New to the Forum from Ireland. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to the Forum from Ireland.

JonnyIrish

Hi Guys,

I would like to introduce myself, I'm Jonny from Ireland, moved to Canada over a year ago. I have been riding motorbikes (motorcycles) for 8 years or maybe 9 :confused:.

I have owned everything from little 125cc bikes to 1000cc rockets, I currently have a Yamaha FZ6 at home in Ireland but no bike here yet.

Recently I went into exchange my Irish motorcycle licence to an Ontario one, but the refused but they will change my car for some reason?

They will let me bypass the wait times between stages and progress to my full ..............

So in the Spring I plan on resitting my licence and getting out and seeing Canada.

Anybody has any advice or tips for me getting my head around the licencing/Insurance I would be more than happy to hear it.

I leave you with a picture from my travels in Ireland.

Jonny.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 126
Welcome. I'd rather ride in Europe. No advice here about licensing as It's been decades since I had to deal with it. As for insurance, shop around and get a real quote, not an online one, before you buy a bike. We don't have any MOT here, just a one time safety to get your bike plated when you register it, if you buy used.

Definitely get some insurance quotes before getting a bike, it can be a shock to many from out of country. There might be a trick to getting your riding experience in Ireland to count for insurance here, hope somebody can chime in with that

Welcome! Not sure how they'll factor in your past riding experiences, but Ontario insurance sucks, depending on the bike you're looking at. Paul South at Surnet, and the fine folks at Dalton Timmis were both very competitive for me when shopping for rates. If you have your home/car with one provider, you might be able to bundle a bike in. Goodluck and hope to see you around!

Check with some of the insurance pros here. Not sure if a letter of experience from your insurance company back home will help or not? It depends on the company, country of origin and other things that an agent can explain better.

Welcome and good luck with your motorcycle exploits here in Canada.

We have a habit of knocking the riding experience her and tend to point to other places we'd rather ride.

Good roads can be found but, takes some patience to get to them and they don't last very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Canada. This is a huge country and the roads are endless. Two days of non-stop riding doesn't get you far on the map. Roads are not as smooth as Ireland because of frost heaves, heavy trucks, etc. Where to begin for good rides? Throw a dart at the map and explore, or join one of the road riding clubs, or just jump in on one of the rides with the gang here.

Welcome!

• Get quotes for insurance before buying anything
  • A letter of experience from your old insurer (as well as proof of previous motorcycle licence history) may be beneficial if you can find an insurer willing to accept it and give credit for it.

Others also touched on both of the above, but they're important. Focus on these, especially the first one...before you put any money down on anything.

As for when to buy....NOW is good, so get going. The market is at the absolute bottom around this time of year - people that have bikes they no longer want will be highly negotiable on pricing, particularly if they want to sell to free up funds to purchase something new themselves. Around March people start to get a whiff of spring in the air (well, maybe not this year if the forecast goes as predicted, but that's another story) and the motorcycle market wakes up, so expect prices to creep upward - by April prices will be at their peak as everyone is looking for bikes and it's very much a sellers market, not a buyers market.

Our licensing system for MC's is fairly simple - when you buy (presuming you're looking at used?) you need the owners copy of the ownership document (a small green slip of paper that will show his details as well as the bikes details), a bill of sale, and a UVIP - the "Used vehicle information package". Make sure to get the UVIP, and look at it - it will show in clear language the ownership history of the bike and confirm that it's actually in his/her name, as well as (most importantly) if there's any liens (bank loans mainly) against the title. You don't want to buy a bike with a lien on it obviously, but some people try, hence the UVIP being important. It's supposed to be the sellers responsibility to provide/show you the UVIP at the time of sale...if they don't, you have less of safety net against anything unexpected, and when you go to switch the ownership and register the bike they will force YOU to buy it instead...at which point skeletons may come out of the closet. So make sure potential sellers have it and are willing to show it to you...and that it's recent, not a 6 months or a year old. ;)

With all that in hand, you need to get the bike to a shop that does motorcycle certifications (not all do, so you may wish to go to a motorcycle centric shop) and get it certified. The cost is usually between $60-$100 plus any work it may need to make it certifiable.

How to get it to the shop is your choice/problem - if the previous owner will ride it there for you (if it's still plated and insured), that's easiest...otherwise you may have to trailer it there. U-Haul rents motorcycle trailers for cheap, that's always an option.

Once you have the certification paperwork, arrange insurance - your company/agent/broker will send you a temporary coverage slip via email on request and you wait for the full paperwork in the mail later.

