Home Wifi Issues....looking for advice. Any tech gurus here? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Home Wifi Issues....looking for advice. Any tech gurus here?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Losing my mind at home recently as I just bought a router (D-Link) and am having issues with devices losing signal for a short period, and then back onto the signal. Not sure what's going on and can't seem to find an issue.

The router is a D-Link DIR-816L which was recently purchased at Staples when they had it on sale. Can't find the receipt so not sure if they'll take it back, I'm also not sure whether it's an actual router issue, or is it just a setting which is cycling through bands/channels etc.

I can see the WiFi icon on the iPhone 5S/iPad and it's just not working. Turn off WiFi and it works great. Sometimes it'll just keep 'loading' but nothing will come up so I need to turn off WiFi, turn back on a few minutes later, and then works for a while again...primarily with 5S. iPad working better, but still has it's hangups.

Looked into the modem from the service provider, but seems to be working properly. Laptops / iMac don't seem to have this issue and stay connected with no disruption in service.

Any suggestions welcome before I toss this thing out.

You on the latest firmware?

You on the latest firmware?

Yes. Just reset the router again and checked that I've got the latest update.

I changed a setting as well...the 'auto scan' function is now turned off for the channel that the router functions on. Hopefully this can resolve some of the issues as I found more info on it online.

I dunno. It should just work out of the box, but there are things you can fiddle with.

-Turning off wide channel for 2.4G (put it on 20MHz instead of 40)
-Making sure it's on the least occupied channel in your immediate area (use Homedale or Acrylic Wifi to find out)
-Make sure it's set to 802.11b/g/n mixed (setting it to anything else will only hurt things, even if you don't own older devices)
-Set the encryption to WPA2-PSK (some chipsets will choke on anything else, probably not an iPhone 5 but you never know)

I don't have one of these so I don't know what other settings it will have. Also since you just bought it, you can contact D-Link themselves and see if they have any suggestions

InSSIDer 3 (the last free version) is now three years old though, and doesn't recognize 802.11ac

Thanks guys appreciate the quick response. Ended up contacting D-link on their site chat support and changed some settings (after reset). Seems to be holding for now but will test when I get back home again later today. Cheers!

Thats D-Link for you.

Still never used a D-Link product that I thought worked well, or properly, for long.

Agreed. I've not only bought (and returned) Dlink equipment that turned out to be junk, but also tried to help a lot of friends and family in the same situation as well.

If you can, take it back.

I used to be a big fan of Linksys but when Cisco bought them out a few years back I found their hardware went downhill and it got to the point where I was cooking a router every 12-24 months - we are very internet centric household and I have a server as well which has a signifigant amount of incoming traffic - both are hard on routers.

I'm currently running a TPLink Archer C7 router - it wasn't to be my first choice, but I was done with Linksys/Cisco, refused to buy anything Dlink, and Canada Computers actually showed very favourable reviews (as did the staff) on the TPLink hardware so when I saw it on sale for $50 off a year or so back I decided to try it.

It turned out to be a good decision, the thing is a rock...unfortunately the firmware can't be updated to Tomato/WRT (which I was always a fan of) but FWIW the firmware is fairly feature laden on it's own so I've never found it terribly restrictive. Signal is great and it runs for months at a time without a reboot despite our house regularly pushing between 1 to 2 TB per month through it with almost constant activity.

You know my techspertize is zilch, however, it seems that you are having this issue with your phone? I found that turning off data in the phone makes a difference. If I have data on, they seem to compete for reception and then I get lagging.
More experienced techies please weigh in on this.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Used to have all kinds of speed and connectivity issues with my cheap Dlink router. Got a new cheap Linksys router and all os good now. And their app is really cool.

Assuming your modem can double as a modem/router, is the connection bridged?

Post the logs during from the modem and/or router during downtime.

I assume your laptops are connected wirelessly and not hardwired?

Sounds like it could be an IP conflict - Apple devices (and mobile devices in general) aren't usually good at reporting this issue, but might be able to see it in the logs.

