Lost my only key to my Suzuki motorcycle, what the heck do I do? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lost my only key to my Suzuki motorcycle, what the heck do I do?

I've gotten keys cut for my 2010 Vstrom.
Guy only is available on Saturday morning on the way up Winston Churchill where it crosses HWY 7

Go west to where the pavement gets wider so there is parking on the south side.
You will see a Locksmith truck in the driveway on the south side.....go to the house and knock on the door - he specializes in motorcycles and I got two spare keys for $5 each. He even took them to the bike and made sure they worked. Only on Saturday morning.

A good locksmith shop can cut motorcycle keys. My wife and I rode to the one in downtown Oshawa this summer and had 2 spare keys cut, one for her Yamaha and one for my Honda - they had blanks for both in stock. I keep a spare key for her bike on my ring, and vice versa - if either of us ever lose our keys on the road somewhere we can still continue on without any problem.

Any key I've ever needed for my bikes I could get from the dealer.
They can search the VIN on their database and make a key for the bike.

I was denied cutting a new key from scratch (nothing to copy) by each Suzuki dealer within 3 hours of me and every locksmith I called too.

Guy only is available on Saturday morning on the way up Winston Churchill where it crosses HWY 7

You will see a Locksmith truck in the driveway on the south side.....go to the house and knock on the door - he specializes in motorcycles and I got two spare keys for $5 each. He even took them to the bike and made sure they worked. Only on Saturday morning.

His name wouldnt happen to be dave would it?

Anyone ever go to a dealer for a new key? (Provided you have old and want a new copy?)

How much do they charge?(I went to a dealer, they gave me the number of a guy they always use)

Had a spare key cut for my little 125 when I first got my bike, was roughly $20 (or less) at Markham Outdoor Power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall his name - someone on here put me on to him. Short hours are a pain.

Here you go

$5 a key - guy knows what he is doing and makes sure it fits. ONLY between 10 and noon on Saturday and right on the way to the Forks. :D

Got the Burgman and the Vstrom done for $10 cash.
Suggest you call ahead with the bike you have.
Not obvious - just look for the big white van in the driveway....that's his operation.
Rest of the week he is on the road.

P.O.Box 265
Norval, ON
L0P 1K0
494 Guelph St
Norval, ON L0P 1K0
Tel: (905) 965-0927 Tel: ( 888 ) 853-5625Email: info@keyworx.biz

Given the run around with some of the others...it's nice to have this guy available.....and at the correct price.

Last edited:
I don't recall his name - someone on here put me on to him. Short hours are a pain.

Here you go

$5 a key - guy knows what he is doing and makes sure it fits. ONLY between 10 and noon on Saturday and right on the way to the Forks. :D

Got the Burgman and the Vstrom done for $10 cash.
Suggest you call ahead with the bike you have.
Not obvious - just look for the big white van in the driveway....that's his operation.
Rest of the week he is on the road.

P.O.Box 265
Norval, ON
L0P 1K0
494 Guelph St
Norval, ON L0P 1K0
Tel: (905) 965-0927 Tel: ( 888 ) 853-5625Email: info@keyworx.biz

Given the run around with some of the others...it's nice to have this guy available.....and at the correct price.

Yep, brampton powersports gave me his info, he lives like 10 mins from my place

Apparently he does a lot of work for dealerships etc

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot

..........in downtown Oshawa this summer and.............

Oshawa has a downtown?? OMG, who knew, who cares about this key thing.

bigly stuff no doubt

Durham Region's Largest Shopping Centre

Last edited:

You didn't bring any keys and got it done for $5? Or are you suggesting this for people who just want copies?

I was denied cutting a new key from scratch (nothing to copy) by each Suzuki dealer within 3 hours of me and every locksmith I called too.

Maybe call Suzuki Canada directly and ask them, this might be something that the dealerships don't even know they can/should be doing (?), so long as one can prove ownership.

When you finally get the transponder key, tape it inside your speedometer or somewhere close to the ignition where it can't be seen. Then get a bunch of cheapies without the transponder cut at Canadian Tire.

I have never heard of a dealer denying your ability to have a key cut. As long as you have the ownership in your name you should be just fine. As a matter of fact I went to Brampton Powersports with my ownership and walked away with the key in 2 days

I got 2 Kawasaki blanks on ebay and had them cut at Home Hardware in Georgetown. Old school key copier, nice older gent did the job. Had me check the 1st key before cutting the 2nd. $5/key, well worth it. Canadian Tire just up the street couldn't do the job with their latest key machine.

Canadian Tire just up the street couldn't do the job with their latest key machine.

A lot of places have switched to the newer style cartridge based system where they can't do anything outside the box anymore. All our local Canadian Tires & Walmarts alike now can't cut any keys they don't have a cartridge for.

That's why I've pretty much given up on them and just go to the locksmith shop now instead. Happier giving my money to a small business as well, bonus.

I have two keys, an ignition, and a tank cap from my 2007 gixer 600 if it will work for you.

A lot of places have switched to the newer style cartridge based system where they can't do anything outside the box anymore. All our local Canadian Tires & Walmarts alike now can't cut any keys they don't have a cartridge for.

Do they have a bench grinder with a wire wheel brush or deburring wheel still?

Do they have a bench grinder with a wire wheel brush or deburring wheel still?

Yeah, it's just a slot now though with what sounds like a wire brush wheel inside. I think the whole idea behind the cartridge based system is that it's basically foolproof - no open moving parts, no possible way to screw up a cut, and no possible way to hurt ones self.

Say what you will, but I love the keyless ignition on my Harley. I just carry a spare battery which I can get at any store.
Get on and start 'er up!

Back
Top Bottom