Honda NC700SA thoughts? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda NC700SA thoughts?

I remember looking into the 700 back before I purchased my 500 and pretty much all the reviews out of Europe were positive about the bike. Good mileage, storage, overall a great 'workhorse' type of bike (which is what I was looking for). However when I read the North American reviews they all stated it was a good bike....BUT...not enough power/oomph for general riding. I personally like it (never ended up riding it) but it seems to have what I was looking for. However my 500 was just a better deal at the time, and with the luggage I have for it there's plenty of space for general duty and some light touring.

Good luck with the decision, always a fun one to have!

Having ridden both the 700 and the 500 - 500 is the better bike and the better deal.
Honda went after fuel mileage when prices were high and sucked the fun right out - yet the 500x is fun AND gets hilariously good mileage.
Yeah you gotta stir it a bit but at least it can be.

There was one at a dealer in Australia and I asked about it - he said a dentist bought it - didn't like it after 2 months. It was priced $1000 below the CB500x but the dealer sold every 500x he could get in ...the 700 had been sitting there for months.

I do think it was smart when they moved towards a cruiser profile with that motor. It is torquey but that hard rev limiter is just awful.

well having owned (own) both the NC750S and now the NC750X, The low red line does get annoying on the standard NC tho it seems similar to a cruiser which also have low redlines.
You can get used to it. For commuting it is great but I find the DCT much better with this engine. You have a choice of 4 auto modes and can go full on push button shifting if you wish.
One thing about this redline issue tho, you can use ALL of it. From idle to redline is all there to use. Compared to the Ninja 650 i had which was usable from around 4k to 9k rpm.

At your height tho OP i would not get the S version. See if you can find an X. You would be too cramped on the S. Was a great bike tho. did a 700km-ish run in summer 2014. Much of it mountain
highway. I was cruising at 150kph on the stretch btwn Merritt and Kamloops. (the hwy there speed limit is 120)

Also for commuting these bikes are great in that they use so little fuel, more like a 250. I went from Squamish to Hope and only used 7L of gas. (a distance of ~200km)

the tank storage or "frunk" is a great feature.
I've always had a soft spot for Honda's 700 line. They're bikes that buck the trends but still pull out wins where they matter. Except... did you ever strap anything to the seat for touring, or want to but decided it would be too much of a nuisance for refuelling? That alone is enough for me to check the bike off my want list. Bit I have no experience with the bike and haven't heard anyone point out that particular flaw. Maybe you can add some first-hand perspective for me?

I followed the various NC700 owner threads when the bike came out, but I can't remember it being mentioned much. More often than not sidecases and top boxes were quickly added, so maybe strapping stuff to the seat wasn't a concern. Honda used an NC to demo their new riding assist tech. Pretty neat stuff and would be awesome for commuting, even if I already do it myself:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH60-R8MOKo

Yeah, it's already being denounced throughout the inter web by angry riders. Sometimes you just don't get a choice as to what your boot lands at a stop. I've managed to catch myself so far, but even a sprain would hamper my business, never mind a proper fracture. Even on a clean road, you can get those sneaky divots that end up being lower than your tires.

Ok
I want that

Sent from the Purple Zone

Yeah, it's already being denounced throughout the inter web by angry riders. Sometimes you just don't get a choice as to what your boot lands at a stop. I've managed to catch myself so far, but even a sprain would hamper my business, never mind a proper fracture. Even on a clean road, you can get those sneaky divots that end up being lower than your tires.

I get all that, but take all the little risks, finesse, and nuance out of piloting a motorbike and you're left with that empty LeBaron convertible feeling

A third generation LeBaron ragtop? Understated American class isn't for everyone: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikEkHa5PL5A
Toronto's addiction to road salt has robbed us of the genuine articles for too long.

Quick shifters and traction control threaten the free wheel...err free will of daredevils hoping out outdo the devil himself. Some swear that ABS causes autism, or that Ducati is Catholic plot to reduce condom use. Most of that could be true, it's just hard to tell while I gag on the slurry of content blended by the Web.

Balancing at a stoplight should have little effect on most of the careening risks, finessed potholes and nuanced urban planning that inspires Drake to represent. I might need to reverse myself if Honda's true goal is automated footwear. Call me irrational, but that's a step to far. Emergency room doctors will back me up on this.

