My Insurance Experience - SS Bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

My Insurance Experience - SS Bikes

black_CG2

Hey guys,

First of all, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

I have decided to post my own experience with motorcycle insurance, specifically SS bikes.

I got my M1 and M2 in 2012. By then I have already had full G with clean record. G1 in 2004, G2 in 2005 and G in 2009. I was excited to start riding but didnt have the money. So I waited until 2013 to get "1 year of M2" experience.

In 2013 got some quotes for 600SS bikes around $3k/year in Toronto. Decided it was too much for me and got a ninja 300 abs. Insurance on it was $690. Then sold it within 7 months to get gixxer 600 (Spring 2014). Paid another $450 on insurance for it. The renewal was $1140. When I got my 750, the insurance increased to $1340.

All of this was with State Farm and I had my rental and car insurance too. State Farm was quite awesome to deal with until spring of this year when they increased the rate. My renewal was $2400.

Currently I am with Royal and Sun Alliance. They do stand alone insurance too. I paid $1105 for my 750 from Sept 2016 to
Sept 2017. Liability, fire and theft included. Oh and I forgot to mention that I got my M in May of this year. That did not make a difference with State Farm, but made a huge difference with RSA.

I am 29, live in Toronto and have a clean record so far (knock on the wood).

Keep your record clean and you should be able to ride your dream bike legally. Just because these bikes can go crazy fast, does not mean you should do the same and put yourself and others at risk.

Ride safe, pose hard at timmys and have fun :)

fbpic1_zpsk7vyprb7.jpg

Hope this helps.

im down to $551 per year on my cbr600rr, but also outside of the GTA, clean record, full m and had a motorcycle licence 10+yrs

new guidelines came down today for bikes under 751cc im not sure how the rates will be but it looks to be friendly to the newer riders and sport bike class.

new guidelines came down today for bikes under 751cc im not sure how the rates will be but it looks to be friendly to the newer riders and sport bike class.

what is this you speak of? Any links?

i can read into it a bit more at work today...links, not really its just what they send us. you may be able to access it on their general website but make sure you select aviva canada.

Just reposting what I posted in the thread on the General DiscussionPage.

Hey Guys,

To confirm, there have been some changes to the Motorcycle rates with Aviva, which will be affecting you as of Sunday (Jan 1[SUP]st[/SUP].)

There are some good things to the bad things…. For New Riders, Aviva is allowing less than four years of experience to ride motorcycles up to 751cc, where the make and model of motorcycle are not surcharged. This has increased from the previous threshold of 660 cc.

However, they’ve increased the age factors for riders 16-34 years of age, as well as the surcharge for super sport motorcycle riders 29 years of age and under.
This means that No, they will not cancel you if you’re under29 y/o. They will simply increase premium.

Sadly, this doesn’t look good. But on the plus side you can get a bigger bike at a younger age!

Simon

Just reposting what I posted in the thread on the General DiscussionPage.

Hey Guys,

To confirm, there have been some changes to the Motorcycle rates with Aviva, which will be affecting you as of Sunday (Jan 1[SUP]st[/SUP].)

There are some good things to the bad things…. For New Riders, Aviva is allowing less than four years of experience to ride motorcycles up to 751cc, where the make and model of motorcycle are not surcharged. This has increased from the previous threshold of 660 cc.

However, they’ve increased the age factors for riders 16-34 years of age, as well as the surcharge for super sport motorcycle riders 29 years of age and under.
This means that No, they will not cancel you if you’re under29 y/o. They will simply increase premium.

Sadly, this doesn’t look good. But on the plus side you can get a bigger bike at a younger age!

Simon

Thank you for clarifying!
1)So by "increasing the age factor for 16-34" they have raised rates for people in that age group? Regardless of the type of motorcycle they ride(Cruiser for example?)

2)In addition they have increased the surcharge for anyone riding a super sport 29 and under?

3) If your under 29, but ride a non super sport, will your rates be going up as well(with aviva?)

I guess this means you can ride any bike upto 751cc provided its not a SS.....damnit this means i could have bought the fz-07 if i waited till now(previously i couldnt get it insured w/ aviva)

Last edited:

Thank you for clarifying!
1)So by "increasing the age factor for 16-34" they have raised rates for people in that age group? Regardless of the type of motorcycle they ride(Cruiser for example?)

2)In addition they have increased the surcharge for anyone riding a super sport 29 and under?

3) If your under 29, but ride a non super sport, will your rates be going up as well(with aviva?)

I guess this means you can ride any bike upto 751cc provided its not a SS.....damnit this means i could have bought the fz-07 if i waited till now(previously i couldnt get it insured w/ aviva)

Hey Bigpoppa,
1. Very Unsure, info provided has been vague at best.
2. Not from what it reads.
3. Again not from what it reads. Best to keep an eye on your renewal package, and make sure you contactyour insurance provider to keep on top of any changes.

Hey Bigpoppa,
1. Very Unsure, info provided has been vague at best.
2. Not from what it reads.
3. Again not from what it reads. Best to keep an eye on your renewal package, and make sure you contactyour insurance provider to keep on top of any changes.

I just got off talking to paul south(my broker) and he said it shouldnt affect me.

Back
Top Bottom