Boulevard C50/M50 or SV650? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boulevard C50/M50 or SV650?

ay33

Looking for my next (second bike).
Currently own a Suzuki GZ250 and looking to upgrade to something with a little more power.

The pros/cons I see are as follows:

The SV650 is lighter, standard seating position, and slightly cheaper on insurance.
The cons are it's chain driven = more maintenance.

The Boulevard are fairly easy to find at a decent price, and are shaft driven (lower maintenance).
Cons are the pegs being so forward, and they are heavy and I'd imagine be harder to control than a SV650.

I want a motorcycle where I can let warm up for a minute or two while input on my gear, get on and ride.
I don't really want to worry about cleaning and lubing a messy chain after every 2 or 3 rides; However I want to be able to hold the bike up as well.

I'm looking for other opinions and advice.

TIA

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

There's fairly signifigant styling differences between the two. The SV has more horsepower which makes me wonder why you're getting less expensive insurance quotes vs the M50, especially since the M50 is smack in the middle of the cruiser market in both size and horsepower.

What's your thoughts on the styling? Some like the more sportbike-ish style of the SV and some like the classic cruiser look of the Boulevard. I think your preference will ultimately play a big part in the decision.

I ride regularly with a friend who has an M90 and she loves it, FWIW. Yes, reliable...simple, and powerful. The M50 slightly less so but coming from a Marauder 250 you'll find either bike more than enough to put a smile on your face.

Just a big fan of Suzuki? Nothing else tickles your fancy?

The SV compared to the 250 Marauder seating position is very very different, as the SV is a fair bit more aggressive styling for your standard/naked bikes. And chain maintenance is kinda just part of the biking life really, just get a rear stand, put it in first gear, and spray chain for 10 seconds from all angles....
I've actually also been looking at getting an M50 for my next bike, it's always been an appealing bike to me, but the power output at the crank from 0 is the biggest turnoff compared to the SV's higher 12k RPM range.

And regarding the insurance, I've also found the SV to be cheaper than the 800cc VTwin cruiser by a substantial amount ($2000 differential)

I have noticed the SV was cheaper on insurance due to the smaller displacement.
My GZ is small and thus the forward pegs arnt too far in front for my shorter stature. I feel a larger cruiser might be uncomfortable.

I'm not partial to Suzuki, actually I really like the Yamaha FZ07 and SCR950/Bolt respectively, however they are quite new models and thus not currently in my price range.
I guess Honda has the CB500F, but most of the Shadows are chain driven.

The more I ride, I can see chain maintenance being a pain. I've found it messy doing it and you get sling. And having to do it every 300 miles I can see being tiring.

I'm not fussy on "style", I want something comfortable and easy enough for me to handle, and as little maintenance as possible, as I will be doing most of the work myself. Again, I am not of big stature (5'7", 130lbs).

IThe more I ride, I can see chain maintenance being a pain. I've found it messy doing it and you get sling. And having to do it every 300 miles I can see being tiring.

I'm not fussy on "style", I want something comfortable and easy enough for me to handle, and as little maintenance as possible, as I will be doing most of the work myself. Again, I am not of big stature (5'7", 130lbs).

My wife started on a GZ250 as well and I can relate to the chain maintenance being a pain - shaft drive is so much easier.

Have you considered something like a Vstar 650 or 800? My wife is similar in height to you and she fits on her Vstar 650 like a glove - all the controls and pegs fall perfectly for her stature.

Don't let the lower CC concern you, the 650 in the Vstars performs like an 800. I just rode hers last weekend actually and it never fails to amaze me at how powerful it feels, and lets just say that I'm considerably larger than you. ;) At only 130# yourself you'll find it quite powerful. My wife put nearly 5000K on hers this summer (including the 401) and still loves it, and insurance is dirt cheap on it as well.

At the very least it could be a stepping stone bike - they can be bought cheap (especially right now) and maintain their used value well unless you put a ton of miles on it, or drop it or something.

good way to tell someone to lose their fingers bud.
Yeah you're right, while you're at it, make sure you don't cut any food for prepping, might chop em the fingers too!
Common sense and discretion where your fingers should be...

Yeah you're right, while you're at it, make sure you don't cut any food for prepping, might chop em the fingers too!

Haha, true that!!! :lmao:

On the stand, rotate the rear tire backwards with your hand and spray with chain lube.

Sorry Mangorider, your way is dangerous.

I have a friend that lost the tip of his thumb doing it your way.

