Crashed my car today,im charged, temp sticker, what do I do? first accident | GTAMotorcycle.com

Crashed my car today,im charged, temp sticker, what do I do? first accident

theshnizzle

Site Supporter
I bought my car yesterday,went to the license office and received my temp sticker using my Primmum policy number. I hadn't contacted primmum yet, I was going to do that today as I had a appointment to have my mechanic check over the car to tell me what it may need for safety. If it was going to be a fair bit, I was going to park the car for the winter and it would be a spring,summer project.

I hit a transport truck turning left through a intersection, I think I was on a yellow, I'm not sure, I can't PROVE anything one way or another. There were 2 witnesses who both gave statements to the police. I was driving straight though the intersection. I have accident forgiveness with primmum which I have never used, this is my first accident ever.

I am not making a a claim on the car,it's probably a write off, I paid 1700 for it yesterday. The other driver was driving a transport for his company, the only damage was a bent metal support holding the mudflap behind the front wheels of the trailer. I am going to assume his company will make a claim.

If I don't inform my insurance company and then they are contacted by his company, am I done for?

I recall that when you get a temp sticker,your vehicle is automatically covered by your policy for 10 days or in that range. I don't know that the best course of action is to minimize the fallout to me BUT I DO have accident forgiveness, how does that work exactly? I haven't contacted my insurance yet.

I am not going to fight the ticket, its fail to stop at a red light i believe.

Thoughts and opinions please.

So if I'm reading things right you didn't actually register the vehicle with your insurance company? What policy are you talking about, your motorcycle policy?

If you didn't call then and give them the VIN and confirm coverage...you were effectively driving without insurance. If you gave the MTO your motorcycle insurance policy number instead you are also in the material misrepresentation danger zone.

There WILL be a claim from the truck operator- any collision involving a commercial motor vehicle and a police report will result in the commercial operator following through because of CVOR rules and such... The truck will probably go into the companies shop to check for any other concealed damage that could risk equipment failure down the road and repair the damage that you caused, so it's assured they'll put that through insurance as the accident needs to be reported regardless on their end.

Last edited:
I gave the MTO my car policy number.

Your existing car...or this new car?

Basically...do you have a slip of paper with this vehicles VIN on it?

Negative. not this car but my other cars. It has been a very long time since I bought a temp sticker.

Then you were driving it uninsured. The temp sticker means nothing - you are required by law to have valid insurance in place in order to obtain one...and obviously the MTO person didn't actually look all that close or make sure the VIN number on the paperwork you presented matched the car you were buying the temp for. Regardless, that's your bad in the end.

So, driving without insurance opens up a whole can of worms when it comes to the insurance claim that the commercial carrier is going to put through. Did the police not ask you for your insurance paperwork at the scene of the accident? If you presented (and they recorded) an insurance slip that didn't even belong to the car (presuming they didn't even check it) that you were involved in, that's possibly another can of worms there as well.

If this was me I'd be in touch with a lawyer.

If it's just a broken mud flap holder the transport company might not make a claim, given they carry high deductibles. It's also less hassle for them to just get their mech to change the holder and get the truck back on the road. I would contact the safety department at the transport company and ask them if they're making a claim. If not, scrap the car and pay the fine. If they are making a claim get in contact with the insurance company right away.

Check with your ins. co. You may be covered under your policy as you say for 10 days. Ask them without commenting on the accident. Just ask them how you are covered when purchasing a new car and how it works with accident forgiveness, etc. You may luck out and the truck co. won't make a claim. Though someone has to pay for the parts and labour for their fix. Would a company accept cash from an individual?

As far as I know temp stickers mean jack for insurance. By the sounds of it you were driving around with no insurance, which is like a $5k fine minimum.

Still, I'd go with what was said above, call your insurance company and probably a lawyer.

You are still covered by your current insurance policy. You can legally drive the new car, you have a 10 or 15 (I forget) day grace period to add the new car.

Refer to section 2.2.1 of the Ontario Automobile Policy (OAP 1) regarding Newly Acquired Automobiles.

