What bike can i reasonably upgrade to next season? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What bike can i reasonably upgrade to next season?

How heavy is the OP? Would have to be a lot to limit the Shadow that much if it was running properly.

Doubt that would be an issue unless our OP is in the 400-500+ range.

I'm far from small and had my wife's old 250 up to 100K the day I brought it and rode it home across Toronto. I've also rode my wifes Vstar 650 a few times and also had no issues getting it up to 401 speeds, nor has my wife.

I think it either had a mechanical issue of some sort or the OP wasn't keeping it in the power band.

The '95 600 had something like 39 horsepower. It's unsurprising the OP was concerned about passing power, especially if he's a bigger guy. At 439-lbs dry (so perhaps 465-lbs wet), it's no lightweight for that power. It's possible that the bike had issues if it really did only top out at 110kph but even at 100% it would never have had a well of reserve power that would satisfy him.

I thought the same about my first bike. Then a guy with a couple of decades of experience took it out and showed me what it could do.

After I "upgraded" to something that could do highways without going so high in the powerband, I found that highways kinda suck on a bike.

It's much more fun taking 80 kph backroads than going in a straight line on the 100 kph superslab. But everyone has to learn their own lesson.

I thought the same about my first bike. Then a guy with a couple of decades of experience took it out and showed me what it could do.

After I "upgraded" to something that could do highways without going so high in the powerband, I found that highways kinda suck on a bike.

It's much more fun taking 80 kph backroads than going in a straight line on the 100 kph superslab. But everyone has to learn their own lesson.

Honestly id rather ride on the 60 km/h backroads, theyre usually empty, deserted and scenic

Kid I bought my 250 from couldn't understand why I wanted it when I had 750s. I used the 250 all week downtown and the rest on weekends in the boonies or cross continent.

i sold the bike because it did not feel safe on the highway.

i weigh around 195lbs so i do slow it down a bit. But as a highway bike its unsafe for me.

it only has 4 speeds so its always sounds like its about to blow up. i had a go bus accelerate next to me and i couldn't pass it.

i ride 401 and 407 so its i need a bike that can comfortable and safely do 120-140km/h

anyways i spoke with my insurance agent and she told me if i stay in the cruiser class i can get a harley 1200 or bolt 950 for roughly 10-15% more than what i paid this year.

i think thats pretty good considering i dont have a M yet.

How much nicer is a sportster 1200 vs Bolt 950?

anyways i spoke with my insurance agent and she told me if i stay in the cruiser class i can get a harley 1200 or bolt 950 for roughly 10-15% more than what i paid this year.

Dont know, but if your bigger than the average bloke, the bolt is gonna be cramped. and the harley is just going to be overpriced.

If you and your broker are looking at a cruiser i suggest a nice metric cruiser(I still dont know how a 600 shadow cant do highway) but take a look at this

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...50/1219151948?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

and this

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...50/1210768420?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

i sold the bike because it did not feel safe on the highway.

i weigh around 195lbs so i do slow it down a bit. But as a highway bike its unsafe for me.

it only has 4 speeds so its always sounds like its about to blow up. i had a go bus accelerate next to me and i couldn't pass it.

i ride 401 and 407 so its i need a bike that can comfortable and safely do 120-140km/h

So did you actually max it out or only went as fast as you thought it sounded like it would take?

A Sportster 1200 isn't a lot of fun on the highway. It will do it real easy but, the wind blast takes the fun out of things after a while.

I suspect the Bolt to be the same.

You can look for a Sporty 1200 T with bags and windshield that helps.

Honestly, the VFR will be the most comfortable. And I'm the resident Sportster guy around here.

I ride from St Kitts to Ottawa. And ride from London to St Kitts fairly regular. I'd rather the car if it's just to get somewhere. Just squares the tires.

The secondary roads to catch the scenery is my preference but, sometimes you can't take your time and need to be somewhere.

The shadow is a 5 speed just like the Bolt and Sporty. I think the Sportster is at 3k when 120km/h? It's right in the sweet spot for power delivery.

Recommend you get aftermarket multiple peg mounts. Depending on the model, it's feet forward to just under.

I had a Ninja 500 that was a pleasure to ride on the 401 all day. Way better than the HD.

Love the hog. But the love fades the longer I'm on the highway.

If you can find a decent 1200 X, it could be better but, still not the best wind protection and really not meant to have a windshield. Standard seat position might be more comfortable. Higher seat. Foot pegs below. Not the cruiser "C" posture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its about comfort(or highway) id recommend a V strom....Sat on one of those the other day, was PERFECT! so comfy, it fit like OJ's glove.

Back
Top Bottom