Honda NC700SA thoughts? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda NC700SA thoughts?

BradW

Does anyone have any personal experience with the NC700S? I'm starting to look for replacements for my wrecked F800st, and this one seems to check all the boxes. Any thoughts on reliability, and parts availability. It looks like it was only sold here in 2012.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
About as far apart as it can get. Thats the horrid 700 engine with 6200 rpm red line and the A is the DCT version for even more boredom.

If you want an automatic get a Burgman 650 Exec

If you want a 650+ consider a 650 Vstrom, or on the sportier side one of the FZs.
The Honda CB500X is also a very nice machine.

My son's FZ8 is going up for sale with some nice farkles.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2013/06/07/2013-yamaha-fz8-review-unexpected-magic/

2013-yamaha-fz8-review-5.jpg

Lots of hooligan fun but he took it cross country in both directions on 3 week tours - Shad seat and topcase did the trick for distance.

There are many middle weights ....if you give a budget others can jump in.

Not sure if you'll get a decent response from actual owners? One and done model year and not many sold. Of those owners, don't think they would stick around the gtam crowd. Lol.

Standard looks, scooter like motor/trans. Not sure if that is a good combo or not? The masses didn't seem to think so.

If I was daring to be different, plenty others to choose from.

Good luck with research and decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input; I guess I got the model number wrong, I'm not looking for the automatic one.

I'll mostly be using it to commute 15 minutes to work in nice weather. I like the built in storage, enough room for a lunch bag and a notebook. I think it will be a while before I work up to long weekend rides again after my collision.

I'm also fairly tall at 6'3",and not a lightweight either. I've tried the Vstrom, but it just didn't do it for me. I like more of the standard/sport touring/UJM kind of ergonomics. ABS is also a must have; I had it on my last bike, and got used to having it. I'm looking at spending between $5k to $8k. Age and km's don't really make a difference to me as long as it is well taken care of.

Burgman is a much better commuter - way more storage and lots of fun in the twists but it's automaticand a good one.

6' 3 is problematic but your commute is short. I really don't think you'd like the low red line on the 700 ...we hated our demo rides,

Are you going to tour at all or just commute and local rides?

I don't see myself doing any touring in the next while; I'm having a hard enough time convincing the family that I'll be back riding again after I'm recovered.

If/when that happens I'll just trade up to something more suited to it.

I'd rather ride and be seen riding the NC700S:

nc700s-1.jpg

than the Burgman 650:

AN8E0153.jpg

The NC will carry and store a boatload of stuff (full face helmet, for example) in its "tank":

mo-beginner-2013-honda-nc700s-31-empty-luggage-box.jpg

but can play the role of proper motorcycle when you're not commuting.

Most people's complaints about the bike centre on the engine: its low specific power output and incomprehensibly-low redline. But if your primary use is a 15-min commute on nice days (or just free-air tooling around the countryside on weekends etc) I don't really see the problem. With fuel economy in the high 60s or low 70s mpg and relaxed engine speeds (120kph @ 4000) it's ideally suited for what you want it to do.

I'd try one if you can. Sounds like it's right up your alley.

unless its a screaming great deal , the one yr only model thing could mean really long waits for parts or no availability at all. I've owned some really odd ball stuff, its fine as long as you realize what you've done.

For what it's worth the NC750S came out a year or two later and it had much better reviews. Apparently the 750 version gave you just a little more oomph which made the the 6,800rpm redline less intrusive. Again, the 750S was only out for one or two years, but the motor lives on in it's brother bike, the NC750X. At 6'3", you may want to consider the 750X. Same engine, same built in storage where the tank usually is, but a little taller so your legs aren't so cramped. Lots of 750X's available used at a descent price. I remember sitting on the NC750S and thinking for me (5'8", 30ish" inseam and an achy back) it was the most natural and comfortable seating positions ever! Everything was exactly where it felt like it should be. No reaching for anything, just a slight lean forward at the waist. If I were interested in a commuter bike I'd give this one a look. Plenty of power for real world riding.

The only reason most motorcycle riders where so hard on the bike's engine (IMO) is that it is a standard UJM motorcycle with an engine that has characteristics of a cruiser engine. Low end power, short shifting, more than capable of cruising on the highway at just above posted speed limits, sounds like a cruiser to me, just with a much more comfortable and capable chassis! I'm sure there are some cruiser riders out there who hear "6,800rpm redline" and think that is high!

Last edited:
@blackfin, I actually don't mindvtge looks of the burgman, but I ride a purple bike so wtf do I know? ?
@bradw just saw in another thread that a gtamer has the nc. Paging @Skyway6 to the thread please.

Sent from the Purple Zone

than the Burgman 650:

Poor baby ....deprived of common sense - afraid of getting teased :rolleyes: ...the Burgman will run circles around the 700 except in top end and with a top case has 110 litres of storage - near on that of a Wing with factory luggage.....Lots of fun to ride, way more weather protection, way more features.....but of course if you''d be embarrassed.....well....

