where to get custom spacers made? | GTAMotorcycle.com

where to get custom spacers made?

Owen

So I bought a Yamaha wr250x and also bought a full ice racing set-up for it.

Turns out the wheels I bought are the wr250F/wr450F (the wr250R and wr250x are compatible to some degree....not the F).

Apparently some guy on another forum has made a kit for the F version wheels to work on the R/X version, but I can't get a hold of him via PM.
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5949-will-a-wr250f-wheel-fit-a-wr250r

Any idea where I can go in Ontario to find a solution to this?

I'd call Stevens Auto Electric and Machine in Grimsby. I have not used them but their name was passed along to me recently as a machine shop source. Then provide a review;)

So I bought a Yamaha wr250x and also bought a full ice racing set-up for it.

Turns out the wheels I bought are the wr250F/wr450F (the wr250R and wr250x are compatible to some degree....not the F).

Apparently some guy on another forum has made a kit for the F version wheels to work on the R/X version, but I can't get a hold of him via PM.
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5949-will-a-wr250f-wheel-fit-a-wr250r

Any idea where I can go in Ontario to find a solution to this?

contact Rob Star via PM, he machined some custom parts for me before, great guy to deal with

Thanks guys (or girls)!

Has anyone ever had to get spacers made? Does this require specialized knowledge on the machinist part in regards to wheel fitment? Is this the type of thing that I need to bring CAD designs to them with the problem already solved with a ready-to-make part design?

I'd imagine the end result for cost would be the same as me trying to sell these wr250f wheels and buy a new set of wr250r/x, then pay an ice tire builder to make them.

The added bonus is I can buy a much more readily available and cheaper wr250f dirt wheels when I don't want the supermoto style wheels on there in the summer.

A regular machinist would need the drawing. Hand sketch would suffice as long as the numbers are good. I'd want to deal with a machinist/bike guy who's in the know about this sort of conversion. The contact I listed above has a bike repair business, I believe. I'd just call and ask.

Hmmm. That might help in the process ut I don't think that would be a final solution. There might even be a spacer like that already on the wheels I bought because I remember the guy saying you can get ride of the mechanical speedo, if you have one.

A regular machinist would need the drawing. Hand sketch would suffice as long as the numbers are good. I'd want to deal with a machinist/bike guy who's in the know about this sort of conversion. The contact I listed above has a bike repair business, I believe. I'd just call and ask.

Thanks!! Will definitely contact them.

Ive done this many times for many different projects swapping wheels from different bikes. I have always done the math, drawn up a simple sketch with the dimensions, and just my local machine shop turn me up some spacers to my specs...

If you are capable of doing the math and coming up with the dimension for your spacers, then any machine shop can machine them out for you....If you are not capable of that, then you will require a shop that is willing to do that for you. Usually thats where the bigger cost is, for someone to figure this all out for you....

I'd call Stevens Auto Electric and Machine in Grimsby. I have not used them but their name was passed along to me recently as a machine shop source. Then provide a review;)

Writing that name down, I'm sure I'll break something this year

Back
Top Bottom