March Break | GTAMotorcycle.com

March Break

jeff96

Years ago I rode down to North Carolina and the Outer Banks islands during the March break. I was thinking of trying that again but maybe go a little further south so I can thaw out my fingers. Any suggestions for a destination? I've been to Myrtle Beach at that time of year and it's warm enough for me. I've thought of going to Daytona bike week, but I don't know if I'd fit in there on a small sport bike. I plan on taking a couple of days to get there, camp wherever and chill out for a few days before heading back home.

I've been to Key West several times - it's one of my favourite places. However, there are a couple of things you should know.

1. It's not cheap. During offseason a hotel room the size of a closet goes for ~250 USD a night, and march break is a busy time, so it'll be way more. A more economical option is to look for a B&B or AirBnB for a room, but still expect well north of $150 a night. And book well in advance.
2. There is, as far as I know, only one camp site on the island. Last I checked a tent site went for $60 a night, and because the island is made of coral, putting stakes down can be tough. A freestanding tent works, or there are some pegs that work with beanbags. However, the main drag (Duval) is only a short bus ride away.
3. If you have a small bike you can find places to park it on the island, but you'll have a tough time with larger bikes. Best to leave the bike and bus/walk it - it's a very, very walkable island because it's so small.
4. A cheaper option is to go to one of the smaller keys - Largo for example. Not much to do on some of them, but you can ride into Key West if you really want. You just can't party, if that's your thing. I'm not sure if taxis run between keys.
5. Key West is an amazing place, but it honestly sucks as a motorcycling destination. The highway that runs from the mainland looks cool, but the reality is that it's a couple of hours of straight line with barriers so high that you can't even really see the ocean. The speed limit is 30 mph, everyone is doing 20 and there's literally no possible way to pass. Best to pull off somewhere with a view and chill for a bit.

I'm not saying don't do it - but it's 2 days of pretty hard work to get there on a motorcycle at that time of year. Take enough time while you're there to make it worth it.

1. It's not cheap. During offseason a hotel room the size of a closet goes for ~250 USD a night, and march break is a busy time, so it'll be way more. A more economical option is to look for a B&B or AirBnB for a room, but still expect well north of $150 a night. And book well in advance.

We were in Key West a few years ago, not sure I agree that off season prices are that horrible, I think we got our room at the Best Western Hibiscus at a decent rate, maybe $100 a night? Can’t quite recall, but no way it was $200+ Nice place, and clean. It was also a couple blocks off Duval.
I know if higher seasons prices will be a fair bit loftier.
Key West is a neat little place, but I’m not sure its good for more than a couple days? Reminds me of Grand bend or Wasaga on steroids. Lots of eclectic shops and T shirt places

Best Western Hibiscus key west website says $243 USD night for march break with my CAA discount. Probably a better rate through expedia but key west is wacky at March break

$243 a night is way more than I was thinking. In fact I was thinking of just going to a roadside rest station or vacant lot and leaving early enough in the morning to avoid questions such as ' don't you know you can't camp here? ' I used to do this all the time and I'm really too old to be doing the vagrancy thing but I don't see why it still wouldn't work in less high demand areas. That's why I was thinking more South Carolina or Georgia.

Winter started early this year and that generally means it will last longer than normal (based on previous experience).
Based on this pattern I would expect snow and ice on the roads until mid April.
FTR I'm hoping I'm wrong.

@statsman yes, that had occurred to me as well. I do have a trailer that I can put the bike on for part of the drive. The only issue there is knowing where I can park the car and trailer without them getting towed

@statsman yes, that had occurred to me as well. I do have a trailer that I can put the bike on for part of the drive. The only issue there is knowing where I can park the car and trailer without them getting towed
When you arrive, find a local self store. They usually don't charge much to leave a truck and trailer on site for a week or two. Plus you now have security for your tow rig.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

When you arrive, find a local self store. They usually don't charge much to leave a truck and trailer on site for a week or two. Plus you now have security for your tow rig.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

+1, that is what I do for my trips. Except that I do not wait until I arrive to my destination to find a place, but rather research on the internet before I go, checking the available reviews and calling the potential place to book a spot. Usually it costs around USD30-USD40, money well worth my peace of mind.

A few years back a few of my friends were all fired up to go to Daytona Bike Week. They loaded their bikes into the trailer and headed south. After a few trips up and down the main strip at walking pace, seeing some of the craziness and hijinks and buying a t-shirt, they found they were bored after 2 days. The following year they loaded their bikes up into the trailer, headed south and stopped about 100 miles short of Daytona and spent the week taking scenic rides around the northern part of Florida and said it was fantastic. Not the most exciting roads, but lots of scenery and warm breezes.

Our Cdn. dollar is so weak these days I've decided to cut down on my recreational travel into the US until the exchange rate improves...

Our Cdn. dollar is so weak these days I've decided to cut down on my recreational travel into the US until the exchange rate improves...

The way oil prices are headed now, CAD will be coming up soon

Take a look at Clayton Ga - north east section just across the border into GA. head west to Chattahoochee National Forest area -Also Clayton south to Toccoa Falls toward Gainsville area/ Is tons of great riding in those areas. Roads in those area's will keep you busy for more then a few days. (weather should be ok by march but just check it ) if you need more info on those areas check on ADVRider site

Back
Top Bottom