Renting a MC in the Caribbean? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Renting a MC in the Caribbean?

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
We may be finding ourselves in St. Maarten for a day in the vicinity of the holidays. ;)

I thought about renting a Harley while we were there for the day so we could enjoy some warm weather riding.

We have travelled the Caribbean and Mexico quite a lot so I'm away of many of the potential risks and pitfalls with the whole situation, but a proper motorcycle sounds so much more enjoyable vs the scooters we've rented before.

Just curious if anyones done so, specifically in St. Maarten - it looks like the local HD dealership specializes in rentals, but the website is very vague about much beyond the (surprisingly cheap) rates and that they'll supply helmets if you don't bring your own.

I'm curious what the requirements are, are there any limitations, is there insurance offered for unexpected damages (that would eliminate the $1000 deductible on their listed insurance), and mainly...what kind of condition are the bikes in? Anyone who's travelled the Caribbean enough knows that motorcycles are often held together with bungee cords and bubble gum down there.

I know I could get answers to some of those questions by just emailing them, but I always prefer first hand experience, especially on the condition side of things.

Last edited:
I'll be in St Maarten again in February I think, I havent rented a bike, but I have looked into it, I think Eagle Riders may have a franchise there now ( H-D product). The bikes I have seen are all in good shape and its not a poor island so I would guess things are kept up well.
Having had to travel a few times between St Maarten / St Martin (dutch to french side) , dont get caught out in the dark on the regional roads, its dark, not well marked and 'carribean'
I'd suspect it to safe , sane , and probably fun. enjoy.

Dutch side is the party fun side, French is much more secluded and sedate. They are both an expensive place to hangout, I'm guessing the bikes wont be cheap.

Have been to St Maarten a few times before but never rented a vehicle there...have done so on other (less wealthy) islands however.

The attraction at St. Maarten is to ride across to the airport to watch the festivities there...and of course, to just get out for a ride in January.

I think we are only in port for 6 or 8 hours so it'll be a compact day.

I'll checkout Eagle Riders as another option. The dealership is basically $99/day so that seemed pretty attractive IMHO, but other options are good.

Cruise ship stop, $99 is pretty good. They normally need at least that for any shore excursion they plan so the entertainment value is there. Which cruise line did you pick?

For others looking for real motorcycle rides, not scooters, there are a couple rental companies operating in Cuba, brand new H-D and Bmw's , purchased through Argentina. We are in Havana in Jan and going Bmw'ing for a couple days. Its not Cuba cheap, its market value.

Which cruise line did you pick?

Royal Caribbean. This will be cruise #9 with them, we've fallen into the trap of loyalty points and can't bring ourselves to try another cruiseline now, we're almost Diamond with RCI.

Will not entertain Carnival, heard too many stories from not only friends who've sailed them but also through conversation on RCI ships from people who have done both. We really should diversify (as of course there are plenty of other options vs Carnival), but honestly, we like RCI, have never had a bad experience, and yeah....that stupid loyalty points thing. ;)

We tend to use Royal Carribbean (when in the carribbean) , only had one ship we didnt like , menu. But complaining the menu in the dining room on your crusie wasn't awesome is like complaining the mileage in your Aston Martin sucks...

I wont set foot on carnival again, been there twice when the kids were small. Its good value for a family, and that's whats wrong with it.

I still spend many days at sea and we still have a boat, but after years of the worlds most expensive camping (carribean/Atlantic and south pacific sailing) my wife LOVES cruise ships. She doesnt have to cook, try and figure out WTF the anchor is caught on this time and sit up at 3am dodging container ships on autopilot. And they don't usually have sails. She loves sail boats so much she bought the house in the Arizona desert.....

St Marten eh?? Baller

Porto Rico ,St Maarten, StKitts &Nevis, Aruba, Curacu , then Bonaire for me in Feb, Totally Baller

Porto Rico ,St Maarten, StKitts &Nevis, Aruba, Curacu , then Bonaire for me in Feb, Totally Baller
You have space in your suitcase?