"Newly Acquired Automobiles
A newly acquired automobile is an automobile or trailer that you acquire as owner and that is not covered under any other policy. It can be either a replacement or an additional automobile. The replacement automobile will have the same coverage as the described automobile it replaces. We will cover an additional automobile as long as:
 we insure all automobiles you own, and
 any claim you make for the additional automobile is made against a coverage we
provide for all your other automobiles.
Your newly acquired automobile(s) will be insured as long as you inform us within 14
days from the time of delivery and pay any additional premium required.
We may inspect the newly acquired vehicle and its equipment at any reasonable time.
Special Condition: Coverage is not extended to a newly acquired automobile if you are in the business of selling automobiles."

Your existing insurance will extend to the new car if you need it to. You had 14 days to notify them.
I was shopping for insurance for a new bike at the beginning of summer. One of the agents suggested I could use my existing policy this way to get coverage when I went to test ride / bring home the bike.

I read that I have up to 7 days to report the collusion. Perhaps I will call the company and ask what their policy is. Do the cops contact my insurance company? I think not but I'm not sure.

It is very likely that the trucking company won't report the accident to their insurance. I was hit in a company truck, my boss told me it's cheaper to just pay to fix the damage than to put in a claim.

You are still covered by your current insurance policy. You can legally drive the new car, you have a 10 or 15 (I forget) day grace period to add the new car.

Pretty sure that's not the case - you don't automatically get coverage for a car that you don't notify them about or pay the premium for - that's detailed in that section of the OAP.

Sure, as with any new vehicle purchase one can get insurance now but IMHO the insurance company isn't going to backdate coverage, especially if you tell them you were already involved in an accident in said vehicle before they even covered it.

According to what our resident insurance expert posted up,thank you for weighing in, perhaps I'm not quite proper f**cked. I will have to wait until Monday to try and find out any info from the trucking company but to have them repair the bent metal mud flap holder and get the truck back on the road seems to make sense.

MTO didn't question that my insurance slip didn't have that particular car written on my pink slip and neither did the cop, wouldn't I also have been charged with driving without insurance?

"Newly Acquired Automobiles
A newly acquired automobile is an automobile or trailer that you acquire as owner and that is not covered under any other policy. It can be either a replacement or an additional automobile. The replacement automobile will have the same coverage as the described automobile it replaces. We will cover an additional automobile as long as:
 we insure all automobiles you own, and
 any claim you make for the additional automobile is made against a coverage we
provide for all your other automobiles.
Your newly acquired automobile(s) will be insured as long as you inform us within 14
days from the time of delivery and pay any additional premium required.
We may inspect the newly acquired vehicle and its equipment at any reasonable time.
Special Condition: Coverage is not extended to a newly acquired automobile if you are in the business of selling automobiles."

Your existing insurance will extend to the new car if you need it to. You had 14 days to notify them.
I was shopping for insurance for a new bike at the beginning of summer. One of the agents suggested I could use my existing policy this way to get coverage when I went to test ride / bring home the bike.

The way I read this, if you HAD notified them before the accident, then yes you might have had coverage extended to the vehicle. Since you didn't, then you have no recourse to claim under the above, given you would be notifying them after you essentially have a write-off.

Arguably your only potentially safe way out of this one (hopefully to never do it again), might be to contact the trucking company, and talk to them. See what they say about the minor damage, and offer to pay whatever they are asking to repair it, if it that minorly damaged.

Op,

You are on the up and up.

By the title, it says you are charged? With something I presume.

Contact your broker/insurance company from additional advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is correct, as long as you notify the insurer within 14 days.

It is part of your policy that most insurers/brokers/agents do not talk about, but it is in your contact between you and the insurance company.

Keep in mind, if you only have one vehicle (say an older 15 year vehicle) that has liability coverage on it, and you purchase a 2013 vehicle for cash, but do not advise the insurer of it until 5 days after you bought it, if you are involved in a claim, that 2013 vehicle will have the same coverage's (liability only) that your older 15 year vehicle had, and would not be covered for collision/comprehensive/specified perils.

Back
Top Bottom