Peel officer charged in Mississauga crash that killed motorcyclist | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Peel officer charged in Mississauga crash that killed motorcyclist

Problem is the SIU has NO teeth at all, It was set up by the government in a half assed manner. But we in Ontario are not alone in having such an organization I watch the news from Halifax as well as Vancouver. You see the same complaint about the "SIU equivalents" in both Nova Scotia and BC. All the organizations are staffed with ex officer's, most of whom still maintain the "brotherhood mentality". It would be better if they took competent Private Investigators, gave them additional investigative training, and staffed them that way.

Even when I talk to former coworkers, they, and even police brass, have no time for SIU investigators. But chances are if it were a civilian driver who pulled a U turn the charges would be the same. How often do we see drivers turning left in front of a rider that dies and being charged with improper turn, and getting the usual HTA fine. Under the courts in Canada just because the driver was an officer, they can not be subjected to different charges then would any other citizen, (which is IMHO proper, just because they are an officer they are still entitled to the SAME rights as any citizen).
ya sure, i believe you

Hearkening back to a case in Brampton a few years ago. There was this gravel truck driver who ran a stop sign and killed to beautiful girls in their Honda. I think the guy got a year in jail, plus a few suspended privileges. I suspect using cases with liberal sentences like that would put the cop somewhere in the same spot, but you know the system is going to do their best to keep him out of jail because he's a cop.

This was the second incident in which a cop pulled a U-turn on a biker. An OPP near Shelburne did it too, never heard any more about that one.

Even when I talk to former coworkers, they, and even police brass, have no time for SIU investigators. But chances are if it were a civilian driver who pulled a U turn the charges would be the same. How often do we see drivers turning left in front of a rider that dies and being charged with improper turn, and getting the usual HTA fine. Under the courts in Canada just because the driver was an officer, they can not be subjected to different charges then would any other citizen, (which is IMHO proper, just because they are an officer they are still entitled to the SAME rights as any citizen).

Aaand, the SIU just proved you wrong.

"Momentary inattentiveness" is something "any citizen" would never get off a charge on.

"Momentary inattentiveness" is something "any citizen" would never get off a charge on.
I wonder if the average citizen will now be able to cite this case and use the "momentary inattentiveness" excuse to get off a dangerous driving charge. Probably not, simply because the charge wasn't beat in court, but simply never logged, so the precedent doesn't really exist.

we all know the police officer involved will not serve any jail time but killing a person must weight heavily on oneself.

Living and working in Mississauga I see Peel Police officer turn on their lights, cut in front using the left/right lane because they are impatient and have a disregard for other drivers on the road. The family should sue, absolutely.

Actually, go back and read the entire post and put my comments in context. I was replying to a poster, who said because, it was an officer involved the penalty should be harsher. I was merely pointing out that the constitution, makes it impossible to lay a more severe charge simply because the person involved happened to be an officer. Also read the SIU comments, again in context. they didn't state that the officer's momentary inattentiveness was an excuse, merely that there is no charge under the HTA or CCofC for momentary inattentiveness. They also stated that momentary inattentiveness is not a departure from an officer's duties. In other words, no where is it written that as part of their duties an officer is required to be attentive 100% of the time. Just as you, I am sure are not 100% attentive, at work nor while driving/riding.

I agree, the officer should have at the very least been charged with an improper turn as would any other citizen, just because the SIU hasn't laid that charge does not mean the Peel police service still can't.

They could at least come up with a better excuse than momentary innattentiveness.
That shows total disregard for public opinion.

Any judge or politician worth their salt remembers one thing about the police: They know where the bodies are buried.

Those same judges and politicians also know that the electorate has the attention span of a housefly, especially for "minor" tragedies weeks or months after the fact.

Also, any union leader would be committing career suicide if he agreed to tougher measures of any sort. Hedo's opinion would likely have gotten him in some pretty hot water, even if I agree with him.

They could at least come up with a better excuse than momentary innattentiveness.
That shows total disregard for public opinion.

So you would have preferred the officer lie? Many here are of the opinion ALL cops lie ALL the time. Yet when they are completely honest, it is met with this type of comment. We can't have it both ways. :lmao:

Last edited:
. I was merely pointing out that the constitution, makes it impossible to lay a more severe charge simply because the person involved happened to be an officer.

You might rethink that.....a person in position of trust, ie coach, doctor, teacher may well indeed have additional level of charges. Same applies.

Back
Top Bottom