Valve Adjustment intervals and reliability? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Valve Adjustment intervals and reliability?

bigpoppa

About to get my honda's valves adjusted(because the previous owners never did) its right around the 25k mark which is when they should get adjusted/checked anyway.

I was looking at yamaha's website and noticed they have valve adjustment intervals at every 42k.

Is this a way to gauge a bikes/engines reliability? The longer it can go without valves adjusted, the better?

Is this another one of those indicators , like the lower rpm redlines, that are a good indicator of a reliable/bulletproof bike(or engine?)

There have been many cases in the past where factory intervals have been out to lunch in both directions.

If you hear tapping/clacking noise coming from the engine it's a good idea to have them checked. At 25k I don't imagine they need adjustment. Do it every 40,000km and you won't have a problem. Get yourself a service manual for your bike and follow it. Bike will last forever. You can an adjustment yourself using a piece of bond paper (which I about .006 thickness) as a gauge if you're handy.

If you hear tapping/clacking noise coming from the engine it's a good idea to have them checked. At 25k I don't imagine they need adjustment. Do it every 40,000km and you won't have a problem. Get yourself a service manual for your bike and follow it. Bike will last forever. You can an adjustment yourself using a piece of bond paper (which I about .006 thickness) as a gauge if you're handy.

Argeed that noisy is not normal.But a loose valve making noise will not always do as much damage as a tight quiet valve.Best advice is to follow the manufacturers guidelines and stay away from an abused used bike.

get a manual, get some proper tools, use the manual to find out when to service check them. Dont do unfortunate dumb stuff like turn the engine over backwards. If you don't know what your doing and are unsure following the manual dont touch it. Save up and get a mechanic to do it. A messed up valve job will cost a lot more than a mechanic.

Dont gap your spark plugs with a cigarette pack either.

Argeed that noisy is not normal.But a loose valve making noise will not always do as much damage as a tight quiet valve.Best advice is to follow the manufacturers guidelines and stay away from an abused used bike.

Had frekeguy inspect before i paid, runs like a dream

get a manual, get some proper tools, use the manual to find out when to service check them. Dont do unfortunate dumb stuff like turn the engine over backwards. If you don't know what your doing and are unsure following the manual dont touch it. Save up and get a mechanic to do it. A messed up valve job will cost a lot more than a mechanic.

Dont gap your spark plugs with a cigarette pack either.

Agreed, i probably could have done it, as i do most of the maintainance myself, but i think this might have been a little tricky(for now)
and i know you gotta tighten all the cover bolts to the right speccs and as i currently dont possess the right torque wrench, ill just let frekeguy do it :)

Argeed that noisy is not normal.But a loose valve making noise will not always do as much damage as a tight quiet valve. Best advice is to follow the manufacturers guidelines and stay away from an abused used bike.

^^^ THIS... tight leaves the possibility for a valve to not fully seat, which equals burnt valve, which equals head job. Valve clearance often reduces over time, particularly on the exhaust side, as the valve recedes in to its seat eventually reducing the clearance to zero, which then allows the valve to hang open when it should be closed.

To make this even clearer:

Assuming the valves were ever properly adjusted (they have to be as part of the engine assembly process), they generally only get tighter & quieter as the valves wear into the cylinder head. If you are actually hearing a valve problem on a modern bike, it is probably way too late

Last edited:

check the valve adjust
This that, whatever

About to get my honda's valves adjusted(because the previous owners never did) its right around the 25k mark which is when they should get adjusted/checked anyway.

I was looking at yamaha's website and noticed they have valve adjustment intervals at every 42k.

Is this a way to gauge a bikes/engines reliability? The longer it can go without valves adjusted, the better?

Is this another one of those indicators , like the lower rpm redlines, that are a good indicator of a reliable/bulletproof bike(or engine?)

+1..

1. Follow MFG guide lines, they have spent a bunch of time figuring this stuff out.

2. Valve adjustment intervals differ between motor types.
For example something archaic might be every 6-8k, more modern super sports like a GSXR platform will be at 42k. Probable a new gen cbr RR platform would be around that 42k mark.

3. Lower Redline / longer service intervals just means there might be a ton of clearance or allowable wear between components. Also it could also mean that the technology in the motor might be outdated / old.

For example a Small block chevy from 1970 vs a new Small block chevy are totally different. (taking type of fuel system out of the equation) the new motor is way more robust, makes way more power and has tigher clearances.

If you are after something that has 'long' service intervals, you are after a motor that does not use flat tappe cams, more of a roller rocker type of valve system would give you a longer service interval.

Same as CHAIN DRIVE, VS BELT DRIVE VS SHAFT DRIVE. Weight, Cost, maintaince etc all play a big part.

This is bad advise. Sorry to say.
In a modern bike , if you at a point where you hear clanking - it is too late. Now you are replacing components.

At 24K-25K if the factory manual says it needs a adjustment - 9/10 - it will need it adjusted.
Modern bikes with tight clearances and multiple valves per cylinder are sensitive to valve clearances.
Add throttle / fly by wire , electronic controlled servo motors throttle bodies - it gets even more important.

Too tight = wear cams, galls cams , valves seals
too loose = gets expensive, big loss of power.

Bond paper for a feeler gauge = bad idea.

A bit off topic.Harley has a new motor with zero maintenance valve train.This'll be fun to watch.

A bit off topic.Harley has a new motor with zero maintenance valve train.This'll be fun to watch.

Don't Harleys already have hydraulic lifters?

HD has had hydraulic lifters for years, they apparently have a self adjusting lifter system now that works with engine expansion from heat and wear and has zero lash on the valve train.

An almost completely maintenence free system won't stop guys from replacing the hydraulics with solid lifters to gain a 1/4hp...... that and loud valves save lives.

This is bad advise. Sorry to say.
In a modern bike , if you at a point where you hear clanking - it is too late. Now you are replacing components.

At 24K-25K if the factory manual says it needs a adjustment - 9/10 - it will need it adjusted.
Modern bikes with tight clearances and multiple valves per cylinder are sensitive to valve clearances.
Add throttle / fly by wire , electronic controlled servo motors throttle bodies - it gets even more important.

Too tight = wear cams, galls cams , valves seals
too loose = gets expensive, big loss of power.

Bond paper for a feeler gauge = bad idea.

valves too tight most notably cause lack of heat transfer from head of valve to the seat in the head, not only does the valve face surface deform easier in this overheated condition but the oil on the stem burns and causes problems in the guide such as sticking valves (common in large twins that get pipes and no jetting).
Valve seating pressure also keeps the seat and face clean, if valve is tight this pressure is lessened, allowing the beginnings of cascading issues I mentioned.

Too loose will at least be allowing oil between parts and the valve can shed it's heat to its seat, eventually it can lead to other wear problems. On many valve trains with rocker arms it's not necessarily bad to hear some ticking.

Maintaining your engine according to manufacturers specifications is good for most owners but be aware that maintenance intervals must be adjusted if an engine is seeing heavier or more severe use. In other words, if an engine is living a harder life it should see more maintenance. I advise this to dealers filing warranty claims for the same repeated repair.

Or just get a VFR and don't worry about having to do the valve check till close to 100k

Or just get a VFR and don't worry about having to do the valve check till close to 100k
Honda is good.My Goldwing 1800 has 100k and the solid lifters are still in spec.

Back
Top Bottom