Are Brake Rotor Bolts Reusable? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are Brake Rotor Bolts Reusable?

I bought a torque wrench on day one of bike ownership, worked gingerly, kept a manual handy and still managed to strip a bunch. .

Are you sure you weren't getting inch pounds and foot pounds mixed up?

Either that or whatever torque wrench you bought was horribly inaccurate or out of calibration.

I haven't stripped a bolt since I was a kid. Had never used a torque wrench, engine or otherwise. Half dozen yrs. ago bought three torque wrenches thinking enlightenment. Sometimes I get queasy when tightening a fastener because intuition suggests I'm over tightening. On those occasions I feel I've lost faith in the accuracy. I hardly bother using them anymore.#Fweewilly
This. I've always gone by feel. Never had a problem. I own a torque wrench, rarely use it.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It is always good to use a Torque Wrench when possible, there is no downside to it except the extra time finding the specs and swapping sockets. I won't say I use it 100% of the time, but I will recommend using it 100% of the time.

Are you sure you weren't getting inch pounds and foot pounds mixed up?

Either that or whatever torque wrench you bought was horribly inaccurate or out of calibration.

The "minimum" setting of any torque wrench should be marked with a red zone.Using the torque wrench that you check your lug nuts with at 120ft/lbs should not be used to torque a 5mm sidecase bolt to 50 inch pounds.

Last edited:
This. I've always gone by feel. Never had a problem. I own a torque wrench, rarely use it.

I use one probably about half the time. Wheel nuts, axle nuts, pinch bolts, oil drain bolt, etc. On small bolts, I go by feel.

The "minimum" setting of any torque wrench should be marked with a red zone.Using the torque wrench that you check your lug nuts with at 120ft/lbs should not be used to torque a 5mm sidecase bolt to 50 inch pounds.

For heaven's sake, give me some credit here. I've got separate inch-pound and ft-pound wrenches used mainly in critical areas. They're backed off to minimum tension when not in use (which is most of the time). Did the DIY calibration checks and they were pretty close to the reference weights. Small fasteners for panels and covers get the "that feels right" treatment with normal hand tools. Never damaged any of those, so maybe Inreb is onto something. #tightenough. #newtonmetersrule.

I dont use my torque wrench for a lot of larger steel on steel fastening, but when tightening a small diameter steel fastener into aluminum threads its a really good idea.

I know of a few sport bikes that use a 6mm thread for rotor bolts, U can snap the head off fairly easily when you dont use one. I actually have to heat up the fastener before trying to break the OEM loctite loose or there is a good chance I'll snap the head off just trying to loosen them

From my experience - when people strip / brake hardware when using a torque wrench - its usually because they do not have the feel for the tool vs. having a bad tool.

Even the cheap torque wrenches are only about 2-4% off from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom