Smart Phone Wallet | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smart Phone Wallet

nakkers

Site Supporter
So my hardcase wallet gave up working over the holidays and got the iPhone 7. Naturally I thought about combining the two.

Cheapie amazon/eBay or look for something decent. What are my fellow gtam members doing?

Not spending the $20/$30 at the booth in the mall. Trust some valuable input here will steer me in the right direction.

Or just keep them separate. Wallet with cards and ID and phone with protective case.

Thoughts?

You probably look at your phone 100 times a day. You probably reach for your wallet 3 times.

Sounds like a neat idea but its not practical at all.

@nakkers I never could see the need for the wallet cases that everyone was using...and then I tried one. I always have my phone with me. My wallet, not so much. I keep a cc, my id and cash with my phone. All my loyalty cards in an app and I'm good to go.
As far as the $20-$30 for a case goes, I always buy mine (and friends') from Amazon. Never paid more than $5 delivered. Same exact cases as coworkers that paid $25. That being said, looking for a decent case for a buddy for his iPhone 6s, and the cheapest I found was ~$18, so they may try to gouge you. Some cases advertised as leather are obviously not, so be careful. And the only con I have is when taking pictures, the flap takes some getting used to, to keep it out of the way. If you Amazon, I've had great success with YoungFly. One time a case was about a week past eta and they immediately offered a refund or send out another. I opted to wait 1 more week first and the case arrived. But great customer service imo.
And while you're at it, get the glass screen protector. I will never waste time or money with the plasic again.

Sent from the Purple Zone

@ Joe Bass

Thanks man.

I've been totting around phone and wallet. And regularly forget one or the other. I kinda pad my coat and feel something there and leave without the right one.

Loading up my loyalty cards is helpful. Thanks again.

Off to amazon.

Cheers and happy New Year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the opposite thinking. Losing a combined phone/wallet will be far more devastating then one or the other, especially with a premium phone. I keep my phone in a holster on my hip and my wallet in my inside jacket pocket. It's second nature now to do a quick pat check in both areas without blinking an eye.

@DJM true, but for me, I've misplaced my wallet at least a half dozen times. Twice that involved cancelling credit cards. I have never lost my phone. I keep that in my pants pocket. On vibrate. Call me. ?

Not to hijack this thread, but don't you find that since Canada uses so much coin currency, that wallet buying is frustrating as most contain a tiny little coin pouch? What do you all do with your change?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Not to hijack this thread, but don't you find that since Canada uses so much coin currency, that wallet buying is frustrating as most contain a tiny little coin pouch? What do you all do with your change?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Tim Hortons ☺
For me, I am 90% plastic. Allows me to keep track of all purchases, and maximize loyalty points. When I do get change, it goes in the pocket then divided between my piggy bank (loonies and toonies), and my kids (the rest).

+1 on feeding change to the coffee counter

My woman collects the coin when she does the laundry. Same days she is happy. Other days, not so much.

Also, leave coins in the vehicle for Timmie's. The wife appreciates that.

I had coin and avoid it at all cost.

It's tap and go for most transactions now.

I just have ID, loyalty cards and pay cards.

Not sure if I want to combine phone with wallet yet.

Might just pull the trigger and see how it goes. Can always revert back. Cheap experiment.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

My woman collects the coin when she does the laundry. Same days she is happy. Other days, not so much.

Also, leave coins in the vehicle for Timmie's. The wife appreciates that.

I had coin and avoid it at all cost.

It's tap and go for most transactions now.

I just have ID, loyalty cards and pay cards.

Not sure if I want to combine phone with wallet yet.

Might just pull the trigger and see how it goes. Can always revert back. Cheap experiment.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

I use to have this a few years ago. Never did like this idea. If I lost my phone or wanted to charge my phone while I was out. It would constantly stress me out as to what's going on with my phone. That's my ID, CC's, etc. If that gets lost it would be a nightmare to deal with.

Now, everything is mostly cards for payment. I bought a money clip and put my cards in that. Then carry a few bucks in my pocket if I want cash or in the large truck of the bike. Cause you never know if their card machine is down when you need gas. That extra $20 might just get you home on a cold night.

