Ontario Budet Talks 2017 Lane Splitting | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario Budet Talks 2017 Lane Splitting

righttoplay

Hey all,

If you haven't yet seen it there's a website for project proposals where people can submit ideas and the province may allocate funds from the 2017 budget. I posted this for lane splitting on the site: https://talks.ontario.ca/project/motorcycle-lane-splitting-pilot-project#

Feel free to add comments, agree, disagree, whatever you want. They'll be reading these, but no guarantees of course.

There are also some pretty funny ones on there: https://talks.ontario.ca/project/1-stop-wasting-ontarians-time

Cheers

The part about "...in order to fight climate change through conservation and a low carbon economy" is kinda lame; it's clearly attempting to make hay with the "cause du jour."

One can simply point out the increase in safety and the lessened burden on the healthcare system (not to mention reducing pain and suffering of riders and their families and the impact on the insurance industry...) proven through studies like the one mentioned here:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey

Then again, an overtaxed healthcare system is also a "cause du jour" so...

auto complete, they didn't allow any other option.

The part about "...in order to fight climate change through conservation and a low carbon economy" is kinda lame; it's clearly attempting to make hay with the "cause du jour."

One can simply point out the increase in safety and the lessened burden on the healthcare system (not to mention reducing pain and suffering of riders and their families and the impact on the insurance industry...) proven through studies like the one mentioned here:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey

Then again, an overtaxed healthcare system is also a "cause du jour" so...

I thought that was the purpose for having all these city Councillors that represents us..oh right, another make work to do nothing project

I commented on the idea. I think a one-year pilot is a great idea. Too bad there are only three replies to the proposal. Considering it kept a thread on GTAM going for months, I'm surprised more of you guys aren't commenting on the Ontario site. With the latest studies on lane splitting I have considered asking my MPP to sponsor a private member's bill on the subject, to at least generate discussion. The UC study makes some pretty convincing arguments for the safety of motorcycles backed by hard data.

Saw your comment on there, thanks for posting something insightful. I suppose it's easy for people to be keyboard warriors on gtam but when it comes to action they can't be bothered to take a moment and comment.

I commented on the idea. I think a one-year pilot is a great idea. Too bad there are only three replies to the proposal. Considering it kept a thread on GTAM going for months, I'm surprised more of you guys aren't commenting on the Ontario site. With the latest studies on lane splitting I have considered asking my MPP to sponsor a private member's bill on the subject, to at least generate discussion. The UC study makes some pretty convincing arguments for the safety of motorcycles backed by hard data.

Lane splitting or lack thereof doesn't really affect me, nor do I think it's a safe thing (until all are educated and gracious enough to accept it). So I'm not gonna reply, plus the reply makes you "login". Not a "keyboard warrior" but am incredibly private with my info. Did you ask for an opinion, or my email address???

Don't be so judgy. Some care, some don't. I don't because it a) isn't an issue to me and b) couldn't imagine where this NEEDS to be law. Southern states and old air cooled bikes I get splitting/filtering. Open door for one, you'll get peeps bending the rules for the other here.

Lane splitting or lack thereof doesn't really affect me, nor do I think it's a safe thing (until all are educated and gracious enough to accept it). So I'm not gonna reply, plus the reply makes you "login". Not a "keyboard warrior" but am incredibly private with my info. Did you ask for an opinion, or my email address???

Don't be so judgy. Some care, some don't. I don't because it a) isn't an issue to me and b) couldn't imagine where this NEEDS to be law. Southern states and old air cooled bikes I get splitting/filtering. Open door for one, you'll get peeps bending the rules for the other here.

Personally, I would have filtering first and move to lane splitting later. Filtering would allow drivers to become accustomed to having bike ride past them between lanes at a stopped or slow moving pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Go to any intersection and watch drivers making left or right turns.

2) Note the % that get it correctly, left turn into left lane, right turn into right lane, while signalling.

3) This is already a law and few get it right.

You want to trust these moron zombies with your life?

If you want to lane split move to California, preferably Disneyland.

1) Go to any intersection and watch drivers making left or right turns.

2) Note the % that get it correctly, left turn into left lane, right turn into right lane, while signalling.

3) This is already a law and few get it right.

You want to trust these moron zombies with your life?

If you want to lane split move to California, preferably Disneyland.

What do you care what others choose to trust or not??? We all make choices every single day, you make some and I make some and I can guarantee you they are not the same. Your last sentence, is just flat out ignorance, I am not going to even comment on ...

Every time there is a thread about lane splitting and filtering, I can't help but think of this gif:

http://i.imgur.com/RpqkqLX.gifv

Which has come close to happening to me more than once, the only difference is I reacted fast enough to filter up along side the cars in front, and in one case the car I filtered beside was rear ended.

Video in case the gif doesn't work:

[video=youtube;0-uvBvHpXdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-uvBvHpXdw[/video]

This is a tricky one due to the type of mentality and drivers here.
Aren't we the jackpot for pulling insurance scams in Ontario?
Can our roads handle this?
How the hell do we educate drivers on it? I mean you go to do it, 20 ppl let you go by and 1 car thinks you are being a dick and blocks you off...causing a collision with you into another car...meaning you now have to pay for damages for the other car.

I am all for improved safety and getting bikes in safe spaces.

How about picking something easier e.g. allow bikes in ALL diamond/HOV lanes province wide?

That seems to be the easiest to deal with...no retraining for drivers just simply adding a sticker to the current signs.

actually the solution is quite simple

Lane split for 1 year trial (create some framework - ie, when traffic is not faster than 20km/h, red lights etc..)
Condition - install a camera forward and/or rear facing in case of a collision (with a 5% deductible upon inspection)

would love to be part of the trial and we are long overdue with these stupid law/policy makers that cannot read a damn graph and don't own a bike of any sort or understand the traffic rules

My brother had a nasty get off while filtering in the uk when a car merged into him, this in a country with arguably better drivers than here and a history of lane splitting and filtering and traffic that's used to bikes doing that too. I still think there needs to be some serious action about drivers education here before lane splitting or filtering is even considered.

My brother had a nasty get off while filtering in the uk when a car merged into him, this in a country with arguably better drivers than here and a history of lane splitting and filtering and traffic that's used to bikes doing that too. I still think there needs to be some serious action about drivers education here before lane splitting or filtering is even considered.

That will never happen here. Insurance company built in gift horse to keep raising rates and a government that keeps letting them...hand and glove.
In the GTA, we are too culturally diverse to get everyone on the same page. The current driving test seems easy enough that the average 12 year old kid can pass it.
The 11 year old kid (last week) demonstrated he can watch a video game, steel the family minivan, and drive it just fine his first time out on the HIGHWAY.

So LA is less diverse with easier traffic??? Sorry, not buying that part of the argument.

They always have millions of reasons why not to do things here (except for banning people from doing things or limiting speed), trying to save us all. My guess would be, most riders would start easy, splitting at stand still or very slow traffic .... And go from there. Drivers would get used to it. Two years in nobody would talk about it.

Nope, I said it was acceptable there as it always has been and mentioned the historical reasons. We can't even get people to obey stop signs here, no way I'll support this with the competency of drivers (and riders) on the road nowadays.

Believe it or not, but even in LA had to start at some point, and I am sure there some people were reacting the same way in the beginning. Like with everything new. The good news for you is that you don't have to lane split, if you don't want to. It really does not effect you if you choose so.

And it didn't start to relieve congestion or a safety standpoint. It was to keep bikes from overheating AFAIK.

No news really, as it's still illegal and I doubt it'll be passed.

Back
Top Bottom