time its worth it may very well be quicker to get then having to go all the way to Vaughan the way traffic can be. i will be sure to keep my eye out at the motorcycle show for any show deals on lifts. i will be making a purchase in the next few weeks and be sure to update everyone

thanks so much for all the info

I just ran the conversion; $90 is $90 (comparing the DT so it's apples to apples). So long as it's close enough for you. Although a call to them in Vaughan with the comparison may be worth your while...

i'm really leaning towards purchasing the lift out of the states ( http://www.loomisrootdirect.com/ ) even with the exchange rate its still cheaper to purchase,and for what my time its worth it may very well be quicker to get then having to go all the way to Vaughan the way traffic can be. i will be sure to keep my eye out at the motorcycle show for any show deals on lifts. i will be making a purchase in the next few weeks and be sure to update everyone

thanks so much for all the info

Same exact thing here, I use the pedal foot operated one.

I've been using my princess auto lift for several years and while it may not get used as much as one in a shop it sure sees it's fair share of work. I use a front/rear stand on it as my bikes don't have a kickstand. The stands roll well enough on the checker plate. I've never used the wheel chock/clamp because it prevents me from doing any front end work so it got scrapped on day 1. It's stable enough that my bike right now is sitting at the tables full height, no wheels, and I'm not worried. You can't climb up on the bike with the table up at all but when it's bottomed out I climb on and off with ease (setting up controls). My bike lives on the table and everything except pulling the motor gets done on it at various heights.

When you guys use stands on these lifts, do you have to worry about them skating around?

When you guys use stands on these lifts, do you have to worry about them skating around?

I just bolted the front one down by drilling a few holes in the deck and using U-bolts (15 min. job). The rear jack is ok with "skating around"

The Direct Lift has diamond plate (I can't remember if the PA does). I have never done anything to secure them onto the deck and never have any worry about it.

I thought that this had been covered before and I just did a quick search .. I'm looking for some advise as to what motorcycle lift to purchase ( why you choose to be one you have and would you do it different) and where you guys have purchased yours .... I really like the titan/ranger 1500xlt lift based on the overall lift height it seems to be a solid unit with the bottom frame but I think that the frame could get in the way with working around the bikes, I also like the fact that it has the rear support poles for sport bikes (not sure if necessary?) with the air over hydraulic the operation is slower and louder

The pro cycle lift from direct lift appears to be readily available but is just like all the other lifts out there and even with the US exchange rate it's still cheaper to buy it from the states, you have to pay the tax either way

What's everyone's thoughts

http://www.directlift.ca/ Available in Canada in $CDN

Back
Top Bottom