What bike can i reasonably upgrade to next season? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What bike can i reasonably upgrade to next season?

dina

So 2016 was my first year riding

28 male(29 in 2017)
G (clean, absolutely no claims or tickets ever since being licensed in 2006)
m2 April 2016
Toronto (M1R)

i rode a 1995 shadow 600 (around $1200 year, liability only)

i sold that bike now want to upgrade to something i can ride on the highway with.

3 bikes in my head

1. Honda VFR800
2. Harley Davidson xr1200
3. Yamaha Bolt R Spec

how much will the insurance rates vary between these bikes?

Insurance is too specialized, so you'd have to call them and see. That said, I'd expect you'd probably pay at least double for all three you listed. The Bolt might end up being the cheapest as it isn't a Harley, and also isn't a 'sports' bike (considering the VFR typically lands in the sport or sports touring category, vs cruiser/touring).

+1 Should have kept the Shadow till you got your next bike. Why isn't the Shadow capable of highway use?

For highway comfort, I'd go with the VFR. The other two don't offer a lot of wind protection and can make for some tiring rides if going a fair distance.

I ride my Sportster from St Kitts to Ottawa and would prefer the back roads for riding enjoyment. But it manages the highway just fine.

As for insurance, it varies all over. Just best to call for a quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a couple of V-twin cruisers on that list.
I have always taken it for granted that insurance rates go up at 1000cc, though I might be mistaken about that.
Kawasaki Vulcan 900, Suzuki Boulevard C50 or M50, and Yamaha Star 950 tourer are all comparable V-twins just under 1000cc.
A close cousin is the Kawasaki Vulcan S, a 650 parallel twin with a cruiser frame.

Specs on the 600 shadow show top speed of 110mph or 178kph

Either there was something wrong with your bike or you were not using the gears and powerband correctly

If you have sold your bike I assume you no longer carry any motorcycle insurance. Be prepared for the insurance companies to give you no credit for the time you had your 600. They will rate you as a brand new driver again since you have not had continuous insurance on a motorcycle.

If you have sold your bike I assume you no longer carry any motorcycle insurance. Be prepared for the insurance companies to give you no credit for the time you had your 600. They will rate you as a brand new driver again since you have not had continuous insurance on a motorcycle.

Doesn't it also depend on if you didn't have car ins. as well? I don't recall any change when I was without a bike for a season.

Either there was something wrong with your bike or you were not using the gears and powerband correctly

x2. My wife spent time on the 401 this summer during a few trips on her Vstar 650 and had no problem clipping along with us at 120, and plenty of power to get out and around trucks for passing etc.

Something was wrong if you couldn't muster over 110. If it was a 250 or something I'd understand it, but not a 600. Heck, back before my wife upgraded I took her on the 35/115 a few times on her 250 to test it's abilities and she was doing 110+ without much struggle.

Op, if the focus is on longer highway trips, the VFR will do it with ease. The others will to but, with minimal wind protection and might get a little tiring.

insurance is all over the place.

The XR is a bit of a standard style with limited numbers. Look for a Bonnie that will have similar ergos and decent power.

The Bolt is good too. Test em out and see what suits you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a used vtx1300. Enough power. Cheap and insurance isn't too bad.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I picked up a used vtx1300. Enough power. Cheap and insurance isn't too bad.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Welcome to the VTX club. Love mine.

So 2016 was my first year riding

28 male(29 in 2017)
G (clean, absolutely no claims or tickets ever since being licensed in 2006)
m2 April 2016
Toronto (M1R)

i rode a 1995 shadow 600 (around $1200 year, liability only)

i sold that bike now want to upgrade to something i can ride on the highway with.

3 bikes in my head

1. Honda VFR800
2. Harley Davidson xr1200
3. Yamaha Bolt R Spec

how much will the insurance rates vary between these bikes?

Insurance depends on the CC of the bike(unless its considered a supersport)

Also have you sat/test ridden any of those? I found the Bolt to be extremely cramped (i'm 6'2 though)

Specs on the 600 shadow show top speed of 110mph or 178kph

Plenty wrong. My Shadow 500 can putt at 120kph all day with a bit to spare. I've never taken it above that. High revving, yes, but not lacking in power or speed. How much do you weigh? I'm sure if you posted this on hondashadow.net you would have words with some riders.

Then again you've ridden for sorta 1 year. What can you afford for insurance? Buy whatever you can afford, but more than the cost of the bike is the cost of insurance.

Last edited:
Shadow 600 tops out at 110 with me on it. completely unsafe passing power.

Something wrong with that bike bud. A 600 should do all of 170km with a 170lb rider. Plenty of freeway passing power.

As for what you should buy, tell us what you want to use the bike for. Racing around country roads? Freeway cruising? Long trips across the country? Weekends at the track? Give us some direction.

Back
Top Bottom