Smart Phone Wallet | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smart Phone Wallet

Not to hijack this thread, but don't you find that since Canada uses so much coin currency, that wallet buying is frustrating as most contain a tiny little coin pouch? What do you all do with your change?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I leave it in a jar at home. I only use change for TTC and only use any cash at all at the work cafeteria as there is an extra charge to use credit or debit. I love my credit cards since they pay me to use them.

I leave it in a jar at home. I only use change for TTC and only use any cash at all at the work cafeteria as there is an extra charge to use credit or debit. I love my credit cards since they pay me to use them.

My employer thanks you. And me too. More folks are learning the use cc to their advantage and not pay interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm counting the days until I don't have to carry my wallet anymore whatsoever. Almost everything is on my phone now except my drivers licence and health card. I do do almost all my payments via ApplePay (simply authenticate with my finger print and then tap the payment terminal) except for 2 holdouts that still don't accept tap - Walmart and Home Depot.

I have one of these on pre-order: https://plastc.com/

Hoping the actual product will deliver on it's promises. If it does it'll seriously reduce the size of my wallet.

Hoping the actual product will deliver on it's promises. If it does it'll seriously reduce the size of my wallet.
Briefly looked at the link. I think it's a great idea, but wondering about liability. Iirc there were some issues with apps that tracked spending (like Mint), where if a bank or cc company found out you were using them, and there was fraud on your card, that you were liable because you technically shared your PIN/ password.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Not to hijack this thread, but don't you find that since Canada uses so much coin currency, that wallet buying is frustrating as most contain a tiny little coin pouch? What do you all do with your change?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
I take the loonies and toonies and put them in my car's coin tray for coin-op car washes. The smaller change I put in a pouch at work for the vending machine. Never carry around any change.

At the rate that I use cash for anything (very little), it seems to work out well for car wash and snack frequency.

Check with your financial institution. Seems this is more geared towards the American Market. Canada is pretty much all EMV/Chip and PIN enabled.

The phone companies have worked with the banks to standardize biometric standards to substitute for Chip/PIN card present transactions for transactions made with their devices/wallet.

This device might serve well in the Starbucks/Timmies but, might not work at Walmart/GP Bikes etc. Small ticket, transaction heavy places might be OK? But it will work inconsistently and likely find it frustrating until they get everyone on board. Ask Samsung & Apple how easy it was to work with the payment industry and banks.

You know this won't work at all for any chip cards, right? Which is almost all of our financial institution/credit cards up here now?

Nakkers is right - here in Canada, this will work for your gift and loyalty cards that still use a magstripe, and that's it.

We just got back from some time in the USA and it's still laughable how far behind they are in payment technology - magstripe is still the standard and although chip is slowly being introduced the pushback is massive - every single establishment we went to where they had a chip reader we were regaled about how much it sucked...and down there, it kinda does - it only works 50% of the time and it's slow, sometimes still requiring a swipe of the magstripe after the fact anyways which completely negates the chip security.

Our rollout here in Canada was smooth and we migrated 100% from magstripe to chip without any drama - it just worked. Down there, the migration is a mess.

So, since magstripe still rules in the USA, things like the plastc card are still viable options, but when was the last time you swiped a magstripe card in Canada outside a donut shop or a gift card?

You know this won't work at all for any chip cards, right? Which is almost all of our financial institution/credit cards up here now?

Nakkers is right - here in Canada, this will work for your gift and loyalty cards that still use a magstripe, and that's it.

We just got back from some time in the USA and it's still laughable how far behind they are in payment technology - magstripe is still the standard and although chip is slowly being introduced the pushback is massive - every single establishment we went to where they had a chip reader we were regaled about how much it sucked...and down there, it kinda does - it only works 50% of the time and it's slow, sometimes still requiring a swipe of the magstripe after the fact anyways which completely negates the chip security.

Our rollout here in Canada was smooth and we migrated 100% from magstripe to chip without any drama - it just worked. Down there, the migration is a mess.

So, since magstripe still rules in the USA, things like the plastc card are still viable options, but when was the last time you swiped a magstripe card in Canada outside a donut shop or a gift card?

I'm aware EMV will not work at launch. Magstripe, NFC, barcode/QR will still be available and that covers the majority of cards taking up space in my wallet. If they can get EMV ironed out that would be fantastic. If not, no big deal. I still plan to carry a wallet so having, say, 2 or 3 cards instead of 10 would be awesome.

Briefly looked at the link. I think it's a great idea, but wondering about liability. Iirc there were some issues with apps that tracked spending (like Mint), where if a bank or cc company found out you were using them, and there was fraud on your card, that you were liable because you technically shared your PIN/ password.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Interesting, that never occurred to me. It doesn't really concern me but I will look into that, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom