Thought and review on armoured hoodies or flannel shirts? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thought and review on armoured hoodies or flannel shirts?

stickman88

Anybody have experience with armoured hoodies or flannel shirts. These are obviously used for the more casual ride and going from place to place without really needing to take your jacket off. More for the city ride. I did a few research on some and the ones I'm looking at have CE approved armour in both the back shoulders and elbow and is also Kevlar lines at the arms.

Thoughts and input.

No experience with those.But best advice is to buy the best gear you can afford...and wear it.

I have an armored and reinforced jean jacket which I quite like. Perfect for hot days.
As long as the shirt or the hoodie has elbows, shoulders and back protected, I'd consider it.
Some cheaper mesh or textile jackets are probably no better than flannel anyhow.

I feel super safe wearing leather gear but on longer trips or when it's super hot, I just can't do it.
When I overheat I don't enjoy the ride and I also can't stay focused.

I'm with Lightcycle and jc100. You can't go wrong with a corona tank top.

It may be for a casual ride but I don't think there's anything such as a casual fall.

Even with a proper fitting, textile jacket, with one liner still inserted, and full armour, including shoulders, at 30 km/h, I still managed to destroy my clavicle. Given that hoodies, "tend" to be looser fitting not sure I would trust the armour to stay in place.

I've seen the Joe Rocket armoured plaid shirt (with zipper) and it's nice but loose. So if you spill, will the armour be where it should be to protect you? I'm gonna stick with my tighter fitting jackets that keep the armour in place.

Hi All,

I have one of the Joe Rocket Gastown armoured hoodies. I bought it last summer as my jacket was just too hot in that heat we had. The jacket was plenty cool, though I did buy a large instead of a medium and it's a bit loose on me. Will it offer the best protection in the event of crash? Probably not but it's better than nothing and the heat can be just as deadly.

Cheers,
EZTRGT
Kyle

I wear this for heat
ScreenShot2013-07-24atJul24201343330PM_zps92201e50.jpg

and often just throw an oversized shirt over it. Better armor than my jackets and kidney belt is removable as is the backplate.

It is very light

I wear this for heat
ScreenShot2013-07-24atJul24201343330PM_zps92201e50.jpg

and often just throw an oversized shirt over it. Better armor than my jackets and kidney belt is removable as is the backplate.

It is very light

That is intended for dirt riding, isn't it?

And ?

You can go squid in the heat or get some impact protection that is also cool ...up to you ...armor is armor....and likely better than what is in most jackets - which don't have chest protectors either and many without rigid back protection.
The mesh shirt holds the armor in place on the joint - unlike armored jacket and pants where armor can move around with the fabric.

Good discussion here

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/armor-on-the-body-or-armor-in-the-gear.914126/

Last edited:
And ? You can go squid in the heat or get some impact protection that is also cool ...up to you ...armor is armor....and likely better than what is in most jackets - which don't have chest protectors either and many without rigid back protection. The mesh shirt holds the armor in place on the joint - unlike armored jacket and pants where armor can move around with the fabric. Good discussion here http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/armor-on-the-body-or-armor-in-the-gear.914126/
... And, you're re-purposing something for not its intended use, is all.

Since it's intended for dirt, there need not be any specs for abrasion resistance on asphalt.

To do that you'd have to add another layer that has the required abrasion resistance.

Would what you're describing be acceptable to take an M1 course? Should it be?

Be careful is all.

I have a the Joe Rocket Hardcore Canadian for lazy cruises around town (sub 80Km/h roads), it is nice and breezy but I wouldn't wear it on serious rides even with the tie downs it has built in

Isnt the old axiom dress for the slide, not the fall?

Im sure that dirt bike armor is great, on TOP of actual gear, otherwise i have heard horror stories about the heat from slides generated by friction and contact from the surface causes that plastic to melt and stick to the skin(painful i imagine)

Back
Top Bottom