Balancing at a stoplight should have little effect on most of the careening risks, finessed potholes and nuanced urban planning that inspires Drake to represent. I might need to reverse myself if Honda's true goal is automated footwear. Call me irrational, but that's a step to far. Emergency room doctors will back me up on this.

I'm interested to see actual use cases of this "self balancing" architecture. For example, it requires the wheelbase to be extended and the handlebars to be decoupled from the forks (look at the vid; while twiddling the front wheel side to side, the handlebars don't move...)

How does this translate into real-world use?

A third generation LeBaron ragtop? Understated American class isn't for everyone: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikEkHa5PL5A
Toronto's addiction to road salt has robbed us of the genuine articles for too long.

Quick shifters and traction control threaten the free wheel...err free will of daredevils hoping out outdo the devil himself. Some swear that ABS causes autism, or that Ducati is Catholic plot to reduce condom use. Most of that could be true, it's just hard to tell while I gag on the slurry of content blended by the Web.

Surely you meant unadulterated America crass; from personal experience (though coupe via hand-me-down) what a horrible excuse for an automobile lol... and don't blame the road salt. A week in the sun is all an 80's Chrysler needed to look ready for the crusher.

Unlike the innovations you've mentioned above, balance, in all circumstance, represents the absolute fundamental element of motorcycling; maybe Honda hits on something here, but past 'innovations' in this area have proven time and time, the appetite for such is small. Like adding handle bars to a skateboard, doing cool tricks and telling the world it's just as good doesn't guarantee anything more than niche interest and a few hits on YT

Last edited:
If you are considering a V-Strom, you may be on the right track. I have 90,000 miles (yes, miles) on mine, and it has carried me to every province and a few dozen states. It always gets there, generally in style, and always gets me home. I have the little 650 cc engine, and that is plenty of engine for me.

I never like gravel roads, but I rode my V-Strom strenuously on a gravel road in Newfoundland, just to see if I would feel confident on the Trans-Lab. My bike was stable and made me feel more confident and comfortable than any other machine I have ridden on gravel. I haven't actually been to Labrador, and I think they are paving the highway across it, but I could still manage the unpaved parts well enough to go there.

There is a worthwhile bonus to riding a V-Strom. The web site (look for Stromtrooper) helps unite riders of V-Stroms (for instance Macdoc, a contributor to this thread) and help us find one another. We are a cordial bunch, and I like riding with V-Strom riders in Ontario and in Florida and in several other places.

Your money, your ride, your choice. I do not think you can lose.

inreb? What did you do with Flywheel?

I'm interested to see actual use cases of this "self balancing" architecture. For example, it requires the wheelbase to be extended and the handlebars to be decoupled from the forks (look at the vid; while twiddling the front wheel side to side, the handlebars don't move...)

How does this translate into real-world use?
Look up the Lit Motors C1, and the Toyota iRoad, then consider a future where we each call up a self-driving vehicle to take us wherever we want, one person at a time. Do the math, and this tech becomes an inescapable necessity for a large number of future vehicles.

It's only a compliment until Inreb himself is unsure, which would be a feat since his rig is a dual monitor, dual keyboard setup. #1 is a QWERTY, the other a DVORAK and he plays both like Grand Pianos. Don't deny it.

What can I say? The man inspires me to imitate. GTAM has enough interchangeable Socratic fashionalists to last us until the Sun undergoes helium flash. Are a few extra dollops of sincere flattery really going to affect advertising rates? God, let us hope so. #mayorinreb2017

It's only a compliment until Inreb himself is unsure, which would be a feat since his rig is a dual monitor, dual keyboard setup. #1 is a QWERTY, the other a DVORAK and he plays both like Grand Pianos. Don't deny it.

What can I say? The man inspires me to imitate. GTAM has enough interchangeable Socratic fashionalists to last us until the Sun undergoes helium flash. Are a few extra dollops of sincere flattery really going to affect advertising rates? God, let us hope so. #mayorinreb2017

I can assure you, uncle inreb's 12k and counting are more likely punched in one finger at a time. Simply amazing

Back
Top Bottom