Question About "Disobey Sign" Ticket (how boned am I?) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question About "Disobey Sign" Ticket (how boned am I?)

I tried to just ask a cop about some of signage around Allen/Eglinton because some signs are covered while others are not and sometimes the covers fall off. I drove up and kindly asked "Am I allowed to pass through this road?" He replied "No. Give me your license and insurance." He gave me an official warning for driving 10 ft past a sign I thought applied to the intersection up ahead that supposedly means I cannot pass the sign.

2OAqdmV.png

Driver's Handbook says this sign means "Do not proceed straight through intersection." Police say it means "Do not enter." I argued with a supervisor via email and he sent me some official documents showing he was correct. Stupid handbook and stupid sign.

Then I complained that they should be more friendly to people that are just trying to have a chat with them and they replied that I should take responsibility for my actions and cannot disobey traffic laws just to talk to a cop. Even if it was just driving a few feet past a sign that is pointless.

Sorry, pretty off topic but I wanted to comment on the rudeness.

I don't necessarilly disagree, but todays reality is that if every company stuck to such a policy they wouldn't be able to fill positions to get the jobs done.

And lets not forget that it's the very same customers that sometimes turn the employees into bitter people - customers can be ********, anyone who's ever worked entry level retail will be the first to agree.

Who knows, perhaps this cop in question had just dealt with 15 people before our OP who ripped him a new orifice simply for doing his job. That would make even the most happy people grumpy and irritable after a while.

Again I agree, I didn't "excuse" the officer's attitude, I merely pointed out that everyone has a "bad day" at times.

So following your argument officers are not permitted to also be human beings?" If they are having a bad day, they should simply turn in their credentials and seek other employment? The scenario provided by the OP is a very tiny snap shot of that officer's day, there is nothing that indicates, this officer "can't do his/her job consistently, professionally, and respectfully" I am glad you are perfect and have never yet experienced a bad day...kudos to you, your certainly a one of a kind. I freely admit I have have had bad days, even to this day, at work, (of course I am no longer an officer).

Back to your perfect life...lol

If I lose my cool with one single POS customer who's fed up with repairing their car, and decides to take it out on me, I'm sure to wake to a page long negative review on google and potential lost revenue. Action // reaction... solution; keep my cool and save the required venting for after they're on their way. If a lowly wrench like myself can manage as much, why can't a public servant? Yeah the worlds not perfect; no reason to be blatantly disrespectful.

Exactly, I too have a shop that services the public, Which is why I didn't "excuse" the officer's behaviour, or say it was acceptable. Merely pointed out as humans we all have bad days. Of course hopefully for you and I Neil, those POS clients are few and far between. Not sure if we would be so willing to bite our tongues if 8 out of every 10 clients were POS??? LOL

As I have said I don't excuse the officers behaviour.

If I lose my cool with one single POS customer who's fed up with repairing their car, and decides to take it out on me, I'm sure to wake to a page long negative review on google and potential lost revenue. Action // reaction... solution; keep my cool and save the required venting for after they're on their way. If a lowly wrench like myself can manage as much, why can't a public servant? Yeah the worlds not perfect; no reason to be blatantly disrespectful.

Exactly, I too have a shop that services the public, Which is why I didn't "excuse" the officer's behaviour, or say it was acceptable. Merely pointed out as humans we all have bad days. Of course hopefully for you and I Neil, those POS clients are few and far between. Not sure if we would be so willing to bite our tongues if 8 out of every 10 clients were POS??? LOL

As I have said I don't excuse the officers behaviour.

Maybe a matter of semantics here, but 8 out of 10 who read that post will see excuses

Last edited:
Fwiw, I got nailed many years ago for speeding. The cop asked for the usual license, registration and insurance. When he came back with the ticket, he reached into the car and said "See you in court". I was a model citizen that day so his attitude got to me. Against the wishes of my numerous lawyer friends, I fought the ticket. When the officer was on the stand I said " You have kept excellent record of the weather, my speed, etc.." I then said " How was my attitude?". The judge looked at me and said "Where are you going with this?". I said, "Your honor, I was a perfect gentleman that day. When the officer handed me the ticket he said he'd see me in court. I took that to mean that if I came to court, that the charges would likely be dropped.". The judge looked at the officer and said "Did you say that to Mr. Dean Mac?". The officer's jaw dropped and couldn't say a word. The judge then said "I believe you did, why on God's earth did you say that?". The judge apologized to me, suggested I was speeding but knocked it down to 10 over. Not saying you do the same but I loved every moment of that trial but can't guarantee your outcome.

Last edited:
Not those who have comprehension skills and realize that thoughts in separate paragraphs are also separate.

For those without these skills, the first paragraph was referring to clients, of a private business entity, the second paragraph were in reference to the particular officer, discussed in the OP.

Maybe a matter of semantics here, but 8 out of 10 who read that post will see excuses

Not those who have comprehension skills and realize that thoughts in separate paragraphs are also separate.

For those without these skills, the first paragraph was referring to clients, of a private business entity, the second paragraph were in reference to the particular officer, discussed in the OP.

Went back and highlighted more for you.. lol

Yodude, thanks but I hardly require your assistance, when debating items with Neil. He and I are always respectful, and often agree. We also have differing opinions at times and we debate them in a civil and respectful manner, Which I would hardly characterize as an "argument". Fortunately, I can see things from both sides as opposed to a blanketed, blind support of law enforcement.

I am the first to admit there are good officers and there are those who are less than stellar examples of the profession, (just as there are in all professions).

I always tried to conduct myself professionally at all times, but I am sure there will be those who disagreed with that..lol Just because a person puts on a uniform, doesn't mean they are perfect or acquire super human traits, they are still humans, with the same traits and faults as the rest of us.

I always tried to conduct myself professionally at all times, but I am sure there will be those who disagreed with that..lol Just because a person puts on a uniform, doesn't mean they are perfect or acquire super human traits, they are still humans, with the same traits and faults as the rest of us.

No doubt, just been a noticeable decrease in respect for the public in recent years. Even at a simple spot check, more than half the officers will start by shining lights in the car; asking passengers who they are; asking where you're headed or where you been etc.. oh and the obligatory have you been drinking tonight... about the only thing they ask which is legally in their mandate; and that's the opener. Not even a hello the last three I've passed through... but don't you dare point that out or you're to the curb providing paperwork... Maybe things have changed since you were on the force. I'm personally not surprised in the slightest when I read accounts like those posted above.

p.s appreciate you (hopefully) seeing that comment for what it was; never any ill will. Don't mind the yoyo.. entertaining for a moment for sure, but you move on pretty quick.

here's the topic
[h=2]Re: Question About "Disobey Sign" Ticket (how boned am I?)[/h]

Back
Top Bottom