••••

OP would be better served with the CB500x if he's considering that direction - spirited fun machine.. Terrific bike and stacked up nicely against the Vstrom to my surprise. The 750 version in a cruiser style is a better use for that Honda Jazz motor .....but then I don't like cruisers.

••••

F800r or F700GS. The 2017 Yamaha FZ 07 now that it has abs option would be also a good option.

I was thinking the same tho he wants storage.

Last edited:
Desperately rifling thru as many bike rags as humanely possible given time the constraints in the run up to the new year (happy to you and yours) I can't help but notice max hp and torque figures on many bikes below 6,800 crank shaft revolutions per minute. I fail to see the problem with NC 700/750 in that regard. Will admit to a certain degree of bias as "loathing the buzz bomb" would be a personal understatement.

Poor baby ....deprived of common sense - afraid of getting teased :rolleyes: ...the Burgman will run circles around the 700 except in top end and with a top case has 110 litres of storage - near on that of a Wing with factory luggage.....Lots of fun to ride, way more weather protection, way more features.....but of course if you''d be embarrassed.....well....

There's nothing wrong with the B650 except that it's a 500+ lb scooter, not a motorcycle. As a tool for trolling highways like a Mini-Me Wing, it's fine. A former colleague of mine -- an older gentleman -- had one and I was impressed by it as a well-featured vehicle complete with a powered windscreen and automatic gearbox.

I merely expressed the opinion that a motorcycle would be preferable to me to a scooter for reasons of image and performance. It's a rare motorcyclist that is not at least partly concerned by how they look and how they're perceived by others on the road. Harley riders epitomize this but the concept is clearly not alien to those with more sporting pretensions. If it doesn't matter to you, good on you. I see you were a Burgman owner in a previous life so clearly there's a raw nerve here...

To each his own.

There's nothing wrong with the B650 except that it's a 500+ lb scooter, not a motorcycle. As a tool for trolling highways like a Mini-Me Wing, it's fine. A former colleague of mine -- an older gentleman -- had one and I was impressed by it as a well-featured vehicle complete with a powered windscreen and automatic gearbox.

Correction, 600+ pounds! Even as useful as scooters are, the OP won't be happy if he wants a motorcycle--they represent different ideals. What really irks me are motorcycles saddled with luggage, factory or otherwise. Why try and make a lithe cat practical? It's absurd, like the NC700 frunk.

Last edited:
well having owned (own) both the NC750S and now the NC750X, The low red line does get annoying on the standard NC tho it seems similar to a cruiser which also have low redlines.
You can get used to it. For commuting it is great but I find the DCT much better with this engine. You have a choice of 4 auto modes and can go full on push button shifting if you wish.
One thing about this redline issue tho, you can use ALL of it. From idle to redline is all there to use. Compared to the Ninja 650 i had which was usable from around 4k to 9k rpm.

At your height tho OP i would not get the S version. See if you can find an X. You would be too cramped on the S. Was a great bike tho. did a 700km-ish run in summer 2014. Much of it mountain
highway. I was cruising at 150kph on the stretch btwn Merritt and Kamloops. (the hwy there speed limit is 120)

Also for commuting these bikes are great in that they use so little fuel, more like a 250. I went from Squamish to Hope and only used 7L of gas. (a distance of ~200km)

the tank storage or "frunk" is a great feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
There's nothing wrong with the B650 except that it's a 500+ lb scooter, not a motorcycle. As a tool for trolling highways like a Mini-Me Wing, it's fine.

You might think twice about challenging one in the twists ?? But then what would I know ?...I've only owned two for 7 years and 100,000 km...hardly counts does it.?
And it is 600 lb. Terrific lights, brakes, acceleration and reliability plus superb weather protection and storage.
Short fuel range, eats tires are the downsides.

Don't diss what you don't know. :rolleyes:

You might think twice about challenging one in the twists ?? But then what would I know ?...I've only owned two for 7 years and 100,000 km...hardly counts does it.?
And it is 600 lb. Terrific lights, brakes, acceleration and reliability plus superb weather protection and storage.
Short fuel range, eats tires are the downsides.

Don't diss what you don't know. :rolleyes:

Check the emotions at the door. Nothing Blackfin said was disingenuous. It is a commuter tool. So you've managed with the wrong tool for the job; should we get you a badge or something?

An appeal for calm, followed by a taunt. Keep it classy, Mr. Five.

An appeal for calm? No sir, that was a taunt followed by a taunt. The OP stated long ago, auto was not what he was looking for, yet the Burg suggestion carries on. Look it's cool if that your thing, but don't pretend it's anything more than what it is... that's personal attachment talking; ie EMOTION. It be like me telling everyone my RSV4 is a great commuter. I manage when I do use it, but that's not it's forte.

Back
Top Bottom