Peel officer charged in Mississauga crash that killed motorcyclist | GTAMotorcycle.com

Peel officer charged in Mississauga crash that killed motorcyclist

matthew

Site Supporter
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...ssissauga-crash-that-killed-motorcyclist.html

A Peel Regional Police officer has been charged with dangerous driving causing death in connection with a June crash that killed a Mississauga motorcyclist.

After a six-month probe, the province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU), the civilian watchdog that investigates deaths or serious injury involving police, announced Monday that Const. Brandon Strain faces one count of dangerous driving causing death following a fatal collision between a Peel cruiser and a motorcyclist.

If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison.

The charge stems from a collision on June 19 in the area of Tomken and Derry Rds in Mississauga.

The 41-year-old driver of the motorcycle was pronounced dead at the scene.

The identity of the motorcyclist was not released by the SIU Monday.

“The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation,” Monica Hudon, spokesperson for the SIU, said in a news release.

Strain will be required to be appear in court in Brampton on Jan. 9.

Wendy Gillis can be reached at
wgillis@thestar.ca

Why don't they release the victim's name? I am guessing it was released shortly after crash.

Family will sue the police.

As for 14 years, uhm how much time did the cop that slaughtered the kid on the streetcar get?

Why don't they release the victim's name? I am guessing it was released shortly after crash.

As for 14 years, uhm how much time did the cop that slaughtered the kid on the streetcar get?

Traffic convictions are all over the map.

From what I remember, this was due to a cop making a U-Turn...

I still remember the case of a lady running a stop sign hitting, and killing a motorcyclist a few years back. Initially charged for manslaughter, convicted of improper stop at a stop sign.

Wouldn't expect much more coming out of this case in regards to charges against the police officer.

"If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison."

That's a big IF, ho-ho! It would be easier to keep a straight face if the government simply admitted that police receive special treatment and they don't ever plan to push the matter no matter how many bodies pile up.

Forcillo is still appealing, IIRC, so he hasn't done any time yet.

Failure to Yield or improper turn coming right up. $75 ticket and get back to work.

"If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison."

That's a big IF, ho-ho! It would be easier to keep a straight face if the government simply admitted that police receive special treatment and they don't ever plan to push the matter no matter how many bodies pile up.

Forcillo is still appealing, IIRC, so he hasn't done any time yet.

Forcillo is under house arrest AFAIK. I'm sure that will be treated as time served if his lawyers work it right.

That doesn't bother me as much as there being no investigation on how he was cleared to carry a weapon. He should have been a parking ticket artist.

Nelson Arruda was the victims name(it states that clearly in the article)

I know how to solve the police dilemma, get rid of the police union, make em fire-able just like every other job where if you **** up big time, you get fired(or get some REAL jail time, instead of a slap on the wrist)

I know how to solve the police dilemma, get rid of the police union, make em fire-able just like every other job where if you **** up big time, you get fired(or get some REAL jail time, instead of a slap on the wrist)

lol

Surprised cop was charged.Not surprised at all one of the prp actually hit and killed this guy,a lot of them drive around peel like a scene out of the dukes of hazard,not gonna waste my time telling stories about some of the **** I've seem them pull,just totally ridiculous

Failure to Yield or improper turn coming right up. $75 ticket and get back to work.

$90 was the fine that the lady that killed my college classmate got when she turned left in front of him.

Surprised cop was charged.Not surprised at all one of the prp actually hit and killed this guy,a lot of them drive around peel like a scene out of the dukes of hazard,not gonna waste my time telling stories about some of the **** I've seem them pull,just totally ridiculous

A few of them are known to complete write off atleast one cruiser a year. The really bad ones get sent to the Airport Division. (which is terrifying)

The SIU is a complete joke. A total waste of taxes. I believe the charges are all optics. Charging the cop makes it appear that the SIU is actually protecting the public for a change. No doubt they are well aware the cop will only receive a small fine and get 6 demerit point on his license. This was an importunity to pick some low hanging fruit and look good to the public.

The actual cost of being found guilty is relatively trivial. The fine is equivalent to cost of a low end TV, I assume your insurance rates go up and you might lose your licence for a time. Chances of jail time are minimal. Recent case in GTA has cop running at twice the speed limit, no lights, no real emergency and kills a young girl (who was jaywalking) and found not guilty.

System is skewed in favour of people who have power and make the rules, surprise surprise.

Problem is the SIU has NO teeth at all, It was set up by the government in a half assed manner. But we in Ontario are not alone in having such an organization I watch the news from Halifax as well as Vancouver. You see the same complaint about the "SIU equivalents" in both Nova Scotia and BC. All the organizations are staffed with ex officer's, most of whom still maintain the "brotherhood mentality". It would be better if they took competent Private Investigators, gave them additional investigative training, and staffed them that way.

Even when I talk to former coworkers, they, and even police brass, have no time for SIU investigators. But chances are if it were a civilian driver who pulled a U turn the charges would be the same. How often do we see drivers turning left in front of a rider that dies and being charged with improper turn, and getting the usual HTA fine. Under the courts in Canada just because the driver was an officer, they can not be subjected to different charges then would any other citizen, (which is IMHO proper, just because they are an officer they are still entitled to the SAME rights as any citizen).

The SIU is a complete joke. A total waste of taxes. I believe the charges are all optics. Charging the cop makes it appear that the SIU is actually protecting the public for a change. No doubt they are well aware the cop will only receive a small fine and get 6 demerit point on his license. This was an importunity to pick some low hanging fruit and look good to the public.

a yuuuge importunity, no doubt

Back
Top Bottom