Thought and review on armoured hoodies or flannel shirts? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thought and review on armoured hoodies or flannel shirts?

slower than your skin will shred at any speed.. the idea is to balance staying cool in high temps with decent protection ...

and again ...fervent imagination

Scott%20Crash.JPG

One of our users Scott describing his personal Forcefield "crash test" experience during an accident:

Hi,

My buddy and I both bought the Forcefield harness just prior to our recent trip to N. Thailand. In this shot, Bill had just dumped the bike on pavement pretty hard and walked away without a scratch. The harness was virtually undamaged.

Sincere thanks,

Scott R.

and

One of our users Mike Y., describing his personal Forcefield "crash test" experience:

I just wanted to let you know that I had a chance to crash-test your shoulder, elbow and back armor in a 45mph low-side crash a few days ago. I landed on my left shoulder, slid on my back onto my right side and came to a stop. What amazed me is that I did not feel the impact AT ALL!!! I know Forcefield armor is said to be very good but I disagree - it is the best on the market. I have no upper body injuries thanks to your armor. The armor is expensive but is nothing compared to what would have happened without it. I'm a believer and a fan of your stuff and will let all my riding friends know about my experience. Thanks for making such an amazing product!!

Thor Force XP Knee Guards ... The first accident was over 100mph Friend of mine fork seals went out he lost control let go of the bike and slid ... the CBR as a shield after impact I let go and slid about 100ft if I didn't have this vest on I would have no skin on my back

it's like the nonsense about melting mesh. The worst thing about mesh is the armor can shift.

I wear the gear that is appropriate to the speeds and weather conditions....no ATGATT for me.

Knees and forearms/shoulders are really vulnerable on initial impact as thats where you land ....and again ...2/3 of riders will never go down on pavement ...off pavement different story.
Overheating and dehydration are real risks all the time in warm weather. An armored mesh shirt is very nice in hot weather.
Can't comment on the compression armor but suspect it's pretty warm.

happy with my Bohn armour in hot/cold weather

How is that stuff? I like the idea but the website seems more like a giant timeshare ad. And, if it was truly a good product, why isnt it available at the local level?

The two reasons why I've not yet caved and ordered. That and the fact I'm a tall, skinny type and a good fit with mc gear is hard to find. Bought some Icon Overlord jeans at the show and the size 30" was just a tad too big. Had them send me the 28" and though they're just a wee bit snug, it's better than them falling down, lol.

Not all of us Harley riders are big, fat and hairy. ?

Cheers,
EZTRGT
Kyle

Suspenders are your friend....especially for dedicated riding pants but I liked them so much I wear them on my 501 Tac pants as well.

I have been tracking the subject of melting mesh gear for a couple of years now. The cases of riders actually stating their mesh gear melted in a crash is quite rare, but there are cases. I try to document, with photos, the circumstances and the actual gear. This guy crashed at 55mph / 89kph. Any getoff at that speed will have consequences. As to whether his jacket actually melted, though it could have been his liner, it really does not matter. Mesh is synthetic, heat it up sufficiently and it it will melt.

His photos are too small to actually see if the mesh outer layer did melt. If it did melt you should be able to see hardened and thickened material around the perimeter of the rashed area.

MacDoc's idea of an exoskeleton, coupled with an overshirt is well worth considering. If a mesh keeps your armour in place sufficiently for that initial hit, or two, then the mesh has done its job. That you get rashed after crashing at 90kph is part of the risk you take with mesh. Of course leather is best, but I'd die of heat stroke at 28C in the summer. The exoskeleton fits tight and will stay in place when you need it. What happens to the outer layer is really inconsequential.

If you find any cases of mesh that did melt, or even textile that melted, please send a link my way and I'll add it to my collection.

Oh good, I can ditch my d-air suit and wear some Moto gear instead. The full leathers get to be quite hot after 15-20 laps so this will help. I'll wear mesh and the plastic armour just to keep my imagination from running wild.

I sent an email to Thor to ask their opinion.
"Hello, A friend swears by using the Impact Rig SE with an oversized shirt over it, for hot weather on the street. Some of us are considering it, but wondering how viable it is, considering the intended use is for off road. Thanks". Maybe they'll have some insight.

Wear what you want .I could care less....you want to be a cooked sausage at 30 degrees fine. I'll be in 3 months of 30+ every day next week and I'll see one in hundred riders with full armor, one in 20 not wearing shorts...and most squid.

You won't listen to the guy that went down on pavement at 160 kph but what do you think Thor will say to protect their ***??? :rolleyes:

I'll give you a little tip ...the level of gear worn made little or no difference in fatal motorcycle accidents ( helmets excepted ) in an Australian study.
2/3rds of riders will never go down on pavement.,...it's not a track.

You want to play holier than thou attgatt nazi???
Why not answer the OP question instead....oh yeah ..no experience.

Last edited:
I've gone down on a gravel road at 80-90km/h wearing an impact rig by six six one. I'd trust it on the road. Maybe only once but I'd trust it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

What's wrong with perfed leather? It flows a ton of air and is comfy even above 30c (as long as you're moving.)
Agreed. I bought a teknic perf leather 2 years ago, never wore it. Tried it for the first time this summer and it's fantastic! Flows way more air than any of my textile jackets and the armour in it is a level above anything else my other jackets have.
I don't know why but any teknic jacket I've tried on, I just grab a 42 and it's like they made it for me every time.

Edit. It's black leather, I imagine it would be hot sitting in the sun. However I don't sit in traffic. I usually ride 80km backroads everywhere and rarely go near the city on my bike.
Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wear what you want .I could care less....you want to be a cooked sausage at 30 degrees fine. I'll be in 3 months of 30+ every day next week and I'll see one in hundred riders with full armor, one in 20 not wearing shorts...and most squid. You won't listen to the guy that went down on pavement at 160 kph but what do you think Thor will say to protect their ***??? :rolleyes: I'll give you a little tip ...the level of gear worn made little or no difference in fatal motorcycle accidents ( helmets excepted ) in an Australian study. 2/3rds of riders will never go down on pavement.,...it's not a track. You want to play holier than thou attgatt nazi??? Why not answer the OP question instead....oh yeah ..no experience.
I believe that you are overreacting.

Thanks guys. I recently bought the armoured hoodie. The protection is decent and fits decent. The armoured is just as free as my mesh jacket. I would say only my leather jacket has like armour that won't move. I think this will be a good casual hoodie around town.

The purpose of me buying this was to wear it if I was going out for a long day and that I wouldn't need to look like a motorcyclist. It's at least better than squiding.

@MacDoc - have you had any issues with the zippers failing on the unit you bought? I was reading some reviews and the biggest complaints were:

1. Zipper failing (opening up while riding)
2. Very hot / sweaty when you're not moving

Outside of that the reviews were fairly positive. I was thinking of something like this to put underneath my mesh jacket.

That include the old hockey helmet with the cage or just the visor. Don't forget the gloves to for that REAL CANADIAN look. ;)

Just put on your old stinky hockey gear, toss a hoodie on and your rollin. Iron man **** right there.

Back to OP's original question. With armoured hoodies or flannel shirts, having the armour is a plus, but I would be concerned with:
a) as others have mentioned, the ability of the garment to keep the armour in the right place, and;
b) thinking this through, if the armour is kept in the right place, then how long before the material surrounding the armour rips (hoodies and flannel are usually mostly cotton) because of the pulling forces on the armour?

Back
Top Bottom