Are Brake Rotor Bolts Reusable? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are Brake Rotor Bolts Reusable?

Flywheel

I will need to swap in a new rotor soon but can't find a consensus on the reusability of the bolts (or are they screws?). Some seem to think they are one-use only, even if they appear undamaged. Since I would like to blame the advice of my countrymen if something goes wrong (just kidding) I would like to hear from the GTAM braintrust on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I'm a little denser than usual today. Yes they are reusable? Or yes they need to be replaced? Thanks!

they can be re-used.
what bike is this from ?

they can be re-used.
what bike is this from ?

Burgman 650, rear rotor, though there's a warped front that will need attending to soon as well. The service manual doesn't mention anything about the bolts/screws but I wanted to be sure considering the brakes are involved. I've managed to trip over other problems in the past that were easily solved when a mechanic pointed out "the obvious", which was anything but to me. In those cases, the manual mentioned zilch. Thanks.

Sorry, I'm a little denser than usual today. Yes they are reusable? Or yes they need to be replaced? Thanks!
Yes they are reusable.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

those big scoots are so lightening quick you may want to use this opportunity to go oversize on the rotors to help rein in that beast.

you can reuse the bolts.

Anything that isn't designated as torque-to-yield can generally be reused.

Cylinder head bolts for example are commonly TTY and are one use only.

Clean any old locktite off with a wire brush and make sure they are clean and then apply some blue locktite again before assembly

I understand where Flywheel is coming from - I think the rotor bolts on the ZX-11 are officially not re-usable. Unofficially, they stayed tight after being used a few times

I understand where Flywheel is coming from - I think the rotor bolts on the ZX-11 are officially not re-usable. Unofficially, they stayed tight after being used a few times

They say the same about most rotor bolts on modern SS bikes, most people reuse them, me included.

those big scoots are so lightening quick you may want to use this opportunity to go oversize on the rotors to help rein in that beast.

At first I thought my speed and skills were leaving lightning in my wake, but it turned out to be sparks as the rotor got a nasty grinding from padless backer plates. Commuting did a number on them alright--they were brand new this season along with the fronts. The rear caliper (twin sliding piston) sees lots of use during slow speed maneuvers and dampens the driveline lash (right term?) when the auto clutch gets pissy during stop-n-go traffic.

I suppose I will have to consider the possibility that those sport bikes I was keeping up with in the twisties didn't notice me and were riding slow. Much appreciate all the replies.

Last edited:
Steel bolts into aluminum will not be single use stretch bolts. Keep bolts, replace hub.<-j/k

Steel bolts into aluminum will not be single use stretch bolts. Keep bolts, replace hub.<-j/k

True, I hadn't thought of that, but this is Suzuki fastener steel we're talking about.

We have a pretty good throw away society. Talk about environmental impact

If your worried about their steel, would you not be just as worried about their aluminum......

I keep my fingers crossed, pay my insurance premiums and trust the engineers like everyone else. I bought a torque wrench on day one of bike ownership, worked gingerly, kept a manual handy and still managed to strip a bunch. Bad luck maybe? Pre-stressed by previous owners? Who knows. Never had an issue with the Kawasaki and I was constantly taking the fairings off of that thing.

The parts should arrive soon, so I'll report back on the hilariously unlikely situation I'm bound to find myself in.

I keep my fingers crossed, pay my insurance premiums and trust the engineers like everyone else. I bought a torque wrench on day one of bike ownership, worked gingerly, kept a manual handy and still managed to strip a bunch. Bad luck maybe? Pre-stressed by previous owners? Who knows. Never had an issue with the Kawasaki and I was constantly taking the fairings off of that thing.

The parts should arrive soon, so I'll report back on the hilariously unlikely situation I'm bound to find myself in.

I haven't stripped a bolt since I was a kid. Had never used a torque wrench, engine or otherwise. Half dozen yrs. ago bought three torque wrenches thinking enlightenment. Sometimes I get queasy when tightening a fastener because intuition suggests I'm over tightening. On those occasions I feel I've lost faith in the accuracy. I hardly bother using them anymore.#Fweewilly

Back
Top Bottom