Last edited:
Everything is connected wirelessly to the router.

Here is the log when I came home and connected to the 5GHz band and had issues so switched to 2.4GHz. Wife said she had some issues:

Wed Dec 7 16:17:32 2016DHCP: Server sending OFFER of XXX.XXX.X.X
Wed Dec 7 16:17:32 2016DHCP: Server receive DISCOVER from 08:74:02:78:0f:e1.
Wed Dec 7 16:17:24 2016Got new client [0C:30:21:0A:E2:82] associated from BAND24G-1.1 (2.4 Ghz)
Wed Dec 7 16:17:24 2016DHCP: Server sending ACK to XXX.XXX.X.X. (Lease time = 604800)
Wed Dec 7 16:17:24 2016DHCP: Server receive REQUEST from 0c:30:21:0a:e2:82.
Wed Dec 7 16:16:54 2016DHCP: Server sending OFFER of XXX.XXX.X.X.
Wed Dec 7 16:16:54 2016DHCP: Server receive DISCOVER from 08:74:02:78:0f:e1.
Wed Dec 7 16:16:54 2016Got new client [08:74:02:78:0F:E1] associated from BAND5G-1.1 (5 Ghz)
Wed Dec 7 15:46:35 2016DHCP: Server sending ACK to XXX.XXX.X.X (Lease time = 604800)
Wed Dec 7 15:46:35 2016DHCP: Server receive REQUEST from 44:61:32:fb:33:8c.

This is current status right now:

Wed Dec 7 19:47:52 2016DHCP: Server sending ACK to XXX.XXX.X.XXX. (Lease time = 604800)
Wed Dec 7 19:47:52 2016DHCP: Server receive REQUEST from 44:61:32:fb:33:8c.
Wed Dec 7 19:47:52 2016DHCP: Server sending ACK to XXX.XXX.X.XXX. (Lease time = 604800)
Wed Dec 7 19:47:52 2016DHCP: Server receive REQUEST from 44:61:32:fb:33:8c.
Wed Dec 7 19:47:52 2016DHCP: Server sending OFFER of XXX.XXX.X.XXX.
Wed Dec 7 19:47:52 2016DHCP: Server receive DISCOVER from 44:61:32:fb:33:8c.
Wed Dec 7 19:47:51 2016DHCP: Server sending OFFER of XXX.XXX.X.XXX.
Wed Dec 7 19:47:51 2016DHCP: Server receive DISCOVER from 44:61:32:fb:33:8c.
Wed Dec 7 19:47:50 2016Web logout from XXX.XXX.X.XXX
Wed Dec 7 19:37:33 2016DHCP: Server sending ACK to XXX.XXX.X.XXX. (Lease time = 604800)

Those DHCP messages don't indicate anything being wrong. How far away is the router when you're trying to use 5G?

My first thought is that there is another router on or near the same channel at one or more of the neighbors. As you move around the house it's signal becomes stronger than your routers and you have problems. Kestrel's first post outlined the things to do to verify that that is the case.

Everything is connected wirelessly to the router.

Here is the log when I came home and connected to the 5GHz band and had issues so switched to 2.4GHz. Wife said she had some issues:

Did a quick search and seems like the iPhone 5s may have some issues with the 5GHz band (not specific to the router). Sifting through it quickly, it seems like it could be a firmware issue (on the iphone/ipad).

There may be a potential solution in there.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5470392?tstart=0
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1286324-5ghz-wifi-and-iphone-5s

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6539725?tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6538774?tstart=0

Last edited:
Try this...check your router setting to ensure it is set to North America channels.
Also check your devices e.g. in Android you click wifi then click the 3 dots or bring up the properties to see the advanced menu and you look in there it will say WIFI Region.

Sometimes (especially with ROMS) they are set to EU and not CAN or NA therefore leads to a whack of connections issues.

See if your router has a WIFI REGION setting.

Back
Top Bottom