I'm with you on the chain = pain in the butt thing. My current bike has a chain and my previous bike was shaft drive. While I like everything about my current bike better, I HATE having to remember to clean and lube the chain regularly. I sometimes forget to do it as often as I should and I'm sure it is resulting in premature wear on the chain and sprockets as a result. If you end up with a chain drive bike, I don't recommend lubing the chain with the bike running and in gear. You can't control the wheel spin and if you're not careful, it's an awful lesson to learn! I have always lubed the chain with the bike off and in neutral. I pop it up on the centre stand, spin the tire by hand and spray. I also have a piece of cardboard on the driveway to catch any over spray.

Lots of great bikes out there with a shaft or belt drive. There is the Yamaha Vstar 650 (two styles, skinny front tire and fat front tire) and 950, Kawasaki Vulcan 800/900 (Again, skinny front tire or fat), Suzuki C50, M50 or even the S50, also the shadow 750 either skinny tire or fat tire was a shaft drive if I remember correctly. I honestly can't think of any non-cruiser style bikes in that engine size/price range.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I had the rear seal on the shaft drive of a Tiger Explorer start leaking while touring in Europe. I made it back to the hotel just before it ran dry and locked up. Fortunately it was a rental and they had a replacement bike readily available. If it was my own bike, my holiday would have been over and I'd have been waiting a long while for expensive parts and labour. Yeah, chain drive requires minor regular maintenance which easily becomes part of your routine, but when something goes wrong its much easier to get parts and fix. Google shaft drive problems before you decide. Shaft drive also ads weight.

Also, naked vs cruiser ... apples vs oranges. It sounds like this will be your only bike, so decide how you like to ride, then shop within that category.

There's fairly signifigant styling differences between the two. The SV has more horsepower which makes me wonder why you're getting less expensive insurance quotes vs the M50, especially since the M50 is smack in the middle of the cruiser market in both size and horsepower.

What's your thoughts on the styling? Some like the more sportbike-ish style of the SV and some like the classic cruiser look of the Boulevard. I think your preference will ultimately play a big part in the decision.

I ride regularly with a friend who has an M90 and she loves it, FWIW. Yes, reliable...simple, and powerful. The M50 slightly less so but coming from a Marauder 250 you'll find either bike more than enough to put a smile on your face.
I found when it comes to insurance, CC matter more than HP, unless its a super sport in which case, the rates go through the roof(based on my extensive research while i was getting my bike)

This is why i went with a street bike instead of a cruiser(which is what i initially wanted) because they tend to be higher cc's (unless your talking a honda rebel)

to the OP

I've never ridden either, but the SV is legendary, its supposed to be super fun, cheap to purchase, easy to maintain, reliable, can be used for practically anything(except offroading)

to the OP

I've never ridden either, but the SV is legendary, its supposed to be super fun, cheap to purchase, easy to maintain, reliable, can be used for practically anything(except offroading)

When choosing between two diametrically opposed motorbikes comes down to the hassle of chain pm zen v carefree( BMW excepted) shaft final drive, super fun is probably your ace in the hole. People enjoy pleasure. Good call.

When choosing between two diametrically opposed motorbikes comes down to the hassle of chain pm zen v carefree( BMW excepted) shaft final drive, super fun is probably your ace in the hole. People enjoy pleasure. Good call.

why thank you

Does anyone else not find chain maintenance to be a hassle? just lube it. literally take 30 secs

Maybe replacement parts or replacement costs for the M50/C50 are higher, resulting in higher insurance? Perhaps more beginner cruiser riders start on a M50/C50 and standard/sporty riders come to the SV650 after learning on a smaller machine, resulting in less claims overall?

PrivatePilot I like the VStar idea except for what I understand they are carbureted and chain driven (correct me if I'm wrong).

I haven't been riding long enough to have discovered my riding style. At this point, I like to ride and take in the scenery.

Does anyone else not find chain maintenance to be a hassle? just lube it. literally take 30 secs

Meh i like to clean it in addition to lubing it, and if you do it correctly, it takes longer than 30 seconds

Gotta put it up on the stands, bring a piece of cardboard so no fluids get on the tire(Place between the chain and the tires), clean it, then lube it

but I dont think its a hassle, just everyday part of riding

Meh i like to clean it in addition to lubing it, and if you do it correctly, it takes longer than 30 seconds

Gotta put it up on the stands, bring a piece of cardboard so no fluids get on the tire(Place between the chain and the tires), clean it, then lube it

but I dont think its a hassle, just everyday part of riding
dontneedtocleaniteverytimeyoulubeit.

edit: why is only on this site my space bar works intermittently?

Back
Top Bottom