What Are The Chances of My Insurance Dropping After One Year of Riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What Are The Chances of My Insurance Dropping After One Year of Riding?

Toronto

I'm currently 18, I'm planning to start riding next year. I got an few quotes for 300/600's and those numbers were not that pretty for the 600's. I got quoted around $3000/year full coverage for either an 2016 Ninja 300 ABS/R3. The quotes for every 600's (ZX-6R ABS, GSX-R 600, R6 ABS, CBR600) were all over $11,000/year full coverage, which was pretty high, I was expecting around 6-8k per year for 600's. Do you think if I purchase an Ninja 300 ABS and ride it for one whole season, what are the chances that 600's quotes for me would drop below $5000? I really wanted to start on an ZX-6R ABS, but found it too tall for me (I'm 5'11), then I sat on the GSX-R, which then I fell in love with because it wasn't too tall or big for me, it felt like I was sitting on a 300, but I knew I had the power of an 600 below me. I was planning to ride with the Ninja 300 ABS for one season and switch to an 600 within the following year. What are your thoughts?

I'm currently 18, I'm planning to start riding next year. I got an few quotes for 300/600's and those numbers were not that pretty for the 600's. I got quoted around $3000/year full coverage for either an 2016 Ninja 300 ABS/R3. The quotes for every 600's (ZX-6R ABS, GSX-R 600, R6 ABS, CBR600) were all over $11,000/year full coverage, which was pretty high, I was expecting around 6-8k per year for 600's. Do you think if I purchase an Ninja 300 ABS and ride it for one whole season, what are the chances that 600's quotes for me would drop below $5000? I really wanted to start on an ZX-6R ABS, but found it too tall for me (I'm 5'11), then I sat on the GSX-R, which then I fell in love with because it wasn't too tall or big for me, it felt like I was sitting on a 300, but I knew I had the power of an 600 below me. I was planning to ride with the Ninja 300 ABS for one season and switch to an 600 within the following year. What are your thoughts?

Honestly dont worry about a 600 now because you haven't even ridden yet. Even if money wasnt the issue, personally I think upgrading to a 600 after a 300 after just 6 months of riding is still a bit much but depends on each rider. A 500 or a 650 is also a good bike to start on because it still has a lot of power compared to a 300. Get a 500-650 and gain some experience on them, as you get older you will have enough experience and record to get a nice quote on a 600. I cant justify paying 5000 to ride a 600 lol. Even 3000 is too much for a 300, Try paul from aviva, desjardins, statefarm. Why not buy a used bike and save your money now and you can get a brand new spanking 600 later ?

Honestly dont worry about a 600 now because you haven't even ridden yet. Even if money wasnt the issue, personally I think upgrading to a 600 after a 300 after just 6 months of riding is still a bit much but depends on each rider. A 500 or a 650 is also a good bike to start on because it still has a lot of power compared to a 300. Get a 500-650 and gain some experience on them, as you get older you will have enough experience and record to get a nice quote on a 600. I cant justify paying 5000 to ride a 600 lol. Even 3000 is too much for a 300, Try paul from aviva, desjardins, statefarm. Why not buy a used bike and save your money now and you can get a brand new spanking 600 later ?

The dealer that I'm getting my bike at is having an few great deals at the moment, $5700 out the door for a brand new 2015 R3 (comes with frame sliders/something else that i forgot) or $7300 out the door for a brand new 2016 Ninja 300 ABS. I just have to put an down payment of $500 now, so nobody can purchase it and have them store it till spring. The R3 is an great bike, more power than the Ninja 300, very good looking, but I like the stealth look of the Ninja 300 ABS a lot more than the flashy R3. The Ninja also has ABS as well, which will help me from killing myself, haha. That's why I would like to just purchase a new bike, great deals and don't have to worry about past owners screwing it up.

..... I really wanted to start on an ZX-6R ABS, but found it too tall for me (I'm 5'11), ....

If that's too tall for you at your height...you need more experience. You need that anyways. Doubt ins. will go down much with just 1 year riding at your age. Stick with the 300s for a couple of seasons.

If that's too tall for you at your height...you need more experience. You need that anyways. Doubt ins. will go down much with just 1 year riding at your age. Stick with the 300s for a couple of seasons.

;( I'm TALL THOUGH 5'11! Haha. What do y'all think about the 2016 Ninja 300 though? Does it look pretty badass for an 300? Should I change the exhaust? I'm going to do an few mods on it though (Frame Sliders, etc). Or should I just leave it stock for everything?

Stick with the 300s for a couple of seasons.

Should I change the exhaust? I'm going to do an few mods on it though (Frame Sliders, etc). Or should I just leave it stock for everything?

Take Riceburners advice above, and don't' worry about a bunch of mods - your first bike will not be your last and modifications are things you'll never got your money back out of...and can sometimes be a negative so far as resale value.

Buy a bike that fits you properly and is within your skill capabilities and affordability scale - remember, you're paying for insurance for 12 months out of the year (even in weather like this where your bike won't see the road for many months) so that bleeding-edge of affordability rocket may be fun in the summer, but will you still feel the same way in January and February when you're making those crushing insurance payments still?

And if you haven't already done it, sign up for the spring motorcycle training courses - money very well spent.

