Suspension - Ohlins | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suspension - Ohlins

Livewir3

I don't know much about suspensions, however, i am looking to upgrade the stock one. The bike is a 2008 CBR 1000rr with 60k on it. Well maintained.

I ride mostly street with about 2 - 3 track days per year.

Is it worth it for my application?

Should i just do the fronts with the cartridge kit?

I am looking at Ohlins. This is what i have been looking at:

Rear:

[h=4]Ohlins TTX-GP Shock (this is probably overkill)[/h]
[h=1]OhlinsTTX R/T Shock[/h]
Front:

[h=1]Ohlins Honda CBR1000RR 08-11 NIX 30mm Fork Cartridge Kit w/Springs[/h]
Thanks again for the input.

:confused:

That will be pretty expensive on a 9yr old bike, but it will be way better than what your using. I'd probably talk to one of the race shops, Pro6, Riders choice, John Sharrard ect. for an opinion on how to make it better before spending most of the value of the bike on Ohlins.

I would not do it. Learn from my mistake.

I kept modifying my street bike to the point where it became a track bike. I ended up selling it to a friend for the same amount I spent on performance mods ($4000). You can actually get a decent track bike from $4000 to $7500 with all of the mods you're looking for done. In the end, it was a huge expense I did not have to spend in an already very expensive sport. Plus, if you're tracking your street bike, you will crash it. If you don't crash it, you're going too slow (mistakes happen when you're trying to push your comfort zone, whether it's getting on the gas earlier, late braking, chasing a friend, etc.). Street fairings are very ****ing expensive and converting any of the modern SS bikes to a track bike is a 2-6 hour job depending on how comfortable you are. Believe me it becomes a huge pain in the *** when you're doing it for the 10th time because you only have one bike.

On top of this, SS bikes actually have decent suspension. From what I've learned, stock forks are sprung for a rider between 175lb to 200lb. I weigh 160lbs. I got a random guy at Shannonville (apparently known for helping others with suspension) to set mine up. Difference was night and day. At Racer5's trackday, I made another adjustment but the mechanic told me they can't do anymore unless I change the springs. Despite that, I'm confident I still have one or two seasons of learning before I "out ride" the stock suspension.

When you need new suspension work you'll know because you'll either be sliding all over the place, unable to correct it with mechanical settings (tire pressure or suspension) or technique (leaning off more, gas smoother, etc.), or feel a ridiculous amount of understeer. If you're already at the point, I apologise for assuming. Most of the more experienced track day riders have made my mistake so I figured you might be working to that point =)

Last edited:
Great responses.

Thank You 油井緋色 and Crankcall

I will hold off and discuss with my shop first. I usually get the stock suspension setup on all my bikes, but have not done this on the CBR. I think i will start there before going all out.

Thanks again.

Choice in upgrading the suspension is personal. Some people can easily spend the money with their income. Others not. The major considerations are need/want, price/performance and miscellaneous.

Need/Want
IMO, I don't find changing the suspension when ridden on the street to be worth any performance upgrade. One should never be riding fast enough on the street for it to make a difference. But I do like having a streetbike with nice parts, so if one has enough money by all means upgrade the suspension on a street bike. I did it all the way with Ohlins.

Many people don't need to upgrade suspension on the track either. They aren't fast enough to need it. But it is a nice have.... better suspension gives a broader performance envelope and can be there if you need it at some point because of circumstance. If you are fast enough it isn't even a question either.

It's an older bike so the suspension could use an upgrade to help make it better for the track. But do you ride enough track and fast enough for it to matter? If it were a newer bike there may be less need; many newer bikes have better suspension that for many only need minor fork changes.

Looking at forks...
Price/Performance
Changing the OEM front fork internals is a fine upgrade without being as expensive. From value products such as race tech and the basic Ohlins revalve and respring to more expensive kits such as traxxion ak gas and full Ohlins cartridge kits.

Full Ohlins R&T forks are a great full fork option (unless you want to go with some of their >$10k superbike fork options). I read that 2012 MY Ohlins R&T forks will bolt up (search and read up) to your bike.

All these options will do the job for you and most riders even on the track. Get to know the choices, their prices and their miscellaneous aspects.

Miscellaneous
One thing I consider in my purchase is eventual changes and selling them. Full Ohlins forks are better and easier for selling off later down the line as it's easier to swap out Ohlins forks for the stock again (don't sell them) and get max resale value. As long as you didn't damage them in a crash. Cartridge kits mean more work in this regard. Also, the higher end options tend to hold their value better than the lower end versions.

Rear shock
It's pretty much the same thing for the shock. From redoing the stock shock with much of the same suppliers to various aftermarket shocks to the generally top rated Ohlins. I'd say the TTX is overkill unless you want the most expensive version. A regular Ohlins for example is great and does just fine while saving some money.

Last edited:
I have an Elka for a GSX-R 600 (2012/13) if it will fit, I will sell it for half price. It has maybe 50 track laps on it.

If you're already considering it, it means you can afford it. If you can afford it, do it because you will notice the difference and it's absolutely worth it.

When it comes to selling the bike, just sell the aftermarket parts separately.

I recouped 90% of the money I spent on parts by parting everything out.

I have an '08 1krr that does track only duty with 75k on the clock. It started as a street bike and went to track only a few years ago. I use a k-tech 25mm front cartridge with a racetech gs-3 rear. The stock rear shocks on these were not really suitable for sustained track use, beyond the beginner level. The rear is a must, but the front ok until you reach a pretty good pace. The racetech rear is really a copy of the ohlins design. For the front most use either k-tech, traxxion dynamics or ohlins. Unless you are at top level racing, its a matter of preference.

IMO, the k-tech is very good, quite a bit better than stock, very adjustable. It takes a bit to get it just right, but I'm quite happy with it. Not cheap, and neither is a new set of ohlins.

With the '17 coming up, there are a lot of people unloading full cart. kits already setup. Have a look in the 1000rr.net classifieds. There are ohlins cart. forks for around the $500 USD mark. That really is a bargin and would be my recommended route. The rear shocks still hold quite a bit of value and are less of a deal, but if you have time, there are deals to be had.

Just be sure to get the right spring rate, without it, a cartridge kit will be of limited help.

I don't know much about suspensions, however, i am looking to upgrade the stock one. The bike is a 2008 CBR 1000rr with 60k on it. Well maintained.

I ride mostly street with about 2 - 3 track days per year.

Is it worth it for my application?

Should i just do the fronts with the cartridge kit?

I am looking at Ohlins. This is what i have been looking at:

Rear:

Ohlins TTX-GP Shock (this is probably overkill)

OhlinsTTX R/T Shock

Front:

Ohlins Honda CBR1000RR 08-11 NIX 30mm Fork Cartridge Kit w/Springs

Thanks again for the input.

:confused:

Look for a used shock and revalve/spring your forks. That's the most economical and logical route.

some ppl add stickers for more hp
I wonder if the same concept applies for stiction
wait for inreb to inspectigate the matter

In relative terms if you're looking for an improvement in the ride and handling on a 9 year old bike with 60k km you can just service and/or rebuild the OEM components. Suspension components degrade over time and the ride you are now experiencing now is not the same as when it was new. At 60k the shock damping is gone and the fork springs likely need to be replaced + some other internal parts as well. You can go OEM or look at the the Racetech site for relatively low cost spring upgrades. There are local shops that can rebuild OEM shocks using OEM springs or an upgraded one.

Something to consider also is required service intervals. Some shocks go bad fast and require rebuild with only 20hrs use so not a good street option. Talk to suspension shops before you make a purchase.

Back
Top Bottom