when did you start racing? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

when did you start racing?

Did racer 5 stage 1&2 in 2013 then did a couple trackdays. In early 2014 I finished racer5 stage 3 and bought a track SV 650, which I crashed hard on on my 2nd trackday with it ( late june). Had to get my shoulder pinned together.

Winter 2015, sold the SV and built a 300. Did my RACE licence in early 2016 and raced the 300 for a couple rounds at Shannonville. Would have been a full season if I didn't break my collarbone and 3 ribs at a trackday between rounds 2 & 3.

I'm 52 yrs old, outta shape and a slow guy in the lightweight class, but its hella fun. The camaraderie among the racers makes it something that is not there at trackdays.

Did fast phase 1 in 2006. Then no track days after that. Bought one of Dave's 250s, got my Race license same day as Steve (and a couple other lightweight riders) then started racing. Did a boat load of track days this past year to make up for the years before . Just turned 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canada Day weekend 2016 was the first race at 31 years wicked.
Zero track days prior.
Did Racer5 school in May 2015 on the cbr125.

edit: but same as JoeyB, did lots of extra track days this year after the first weekend racing.

Wow, these are not the responses i was expecting. Not a whole lot of track day time before you all decided to start racing it seems.

I have a question, how old are you guys?
Most racers I've met figure out they want to race pretty quickly. Haven't come across too many "trackday junkies" that became racers for any great length of time.

Started racing at 25, now 28. Never going pro. Can't afford that ****.

Would someone please explain what, exactly, "pro" means.

Thanks.

via Tapatalk

Would someone please explain what, exactly, "pro" means.

Thanks.

via Tapatalk

It's when you finish in the top 3 Amateur in either Sportbike or Superbike classes.
Top HAVE to move up to Pro and 4th and 5th place have the choice to move up to Pro or not.

Hope it helps...

@N3WMAN: Pro and Amateur cost the same... ;) Just a bit more in gas, as we do more laps. Besides that, I didn't see much change on the budget... Come to the dark side Buddy !!! lolll :p

Started riding when i was 25 on the street and did some track days then.
Gave up riding for 10 odd years
Started on the street again for one, track days for 1 then onto racing.
38 years old now

Started riding when i was 25 on the street and did some track days then.
Gave up riding for 10 odd years
Started on the street again for one, track days for 1 then onto racing.
38 years old now

You're 38?

**** man I thought you were in your late 20s.

It's when you finish in the top 3 Amateur in either Sportbike or Superbike classes.
Top HAVE to move up to Pro and 4th and 5th place have the choice to move up to Pro or not.

Hope it helps...

@N3WMAN: Pro and Amateur cost the same... ;) Just a bit more in gas, as we do more laps. Besides that, I didn't see much change on the budget... Come to the dark side Buddy !!! lolll :p

RACE rulebook is slightly different. Win 1 race and finish in the top 5 for Year end.....and the rules say you have no choice....black #s.

RACE rulebook is slightly different. Win 1 race and finish in the top 5 for Year end.....and the rules say you have no choice....black #s.

Ah ok... indeed slightly difference from CSBK.
So if you finish top 5 (2-3-4-5) and don't win a race, then what ? You can still stay AM ?

Ah ok... indeed slightly difference from CSBK.
So if you finish top 5 (2-3-4-5) and don't win a race, then what ? You can still stay AM ?

Yes at least the way that I read it. Their is an additional clause stating items like lap times, race results and being in the top 5 may also be considered but I don't read whether it is the Rider choice or RACE choice.

Hope it helps...

In SOAR it's win a race + finish top 5. I think only 4 rider earned black numbers for next season.

Last edited:
Clarification on Pro licenses. There are a couple ways this happens in SOAR. Its also written this way in RACE but doubt they enforce it.
#1 If you finish in top five for the season in a class thats divided (600,SBK,Open) AND (not or) have at least one race win that season (in the same class) its an automatic upgrade to Pro.
#2 If a rider petitions for Pro license and meets the criteria as determined by a group of referees

Now if you are bumped and feel its unfair or say you did it by fluke (tornado that day and everyone fell down but me....) then it is also looked at by referees and a decision can be made to hold you as an amateur.
I cant speak for other series but in SOAR we rarely allow a rider to remain Amateur if they meet the threshold. It has been successfully petitioned a couple times in the past but more than likely a rider that meets the criteria WILL be moving. This both bolsters the Pro grids as well as deters cherrypicking.

On a different note. Started racing in 87 turned Pro early nineties retired in 2008 (still do the occasional race here and there) Started SOAR in 2009. Just turned 52.

Back
Top Bottom