when did you start racing? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

when did you start racing?

Nothing like coming up on a cbr250 while riding a Superbike full throttle. Don't blink!

Last edited:
When riders from RACE or SOAR get promoted from Amateur to Pro, does this mean if they want to start racing in CSBK, they have to race in Pro? Or do they have to upgrade to the pro category from amateur in CSBK as well?

When riders from RACE or SOAR get promoted from Amateur to Pro, does this mean if they want to start racing in CSBK, they have to race in Pro? Or do they have to upgrade to the pro category from amateur in CSBK as well?

In general, Yes. Regional AM = CSBK AM. Regional Pro = CSBK Pro

Ken (kneedragger88) and I split a ride in his pickup to St-Eustache (then called Deux-Montagnes). Good thing, because I high-sided and whacked my head and was in no shape to drive home.
He recalled that one for us at the pot luck. A little funny and a little sketchy all at the same time.

I've always wondered about the price difference between lapping day's and going flat out racing for the weekend ( entry fee's, camping gear, and tires).

Racing have always tempted me as I felt that trackdays was just missing the "full on" experience of this sport. Street riding -> Canyon Carvers -> Track day Junkie -> Racer

I think I'm sold on doing a couple race weekends and occasional track days next season :glasses2:
The cost is pretty similar for an entry level racer. Entry fee for 2 classes is not far off your average trackday fee. All the associated costs are also similar as either way you have to get there, burn fuel and tires, eat food, etc.

If you are even remotely considering it, do it!

In general, Yes. Regional AM = CSBK AM. Regional Pro = CSBK Pro
Not quite... last season (2015) the runner up in in Supersport was Pro in SOAR. He was a rookie Pro but never the less, Pro !
Found out at the last wknd in Mosport, when Brent Strong mentioned it, and it got out there in the pits lolll

Not quite... last season (2015) the runner up in in Supersport was Pro in SOAR. He was a rookie Pro but never the less, Pro !
Found out at the last wknd in Mosport, when Brent Strong mentioned it, and it got out there in the pits lolll

Yes. That's what the "In General" implied.

And not just 2015. 2016 #2 in AM600 ran Pro #s at his local track but Red #s for CSBK.

Should a Rockie Pro at regionals be Pro at nationals though?

In theory yes. Cherrypicking concerns and all.

CSBK rulebook is not exact.

If you are Regional AM then you are a CSBK AM. Unless the rider has finished in top 3 Regional at year end, and then it's CSBK call how to class the competitor.

The CSBK rulebook also states tho that they hold the right to class the Regional Pro rider as either AM or Pro depending on their view of past results.

Yep, if you're pro you're pro, rookie or not. If you're running 10s off the pro pace though I fully understand them making you run AM

Last edited:
Never got to thank @JoeyB and @BrianP for the wealth of information they provided!! Thanks a bunch guys....

Started riding on the streets in 2004 and still do.
Started doing track-days in 2006 when i met this guy name Matt McBride.
Stopped doing Track-days at the end of 2015
Started Racing in 2016.
Going pro in 2017.
I am 43 years old.

Doing Riders Choice Trackdays and having Matt Mcbride there helped me get prepped for racing.
My first race weekend felt like a track-day with trophies been handed out at the end and my pocket book feeling much lighter than i anticipated.

Started on dirt as soon as I could, so probably 4 years old. Got my license the day I turned 16. Took FAST when I was 19. Totaled my street bike and needed to spend my money on school, so I didn't buy another bike until I was 21 and it was strictly track only. Did track days for a year and then hopped into racing the next year. I'm 24 now and just finished my second race season and excited for next year as I picked up a new to me CBR600.

My pace was only slightly improving with track days, but I saw the most significant change once I started racing. The extra competition just turns up the drive and need to get faster. My first year I went from being lapped by the whole grid to being up with the front pack by the end of the year. That being said, I still have tons to improve on.

Did a few trackdays, and FAST 2. Then at 48 yrs old decided to go racing. Won the SOAR rookie series and then nothing else. Just throwing money at the sport now. Maybe if I get back into shape things will change, doubt it. lol

Did a few trackdays, and FAST 2. Then at 48 yrs old decided to go racing. Won the SOAR rookie series and then nothing else. Just throwing money at the sport now. Maybe if I get back into shape things will change, doubt it. lol

Wining rookie that year was no small accomplishment, First round had 27 riders and there were some fast guys in there with some fast bikes, plus the distraction of me crashing at every corner :)

Throwing money at the sport is all any of us in Canada do. I've been doing it for 30 years. It's been a lot of money!!! Still the most fun I have ever had!

Throwing money at the sport is all any of us in Canada do. I've been doing it for 30 years. It's been a lot of money!!! Still the most fun I have ever had!

Yeah! , money thrown away but yet very well spent if u know what i mean - boat load of fun is racing.
I hit 53 but still want to race another season.
Been on bikes of some kind since age 11 - had 1st proper street bike at age 15. We tore around the back roads at a time when u could do that kind of thing. ( my beautiful green triple 77 KH 400)
several street bikes in between. Not so much while raising my kids though.
One fateful day - I Took my FJR1300 sport tourer out to a Riders Choice track day in 2011 - silly thing to do, but I got hooked. Was offered a 99 GSXR 750 Srad that was in a box, built it as best I could, and got my race license in Spring 2012. I combined track days and racing that year. That thing low sided me and high sided me ( all the bike's fault) but I had a lot of fun and i learned a lot. My family doesn't get it, but once you experience the thrill of a race weekend, there's no turning back no matter what level you race at.

Yeah! , money thrown away but yet very well spent if u know what i mean - boat load of fun is racing.
I hit 53 but still want to race another season.
Been on bikes of some kind since age 11 - had 1st proper street bike at age 15. We tore around the back roads at a time when u could do that kind of thing. ( my beautiful green triple 77 KH 400)
several street bikes in between. Not so much while raising my kids though.
One fateful day - I Took my FJR1300 sport tourer out to a Riders Choice track day in 2011 - silly thing to do, but I got hooked. Was offered a 99 GSXR 750 Srad that was in a box, built it as best I could, and got my race license in Spring 2012. I combined track days and racing that year. That thing low sided me and high sided me ( all the bike's fault) but I had a lot of fun and i learned a lot. My family doesn't get it, but once you experience the thrill of a race weekend, there's no turning back no matter what level you race at.

well said... ;)

Back
Top Bottom