What Are The Chances of My Insurance Dropping After One Year of Riding? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What Are The Chances of My Insurance Dropping After One Year of Riding?

Man with all due respect I dont think we should be giving advice like that to new riders. I know what you mean by get the bike you love but I wanted an R1, Busa & zx14 when I was 18. Even if i had all the money to afford the bike & insurance at that time, I think that would've ended up badly for me. Running before you know how to even walk properly is a bad bad idea. Once you grasp the concept of riding a motorcycle, switching gears, braking, counter steering, lane positioning, leaning & hundreds of other things & master those things THEN I think upgrading to a bigger bike ( Even a liter bike from a 300 ) is still okay if the rider respects the machine.

You can drive a Civic fast and a Porsche slow. Only one person in charge of speed.

Now whether you can control your right hand/foot is another problem.

Personally I don't think I could ride a 300 to it's limits. So is that a downgrade from my current R6?

I hate the term upgrade. Want another bike? Get one, but don't ******** me with this "upgrade" stuff.

Oh yeah, and pay for your toys. If you have to borrow money then you can't afford it.

The best advice I can give to an 18 year old is forget about owning motorcycles for a bit. Wait until you are 25. Meanwhile, work on yourself like get educated or start a business, go to gym, meet people, network, don't borrow from credit card etc etc. Become successful. In the process get GM2 and keep your record clean. Then get all the toys!

My mid 40's self would agree with that. My teenaged self at the time, probably not so much. ;)

we really need to have a 'go to veteran' to guide these kinds of noobies...7 grand for a ninja 300? great deal? in the same sentence? 5700 for an R3 is the standard price, not getting a great deal, and you wont with a dealer most likely.

Buy used, buy cheap, buy 300cc. come back in a few years then ask again.

I wouldn't even pay more than 5 for a decent 600SS

I wouldn't even pay more than 5 for a decent 600SS

I hear ya

Best advice.

Debt is oppression

Live free

Yep...

Kids 18, im guessing hes not in a great financial situation(dont finance till your stable enough to get a mortgage)

Besides first bike doesnt mean much, heck i bought a street bike, and am thinking maybe i should have bought a 300cc...or a dual sport!

Dont think you know what you want, till you actually get some seat time and learn what you REALLY want in a motorcycle

I hear ya

Yep...

Kids 18, im guessing hes not in a great financial situation(dont finance till your stable enough to get a mortgage)

Besides first bike doesnt mean much, heck i bought a street bike, and am thinking maybe i should have bought a 300cc...or a dual sport!

Dont think you know what you want, till you actually get some seat time and learn what you REALLY want in a motorcycle

Lol my first bike was a '76 Honda mini trail. Lost it in a swamp somewhere in Kingston. I loved that thing. People seem to think they can just hop on these SS bikes and start doing rolling burnouts. I've been riding my whole life pretty much and it would be a big decision for me to jump to an SS.

I ride a 500 now for insurance cause I've only ever done off-road.

I love my 500. Perfect for booting it around downtown.

An r3 for an 18 year old is going to be more than enough. 18 is young. I'd have no license if I had a street bike at 18

Last edited:
Lol my first bike was a '76 Honda mini trail. Lost it in a swamp somewhere in Kingston. I loved that thing. People seem to think they can just hop on these SS bikes and start doing rolling burnouts. I've been riding my whole life pretty much and it would be a big decision for me to jump to an SS.

I ride a 500 now for insurance cause I've only ever done off-road.

I love my 500. Perfect for booting it around downtown.

An r3 for an 18 year old is going to be more than enough. 18 is young. I'd have no license if I had a street bike at 18

Yep, some seat time changes perspective quite a bit

I have a 500, and was honestly thinking of 'downgrading' to an R3 or ninja 300...
Those little bikes are super fun to rev high, and light, like a sport bike that has useable power and low insurance

R3 is redlining at 12.5k, and ninja at 13k....

You dont realize until you get a bike that all those old heads talking about riding a slow bike fast IS more fun than riding a fast bike slow

Last edited:

Yep, some seat time changes perspective quite a bit

I have a 500, and was honestly thinking of 'downgrading' to an R3 or ninja 300...
Those little bikes are super fun to rev high, and light, like a sport bike that has useable power and low insurance

R3 is redlining at 12.5k, and ninja at 13k....

You dont realize until you get a bike that all those old heads talking about riding a slow bike fast IS more fun than riding a fast bike slow

What are you riding? I've got an en500 that I am doing some minor mods too. I like mid range bikes for the **** I do

I love the 3's

Last edited:
What are you riding? I've got an en500 that I am doing some minor mods too. I like mid range bikes for the **** I do

I love the 3's

cbr500, its torque-y and although i love her, i still wish sometimes it would rev higher than 8500

I test rode the ninja and the r3, and man i still remember how fun the R3 was

Haha sounds like you need to just buy both

Wife might kill me hah!
I'll probably get a dual sport next, for a little long distance adventure touring/offroading

Don't you ride a CBR500? You'd probably be trading up in power.

Dat torque doe
Its got slightly more power than the 300s, but has more torque

In all seriousness, most guys cant even push these little bikes to 70%

I like high revving bikes, that have power at the top, and cheap on insurance/gas isnt bad either
Doesnt hurt that theyre super light!

Last edited:
you will outgrow that r3 in 3 months get a 650

...and then a 600 SS in 4 months, and a 1000cc SS bike in 6.

Clearly the only viable solution is to get an H2R and ride it illegally. Even then, purchasing a set of solid rocket boosters in advance is likely a good call.

Sarcasm aside, at least in my experience, most of the people who say you can easily 'outgrow' a small bike want to go fast in a straight line (and likely park it in the corners). Only three things that made me want a larger bike was for passing power on the 400 series, to not have to keep speeds up as high on the straights to have fun in the corners, and to have more fun on rides when the bike in front of you DOES park it in a corner/just before the corner, leaving no room for a 250-300 to get back up to a fun speed.

Back
Top Bottom