Have been to all of them during last cruises with the exception of Aruba.

In general I love the Caribbean, been to a few less than memorable ports (Nassau, and a really small one in the DR, the name escapes me) but overall I enjoy it.

I've often thought it would be a great "retire, liquidate everything for cash, move there and live like a king" retirement destination, but as is with many things the realities are never so easy as ones dreams.

I've often thought it would be a great "retire, liquidate everything for cash, move there and live like a king" retirement destination, but as is with many things the realities are never so easy as ones dreams.

Amen:(

Iv been trying to find a place on earth that matches my criteria:

Low cost of living
High standard of living
Year round riding weather

If i can find places that match the variables, i might move there...some day

Every time I dream about it never seems to make any sense why the realities of the locals don't match the dreams of the people like you and me.

It's no surprise to anybody that's been there that there is a lot of poverty in certain areas of the Caribbean, and when you look at the income levels, many areas would be considered sub-poverty by our income standards.

However, as a foreigner, when you look at modest houses and subsequent living expenses, suddenly everything appears drastically more expensive.

I've lauged with others that all I want is a comfortable house on a hillside somewhere amongst the palms, with satellite TV and a nice solid Internet connection, road access, and a couple motorcycles to go to and from the grocery store...and I'd be happy as a pig in ****. I'm just not sure how the locals can accomplish that while living on poverty level wages (again, by our standards) but outsiders looking in are told to expect huge initial expenses and a not insignificant cost of living every month thereafter.

We talked about it , did live for a couple winters down there on a boat. We have friends in St Maarten (dutch side) and in Bonaire that we will see when there.
I like the Carribbean but no where near as much as some other places. Palm trees and beaches and zero worries about WTF is coming next.
We talked about buying on a smaller Island, my wife's job is in demand anywhere there is a hospital or clinic. But needing security if you leave for three months, the third world lifestyle, chain link fences around homes that aren't in the projects, not so sure. Barbados I could do, but many other Islands I'm happy just stopping by.
It makes for fun conversations over beers.

My house in Arizona went on the market this week, I'll have disposable US cash shortly.......

You have space in your suitcase?

Were doing a boys weekend in Havana last weekend in Jan, you'd probably like that better. My cabin on the cruise ship comes pre equiped with a South Asain dude thats looks after stuff.

I've rented motorcycles in Aruba, Bahamas & Mexico. Usually dual sports. I've never been tempted to rent a Harley, mainly because I already ride one and also because the dirt/gravel/unpaved roads and driving habits of some of these places leave much to be desired and don't do justice to a Harley.

I just pay the security deposit and hope for the best. I've never had a problem. The bikes can be a little rough around the edges but they got me where I was going.

I did get pulled over once for speeding in Cozumel (on a scooter). My wife was riding pillion and filmed the whole thing! I pulled the old "no Habla Espanol" and they waved me off - no Mexican prison, not even a fine.

My plan is to retire there. I love the reefs

It's a nice dream but yes, the Caribbean dream always looks good on paper but the reality is different.

Plan B is to liquidate everything, but a nice coach (Hell, many of them are nicer than our house) and go wherever the blacktop takes us. South in the winter.

Motorcycles come with us.

Amen:(

Iv been trying to find a place on earth that matches my criteria:

Low cost of living
High standard of living
Year round riding weather

If i can find places that match the variables, i might move there...some day

Costa rica (Liberia area) and Panama (within a few hours of Panama City) are good bets. Panama frequently tops the best retirement countries for North Americans. Rainy season isn't the best in both of those countries but it depends on exactly where you are as there are microclimates. I travel to both these places quite a bit and am a little torn between them. Panama is a little more accessible and a bit more varied for me. Both places have excellent health care nearer the newer hospitals, Liberia has a brand spanking new hospital and Panama is one of the richest Central American countries and also now has central americas only subway system in the capital. Travel is cheap in both. Some costs of living can be high and if you want to live in a gringo gated compound you're going to pay a lot for that.

Back
Top Bottom