Is it possible to get ownership for a bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it possible to get ownership for a bike?

Pfrog

This is my first post. So first hello.

Earlier this year I got an old 1975 Batavus hs50 moped. It was is very bad shape engine seized and all that fun stuff, but I got it as a first project to learn. Since then I have gotten it running but realised that if I ever wanted to get it on the road I would need the ownership. I thought that before I go any further with the restoration process that I should make sure that there is a way I can get the ownership for the bike. Either way I will probably keep working on it, but any help you guys can give we would help.

If this is posted in the wrong place, I apologise.

Thanks.

You can take the VIN to the MTO and get a used vehicle information package. That will list the current registered owner. Get a bill of sale from them and transfer it to your name. If that doesn't work, you might be able to swear an affidavit that you own it as found property or something. Ask the MTO without committing yourself.

If I get the UVIP, will I need to track down the last owner and get them to give my a bill of sale? I highly doubt I will find them since it sat for a really long time.

Do you know more about how the affidavit works? I will probably not be able to track down the owner.

Simple advice ? Don't bother.
It will cost you more money to register, licence and insure than any enjoyment value will provide.
Those things were t*rds when they were new, and I doubt they have improved with age...

I got this off another site:

" I asked the lady at Services Ontario [lic office] if this was a problem nowdays as I did it yrs ago with an affidavit!! She said it's a can of worms now, Seller has to regisiter a "Lien" against the vehicle for unpaid storage, then send 3 notices by registered mail to last known addr. place adds. in local papers to him & the reg. owners last known addr. that vehicle will be "sold" for storage fees payment. Then he has to take all documentaion to office & get car into his name before it can be sold!!!& that involves an appraisel, & taxes paid on that + fees for transfer. She said if you buy it with out the ownership it's up to you to trace down the owner then you have to do everything above & hope he doesn't claim the car as your "screwed" then!!as you can't put a lien on it because you weren't the person storing it. It's covered in the storage & liens act of Ont. Anyone selling a vehicle with no ownership has to prove they have to right to sell it, if lost must get a new one, if not their vehicle must have all the notification letters sent out to owner as "above"& have it in their name. She said "it;s best to just avoid these situations" & walk away nowdays" Can't just go to the Judge anymore!!! Pete"

Unquote

You can google "getting ownership for an abandoned vehicle Ontario" and there are numerous links.

TK4 makes a good point. Unless you have a specific hot for the bike treat it as a cadaver, a dead body to practice on. It's a nothing to lose situation. Find the right bike and you can work on it with your new found skills.

Pfrog
It sounds as though it's going to be a pain to make the moped legal so why bother.
If you have a friend with cottage on a private road, give it to them.
No plate required for a private road.

Might try this sometime with a minibike my dad stored in his basement for a long time. He lost his ownership.

Last edited:
I got this off another site:

On the flipside, just this summer, there were lots of (apparently successful) stories on MGSO of people getting ownerships through the affidavit route without any such hassle.

It always seemed weird to me that it was so easy so perhaps these new rules are being phased in however..

OP, I would explore that option. I wouldn't give up the dream of getting it on the road so easily, especially after putting some blood sweat and tears into it - it'd feel good to set out on the road with it having achieved your goal.

^^^+1 Check it out for yourself, don't just walk away because it might be tough. Emphasis on might.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

^^^+1 Check it out for yourself, don't just walk away because it might be tough. Emphasis on might.

So true.
Try a different Service Ontario office.
When my sister-in-law passed away, I had to get a temporary licence from the MTO so I could sell her car.
When I tried to return the plate after the sale, I had to instruct the woman behind the counter on how to do the paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom