Vw class action settled | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vw class action settled

makes one wonder

trade in car, buy newer VW everyone wins...back room deal between governments e.g. tax/tariff reductions trade deals.
VW buyer buy VW's for a reason similar to Subaru buyers.

Phil Mortensen
Volkswagen cheats on emissions and has to pay almost $20 billion in fines, buybacks and to fix the emissions issues. GM's ignition problems were known and ignored by their HQ for over a decade, was the linked to over 100 fatalities, and the total damage to GM was less than 1/4 of what Volkswagen had to pay. Fascinating.

I have a dog in the race ...

You cannot really yet work out an accurate total number, because the CBB Sep 2015 wholesale regional values are not known, but it looks decent to me. More less what I expected. Of course there's people already who are screaming foul, because the settlement yields lower settlement figures than US deal .... which really is not surprising, because ... a) their legal system is more punitive friendly ... b) Canada's marketplace is not really that important to VW in the first place. Once you accept a) and b) .... the settlement is OK, in my opinion.

I own a 2010 golf tdi bought for 23. Wondering how much I'll be getting. But I'm confused at the figures they're mentioning. It's like 5-8 thousand....does this mean 8 is the maximum u can get for your car !?!? That's not decent at all. Considering the 2015 are going to be on the max end and 2010 is closer to the 5 grand mark?

Sent from phone, excuse typos.

Take your time reading the whole settlement, so you understand the ins and outs .... https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/

The settlement has for the most part two components .... incentive + buyback (or trade-in or fix) ... I have the same car you drive, just higher trim ... so our incentive will be 5100CAD. Your buyback cannot be determined yet because of what I wrote above. But looking at today's CBB trade-in value, max. is around 9KCAD. So, the CBB Sep 2015 value will undoubtedly be higher, I am not taking any hit on mileage (car has been parked for a while), I am thinking I could get 10K for the buy back. Total, roughly 15K when all is said and done. Yours will be similar, the only difference could be mileage.

This is going to be $5k - $8k on top of whatever they say the car is worth (in the US, they used an agreed-upon book value as of Sept 2015 when the scandal broke). If you opt to have the car fixed, you get the $5k -$8k plus (hopefully) additional warranty coverage plus "the fix". If you opt to have them buy it back, you get the total of that $5k - $8k plus what they say the trade-in is worth.

If it works out anything like what it is in the US, most people with late models are getting +/- what they originally paid for the car. The older models (2009 - 2010) not so much, but still way more than what the car would ever be worth if you were to sell it.

Our family has a dog in this fight; my sister currently owns the Golf TDI that my dad originally bought.

Thanks for their notes everyone.

So @brian p. U mentioned your sister owns the golf now that your dad originally bought...

...same situation with me. Car was under my dad's name at POS. But earlier this year when I put my motorcycle under my own insurance, I switched the car from his name to my name under a gifting rule so that I could put the car under my own insurance as well.

...does anyone think this would now disqualify me of the settlement because I was not the original owner from vw?

I mean I coooouuld gift it back to my dad

Also, they're saying it is a $2.1B deal. $2.1 billion divided by 107,000 (IIRC) owners is about $20,000 each. Obviously late models more, older models less.

As of right now, if you want to keep the car, there is no approved "fix" and you don't get reimbursed until that fix happens, which might be never. My advice to my sister is to let them have the car back. We valued the car at $14,000 when we settled my dad's estate. (2011 Golf TDI DSG, very similar to the one mxs has, I think ours has less mileage since dad didn't drive it much in the last couple of years and my sister barely drives it)

It doesn't matter who the original owner was, only (A) who was the owner of record as of the date that the scandal broke in Sept 2015 and (B) who is the owner of record now. Since in your case it's within the family, it won't matter.

If it works out anything like what it is in the US, most people with late models are getting +/- what they originally paid for the car. The older models (2009 - 2010) not so much, but still way more than what the car would ever be worth if you were to sell it.

I'd be OK with the 10K (because I don't think I would get more than 7-8K if I bother to sell it now with the small list of illnesses), but if it's more I will not certainly complain ... :)

I'm looking at what's on the website linked to above. It's going to be AT LEAST March 2017 before this actually gets rolling.

You will have to submit a claim at some point - yet to be determined but you will have to stay tuned to avoid being left out.

We will have until Mar 2017 to decide whether you are in or out (assuming the settlement get or got already signed today in court) and decide what you do, out of the three options ... Jan 27 2017 seems to be the date in the US to decide whether they have a fix for 2009-2010 cars. So people will know whether the fix is a viable option by Mar 2017 deadline.

I am hoping to have money by end of May, so the car shopping can start. It's good I have time, because I still have no clue what to get ... :-(

No heater. No ac. Needs a break job and clutch +flywheel. My compensations would cover my current illnesses only, maybe. Oh and timing belt. haha.

Dieselgate be damned. I miss the tdi Sportwagans I had for work. The payout to purchase was a little steep so, I just dropped the keys off at the dealer when I picked up the Mazda5.

My last tank of fuel with the Mazda was only 500 kms for 52L fill up. Blah!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep ... it's hard to have it both ways. Basically the TDI's are irreplaceable within the same budget/power/dynamics/fuel mileage .... oh well. But I will not miss the issues I have had with mine.

No heater. No ac. Needs a break job and clutch +flywheel. My compensations would cover my current illnesses only, maybe. Oh and timing belt. haha.

Don't even think about it ... just sign the papers and say thank you ... :)

Yea! But I've been thinking what to get next and that's driving me crazy....the torque on this golf is like 230 at 1700rpm. I would tow so easily with it:( but due to the problems it would let make financial sense to keep it

Sure, you will have to compromise, but what you can structurally tow maximum with the Golf, many vehicles can with ease ... consuming more fuel, but that's the compromise one has to make.

I need towing as well, but we are talking 1200lbs max., incl. heavy duty Uhaul trailer .... so I am not worried about that, especially when I need the towing 20 days a year ... or so.

Also, they're saying it is a $2.1B deal. $2.1 billion divided by 107,000 (IIRC) owners is about $20,000 each. Obviously late models more, older models less.

As of right now, if you want to keep the car, there is no approved "fix" and you don't get reimbursed until that fix happens, which might be never. My advice to my sister is to let them have the car back. We valued the car at $14,000 when we settled my dad's estate. (2011 Golf TDI DSG, very similar to the one mxs has, I think ours has less mileage since dad didn't drive it much in the last couple of years and my sister barely drives it)
When did your sister inherit the vehicle into her name legally ?

Mine was April of 2016 - which makes my father an eligible seller and me an Eligible buyer. This takes away my right to do the buyback or trade in option as neither of us is a eligible owner ......honestly hating vw right now.

Transfer of ownership in family should not exclude us as eligible owners!

Back
Top Bottom