;( I'm TALL THOUGH 5'11! Haha. ....
That's my point, at your height it should not be too high a seat height for you ...if you had experience. I'm fine with almost any street bike and I'm shorter than you, but have almost 3 decades of experience. My feet don't have to touch down fully.

As PP said, leave it stock cause it won't be a return on investment and really doesn't add to it's performance.

I got a 2800 quote from Paul at Aviva. He's one of the best and lower I could find. Dalton Timmis quoted me $3000 for the Ninja 300 ABS.

You planning on taking the MSC?

I picked up a used 2015 R3 for my girlfriend. I paid $3400 for it and it only had 5900 kms; also came with a full yoshimura exhaust. I was talking to the dealer here in London and a 2015 R3 was $5100 all in. The R3 is a great little bike and you'd have a ton of fun and learn how to ride with out the bike being too much for you.

The dealer that I'm getting my bike at is having an few great deals at the moment, $5700 out the door for a brand new 2015 R3 (comes with frame sliders/something else that i forgot) or $7300 out the door for a brand new 2016 Ninja 300 ABS. I just have to put an down payment of $500 now, so nobody can purchase it and have them store it till spring. The R3 is an great bike, more power than the Ninja 300, very good looking, but I like the stealth look of the Ninja 300 ABS a lot more than the flashy R3. The Ninja also has ABS as well, which will help me from killing myself, haha. That's why I would like to just purchase a new bike, great deals and don't have to worry about past owners screwing it up.

we really need to have a 'go to veteran' to guide these kinds of noobies...7 grand for a ninja 300? great deal? in the same sentence? 5700 for an R3 is the standard price, not getting a great deal, and you wont with a dealer most likely.

Buy used, buy cheap, buy 300cc. come back in a few years then ask again.

Last edited:
They just won't listen. I've had ppl that I helped get into riding not listen to me and went out and spent more than they should have. Crashed the bike and ended up loosing a lot of value.

Buy used, buy cheap, buy 300cc. come back in a few years then ask again.

x2.

OP, were those insurance quotes for full coverage, or liability only? And were you planning on financing the purchase through the dealer?

Those two things do not go together, BTW - if you finance, you will need to carry full coverage (including collision and theft) as part of the finance agreement. If you didn't get a quote accordingly, expect it to be higher.

They just won't listen. I've had ppl that I helped get into riding not listen to me and went out and spent more than they should have. Crashed the bike and ended up loosing a lot of value.

Yeah I did this. Bought brand new. Crashed first day. Should've gotten a cheap used 250 instead of a brand new 650R.

"Toronto", you should also buy cheap used to start. When you're ready to upgrade you should consider things like the SV650, Ninja 650, etc. The 600 supersports can be very hard and costly to insure. But maybe you have way more money than me.

Insurance should drop after year 1 (assuming no accidents, claims, or tickets), but at your age, expect to pay through the nose for insurance on any SS bikes. Also with the way insurance in Ontario is heading, I wouldn't really expect to ever pay less than $5000/year if you live in Toronto, given what rates would be by the time you turn 25.

Honestly get a 250 or 300 and ride that for a while. If you are in the city, it will have MORE than enough power, and even on the highway they'll still work competently. Also like others have said, it seems people just can't wait these days, and get a 600 or larger well before they are ready. I know people who have been riding for years and went back to the 300 class, and can leave the bulk of 600 riders in their dust.

OP get what you WANT. You like the badass looks of SS, so you should get one. If you are to get a 250/300, you will force yourself to like it. 600 will come with a price but you will love it instantly. Please do the Motorcycle safety course and get proper gear before any bike. Ride safe.

When I was 18, my computer wallpaper was of a green ZX-6R. At that age I did not even know about smaller bikes.

OP get what you WANT. You like the badass looks of SS, so you should get one. If you are to get a 250/300, you will force yourself to like it. 600 will come with a price but you will love it instantly. Please do the Motorcycle safety course and get proper gear before any bike. Ride safe.

When I was 18, my computer wallpaper was of a green ZX-6R. At that age I did not even know about smaller bikes.

Man with all due respect I dont think we should be giving advice like that to new riders. I know what you mean by get the bike you love but I wanted an R1, Busa & zx14 when I was 18. Even if i had all the money to afford the bike & insurance at that time, I think that would've ended up badly for me. Running before you know how to even walk properly is a bad bad idea. Once you grasp the concept of riding a motorcycle, switching gears, braking, counter steering, lane positioning, leaning & hundreds of other things & master those things THEN I think upgrading to a bigger bike ( Even a liter bike from a 300 ) is still okay if the rider respects the machine.

I remember buying my first 250cc. I rode up on my 750 to check it out. I had lots of fun on that 250. At the same time I owned a 750 GSXR. Each was fun in it own way. The 250 was much more fun in town though.

To be honest, my 250 was a bit more fun than my 650 at times...miss being able to redline that little bike through the first 4 gears getting up to around 100km/h. Don't get me wrong, I love the power of my new bike, but if I attempted the same I'd potentially end up in HTA172 territory before I ever got out of 1st, and definitely before I hit the redline in 2nd.

The best advice I can give to an 18 year old is forget about owning motorcycles for a bit. Wait until you are 25. Meanwhile, work on yourself like get educated or start a business, go to gym, meet people, network, don't borrow from credit card etc etc. Become successful. In the process get GM2 and keep your record clean. Then get all the toys!

Back
Top Bottom