2017 RACE SCHOOLS
April 22, 2017 TBD
May 5, 2017 Long or Pro

2017 RACE TEST DAYS
Saturday April 22, 2017 TBD
Sunday April 23, 2017 TBD

Messes with my yearly Deal's Gap trip. *sigh*

Messes with my yearly Deal's Gap trip. *sigh*

It won't mess with anyone's plans for August, no conflict with those running CSBK at Mosport/CTMP ;)

It won't mess with anyone's plans for August, no conflict with those running CSBK at Mosport/CTMP ;)

I'm going to assume that both shubie and Mosport run in August which is whey there's no RACE round??

I'm also a bit worried about the weather on the first weekend of may... last year was a show. :/

I wonder how my employer would feel if i worked nites at our competitor?

I am looking to start racing this year in this series after 7 years of track riding and I have a few questions:

1) Is RACE school the only way to become eligible to race?

2) Pace, I've been track riding for 7 years and I'm capable of riding with the faster people in the Red group at every race track I've been to (been to all in Ontario, except Bogie). Being my first year in racing, is rookie class the only class I'll be eligible to race in?

3) Bike prep. I have a dedicated track 2003 GSXR1000 but have kept the side stand for easier pits, since I go to the track by myself, is it a requirement to remove the side stand or can it just be zip-tied? Is the shark fin at the rear sprocket mandatory? Is safety wiring for the main bolts mandatory?

4) Weekend schedule. Friday is practice, which I'll likely be missing due to work, I think this will be ok as I am very familiar with SMP. How many practice sessions are on Saturday before qualifying? How is the qualifying session done?

1. No. If you've taken FAST or Racer5 you should be good to go. It's on the license application.
2. You can race in the classes that your bike is allowed. However; if you're dangerously below the pace organizers may restrict you. Consult the rules book, http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=motorcycle.rules
3. No kick stands allowed. Shark fin is not mandatory. Safety wire is mandatory.
4. In general, there are 2 practice sessions before qualifying and finals. A qualifier is basically a race with order determined by who registered first. The finish order is the start order for the race. NOTE: some classes have timed qualifiers, i.e. 15 minutes to set your fastest lap.

Last edited:
Does RACE require a front brake lever guard? SOAR does (and the shark fin). The rule book will address this plus what needs to be safety wired. In a nutshell, all fasteners that retain fluid, and all fasteners involved in brakes, and the steering stem nut, axle fasteners and clamp bolts, plus anything prone to vibrating loose. If in doubt, wire it. In some applications where wire cannot be installed, a blob of silicone may be accepted.

RACE does require a front brake lever guard.

1000 is not allowed in rookie/novice

Yeah, with a 1000 you're looking at 3 classes I think. AM Superbike, Lost Era (HWT) and Open Sprint. If there are others someone will chime in.

Yeah, with a 1000 you're looking at 3 classes I think. AM Superbike, Lost Era (HWT) and Open Sprint. If there are others someone will chime in.

They didn't run lost era hwy last year due to lack of entries.

1. No. If you've taken FAST or Racer5 you should be good to go. It's on the license application.

I'm looking to sign up for RACE school on April 22 since it falls on a Saturday, this looks like it will be a cold day to ride on track

Yeah, you never know. Last year the school/test day was a warm sunny day. Round 1 was a wet winter wonderland.

Back
Top Bottom