Once you have everything (Insurance, ownership, UVIP, and certification papers) you go to a Service Ontario centre and you can change the registration into your name and get your plates & sticker in one fell swoop. Plan for some time there, these centres (especially the ones in Toronto or the GTA in general) can be crazy stupid busy.

Once you have your plates, you're good to go...whenever the weather turns.

As for where to ride, well, getting out of Toronto is the first challenge... After that, head Northeast (Think 100-200K circle of Algonquin Provincial Park) and you'll find some interesting roads. Ontario alone is over 10 times the size of Ireland as a whole, so you'll find lots to explore. :)

Last edited:
Welcome. I would suggest going to the overcrowded over priced motorcycle show at the International Centre just after New Years day. Amidst the bikes, gear and junk food you will find numerous insurers.

I don't know if they give on the spot quotes for people in your situation but it would give you a chance to plead your case in person if you run into someone with experience on the matter.

I don't know why a bike license is treated differently than a car or if Ireland is treated differently that the USA, Northern Ireland or another province.

Once you have everything (Insurance, ownership, UVIP, and certification papers) you go to a Service Ontario centre and you can change the registration into your name and get your plates & sticker in one fell swoop.

To add to PP's comprehensive post, this is the point where Ontario sales tax is paid.

Also, if you buy used (or new, of course) from a dealer, you'll avoid all the running around with the safety certification.

Thanks guys, This information puts it in black and white for me. I have been looking at bikes for the past few weeks and will be ready to pull the gun at the end of next month. It shocks me how hard they are making it for me and I have talked to several different people in Service Ontario and nobody seems to know what they are talking about. It was only 2 years ago Ireland got direct exchange licences, but they are telling me it was only for cars and doesnt cover motorcycles, but if i held a UK licence I can do a Direct transfer. Option 2 is when I am home visiting Ireland in February, I go visit my sister in Birmingham, exchange my Irish licence for a UK one. Then when i come back to Canada change it for an Ontario one

I guess in the defense of Service Ontario employees, they don't have to deal with motorcycles or motorcycle licenses very often. That's what I tell myself when I think about when a Service Ontario clerk asked me for my e-test when I was buying license plate stickers for my bike (motorcycles are not subject to emissions testing and never have been)

@JonnyIrish I think you will save yourself much hassle if you get that UK license.

Sent from the Purple Zone

I guess in the defense of Service Ontario employees, they don't have to deal with motorcycles or motorcycle licenses very often. That's what I tell myself when I think about when a Service Ontario clerk asked me for my e-test when I was buying license plate stickers for my bike (motorcycles are not subject to emissions testing and never have been)

Kid you not, i went to service ontario to get the ownership transferred to my name, the lady looked like she was on some STRONG medication.. (one of those paper pushers that just needs to have her fix to get through the day, super nice though...)

Welcome. I would suggest going to the overcrowded over priced motorcycle show at the International Centre just after New Years day. Amidst the bikes, gear and junk food you will find numerous insurers.

I don't know if they give on the spot quotes for people in your situation but it would give you a chance to plead your case in person if you run into someone with experience on the matter.

I don't know why a bike license is treated differently than a car or if Ireland is treated differently that the USA, Northern Ireland or another province.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...orcycle-Show&p=2469032&viewfull=1#post2469032

Was nice to catch up with all our friends there and I did pick up one thing; food poisoning. Not sure if anyone else got sick but the ice cream is all I had there and I ended up painting the concrete floor with it, twice. Oh and my car will also never be the same. Fun times.

Hey bud, welcome to Canada!
I was in your shoes last year and I must say the licensing process is pain-taking! Feel free to pm if you need any suggestions/guidance (from a new immigrant perspective).

Thanks guys, This information puts it in black and white for me. I have been looking at bikes for the past few weeks and will be ready to pull the gun at the end of next month. It shocks me how hard they are making it for me and I have talked to several different people in Service Ontario and nobody seems to know what they are talking about. It was only 2 years ago Ireland got direct exchange licences, but they are telling me it was only for cars and doesnt cover motorcycles, but if i held a UK licence I can do a Direct transfer. Option 2 is when I am home visiting Ireland in February, I go visit my sister in Birmingham, exchange my Irish licence for a UK one. Then when i come back to Canada change it for an Ontario one

It's pretty back asswards but government likes to make money however they can, and probably wants to make sure you aren't going to filter/split because we don't have the road width or attentive drivers to get away with that safely. Welcome to the forums and country by extension. :eek:ccasion5:

Back
Top Bottom