Where can I get my gear dog undercut? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where can I get my gear dog undercut?

joey12jet

Any shop that I can send my gear undercut around GTA? How much does this usually cost?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I know of no one on this side of the border but http://www.fastbygast.com/ is not far away (Buffalo).

Make sure you are actually solving the problem you intend to be solving and not something else. Undercutting removes material from the engagement dogs and doing so CAN weaken them.

Does this look worn or bad undercut?

abdef5d92856da179b59e6539bcd5327.jpg

896ee128dc4f22d811ebb73203ca06c3.jpg

2b917d0402fbb144a4b83c90e43c30c3.jpg

4ec6995d809f39f781e9529fa635a1c3.jpg

116f165634f0e3df67aa339d152905b8.jpg

Those look OK from here. Were there issues with the transmission? (don't fix stuff that is not broke)

You also need to inspect the mating slots in the adjacent gears and check that the shift forks are moving the gears properly into full engagement. On this end of the internet, the engagement dogs look like they still have as-cast surfaces, which is indicative of very little wear.

Those look OK from here. Were there issues with the transmission? (don't fix stuff that is not broke)

You also need to inspect the mating slots in the adjacent gears and check that the shift forks are moving the gears properly into full engagement. On this end of the internet, the engagement dogs look like they still have as-cast surfaces, which is indicative of very little wear.
I open the thread before seing my transmission.

I recently bought the bike with lots of spare. It looks like the spare transmission is better, no wear.

I was just told by the PO that it has issues during hard acceleration in 2nd gear. I will do further inspection. Thanks

We used to undercut transmission gears when I worked at Niagara Race Crafters back in the 90s. Most gears these days have a factory undercut, you should keep in mind that once you additionally undercut a gear you're through the surface hardening of the dog so you can expect accelerated wear in the future.
Most times you'll need to replace the affected pair of gears (2nd and 6th usually ) the shift fork AND the shift drum because it's pathways are damaged the fork pin forcing it to rotate when the gear disengages.

those pics are of the wrong set of gears. as brian stated, look at the other set, those are the ones that wear.

Back
Top Bottom