Always have spare cash for fuel or whatever.

For work, I have expenses and need to keep receipts. For gas and meals. Hotels and airfare I've get email.

The hard case wallet had limited space but, I like it being compact size so, I manage.

The thought of losing everything is a concern if it's all together. But, I never misplace my phone. The wallet can be left places and I can't call it or track it with an app.

Battery life is a concern but, at least when it's new, the battery lady fairly well. And I keep a charge cord handy just out of habit.

I ordered one and will give it a try.

One thing that may not be user friendly is when talking on the phone. Do you leave it open? Do you hang up by mistake by closing it to hold it as a phone?

@nakkers every one that I've had has a magnetic flap. So when you open to talk, you flip it around and it stays folded.

Got my eBay cell phone wallet and it's not bad.

Like most things, it can't possibly do everything well.

It's nice to have ID, pay cards together with phone.

Getting used to using the phone with the case is a bit of a challenge.

The materials and craftsmanship appears decent for any Chinese import.

So far, I'm liking it. Thanks for the input folks.

I have a TUCCH wallet case from Amazon for my S7 Edge. It's nice but I stopped using it because I found it cumbersome. I might still use it on occasion but for every day it's kind of a pain. Also the cash pocket sucks because you have to fold your bills to get them in there. It offers really good protection though.

Yes, I eventually went with eBay. Checked out amazon and also a few flea markets. Just to see the differences in quality and options.

I got one that is leather. Has 3 slots for cards. With the clear window to show picture ID.

I've been loading up my loyalty cards in my phone but a lot of places need you to swipe. Namely fuel purchases.

I can tap my cc at some pumps like Petro Canada.

So, still need plastics, still need phone and prefer to keep everything together.

My wife was surprised when I closed the phone to speak on the phone. It's essentially the same.

The issue I have is with email and txt. Prefer just having a phone in a case to txt or email with one hand or hold while thumbing away. The case, you have to fold it and it makes it uncomfortable.

As for cash, there is a spot to fold up and slide in but, its small and can't see it being used. It's the same issue I had with the hard case wallet I had anyways. I just use a money clip. Or my pocket. Don't see using it for cash.

We shall see how it goes when it comes time for riding.

Yes, I eventually went with eBay. Checked out amazon and also a few flea markets. Just to see the differences in quality and options.

I got one that is leather. Has 3 slots for cards. With the clear window to show picture ID.

I've been loading up my loyalty cards in my phone but a lot of places need you to swipe. Namely fuel purchases.

I can tap my cc at some pumps like Petro Canada.

So, still need plastics, still need phone and prefer to keep everything together.

My wife was surprised when I closed the phone to speak on the phone. It's essentially the same.

The issue I have is with email and txt. Prefer just having a phone in a case to txt or email with one hand or hold while thumbing away. The case, you have to fold it and it makes it uncomfortable.

As for cash, there is a spot to fold up and slide in but, its small and can't see it being used. It's the same issue I had with the hard case wallet I had anyways. I just use a money clip. Or my pocket. Don't see using it for cash.

We shall see how it goes when it comes time for riding.

I have a case I'm not using for my phone that has the folding cover, found it to be a pain to use the phone because if I wanted to take pics it was awkward as the flap folded in front of the camera. Also it didn't necessarily protect the phone if it fell out of the pocket of my favourite hoodie as the flap would open up on it on it's own (if I had gotten one size smaller stuff wouldn't fall out of the pockets). Ended up getting an otter box knock off from pac-mall, cost a couple dollars more but gave better protection to the phone with out waiting on eBay shipping from china. OMVIC was at the bike show giving away card holders to stick to the back of your phone, but they only hold 1 or 2 cards, I'd want my photo id (2 cards), payment card, discount card (swipe only). Most of the gas loyalty cards are usable if you don't pay at the pump which can be an inconvenience to some.

I'm counting the days until I don't have to carry my wallet anymore whatsoever. Almost everything is on my phone now except my drivers licence and health card. I do do almost all my payments via ApplePay (simply authenticate with my finger print and then tap the payment terminal) except for 2 holdouts that still don't accept tap - Walmart and Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom