2017 RACE schedule | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 RACE schedule

I am looking to start racing this year in this series after 7 years of track riding and I have a few questions:

1) Is RACE school the only way to become eligible to race?

2) Pace, I've been track riding for 7 years and I'm capable of riding with the faster people in the Red group at every race track I've been to (been to all in Ontario, except Bogie). Being my first year in racing, is rookie class the only class I'll be eligible to race in?

3) Bike prep. I have a dedicated track 2003 GSXR1000 but have kept the side stand for easier pits, since I go to the track by myself, is it a requirement to remove the side stand or can it just be zip-tied? Is the shark fin at the rear sprocket mandatory? Is safety wiring for the main bolts mandatory?

4) Weekend schedule. Friday is practice, which I'll likely be missing due to work, I think this will be ok as I am very familiar with SMP. How many practice sessions are on Saturday before qualifying? How is the qualifying session done?

You can also get your license through the new pro 6 school at bogie. Plus you will get to ride that phenomenal track now.

Not only will you learn from racers making you faster, you get to ride the track and get license. win win win.

The 12 years old >600cc thing may have made sense when that rule was written circa 2009, but it makes less and less sense as time goes on. My '04 ZX10R would be legal in Lost Era and endurance GTU, etc.

The various racing organizations dedicated to vintage bikes all use class cutoffs that are fixed in time, and every once in a while (rarely) they create a new period with new fixed cutoffs for the bikes that have now become "vintage".

The 12 years old >600cc thing may have made sense when that rule was written circa 2009, but it makes less and less sense as time goes on. My '04 ZX10R would be legal in Lost Era and endurance GTU, etc.

The various racing organizations dedicated to vintage bikes all use class cutoffs that are fixed in time, and every once in a while (rarely) they create a new period with new fixed cutoffs for the bikes that have now become "vintage".

Altering the rules was suggested but shot down.

So it is what it is. Lost era isn't lost era anymore.

I Agree with Brian....

Lost Era should be 1992-2002 as far as I am concerned. Then of course you would have people complaining about 2003+ cant win them all

That's a silly rule.

We're talking smp, my 1000 won't have any advantage over the newer 600s other than maybe the back straight, but this would even out in the corners where the 600s will have the advantage.

You will want to discuss your wishes / bike with RACE. You may be restricted to Novice 600 on your 1000 until you prove yourself. New racers starting on a 1000 is not a normal procedure.

We're talking smp, my 1000 won't have any advantage over the newer 600s other than maybe the back straight, but this would even out in the corners where the 600s will have the advantage.

Theres an advantage at SMP unless you weigh 120lbs.

You will want to discuss your wishes / bike with RACE. You may be restricted to Novice 600 on your 1000 until you prove yourself. New racers starting on a 1000 is not a normal procedure.

I was pushed into AM SBK. I was bummed and nervous at first and then realized I had no business being in novice.

I was pushed into AM SBK. I was bummed and nervous at first and then realized I had no business being in novice.

What sort of lap times are the AM SBK riders doing for long track with RACE?

I understand. But it will be CC call so he's better to take it up with him. Novice class is viewed as one of his ways to have some form of control. And no disrespect to Rossi86 but without knowing you I wouldn't want you gridng up for your first race with my kid beside you.

What sort of lap times are the AM SBK riders doing for long track with RACE?

1 52 to 1 54.

But again it's not your lap times although those are a consideration. Do you understand the starting procedures, do you panic tipping into T1, etc etc.

I am not saying that you can't start in AM SB the first round. But the man who makes that decision is an email away.

1 52 to 1 54.

But again it's not your lap times although those are a consideration. Do you understand the starting procedures, do you panic tipping into T1, etc etc.

I am not saying that you can't start in AM SB the first round. But the man who makes that decision is an email away.

I was told first thing when I showed up I'd be in AM sbk because, and I loosely quote, "If you're on a 1000 we assume you should know what you're doing". Maybe it was because of the bike I had??

If you ran 1:56 in am sbk you would be fine and have people to race with, provided as stated you can hold a line, don't freak out when passed, know the flags.......

I was told first thing when I showed up I'd be in AM sbk because, and I loosely quote, "If you're on a 1000 we assume you should know what you're doing". Maybe it was because of the bike I had??

See Rd1 May 2015 Novice 600. You will find 2 1000 cc bikes in the results.

What will likely happen is you as a new racer on a 1000 will be watched by chosen individuals to assess whether or not you know own what you are doing on a race track.

From you lap times, to how you deal with other riders.

From then the people in power will put you where you should be. Whether rookie or am sbk.

There are a lot of TD 1000cc riders that are slower than lwt production racers. Then there are guys like Derrick who are talented right off the bat. Lol

Rossi86

There is a mentor program at RACE and it saves you money. Hook up with one of the racers on here to get the details

Thanks for the replies guys. On second hand slicks at SMP, I hit 1:55:80s a couple of times in 2 different days last year, without much effort I could do 1:57-1:58s consistently. I still need to figure out my suspension as it's shredding my rear tire a lot due to squatting, and the front may be too soft as I can't get a race sag with max preload. If I get my suspension spot on and put on some new slicks, I think I should be able to run the pace of AM SBK.

Back
Top Bottom