Where to buy bulk kerosene | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to buy bulk kerosene

Hydro told me to use about 15 cents per Kilowatt hour as a cost estimate.

One of those 240 volt electric heaters is about 5 kilowatts so 5 X .15 = $0.75 per hour.

All day, 24 hours X 0.75 = $18.00

All month, 30 days X 18.00 = $540.00

Thank you and Merry Christmas from

Kathleen Wynne, the Ontario Solar Farm Industry and The Ontario Wind Farm Industry

My one car garage is a typical suburbia under the bedroom job so only two exposed walls and there is heat gain from the house.

I strapped the outside walls with 2 X 2's and insulated, covering with cheap paneling. The roll up door is insulated.

The garage never freezes and is actually quite workable most of the time. When something chemical needs to cure I turn on the 240 volt money crematorium.
That can't be right....can it??

Feel free to check the math but as PP notes, in an insulated structure such as mine the heater would cycle off much of the time. Mine actually gets too hot.

A one watt pilot light: 0.001 Kw X .15 = $0.00015 per hour X 24 hours = $0.0036 per day x 365 = $1.31 per year. Think about all the pilot lights, electric clocks on microwaves, monitors, alarm clocks, cell phone chargers, battery chargers for tools, illuminated light switches, the porch light. It's referred to as parasitic draw.

You can save energy dollars by unplugging all the time but then you run the risk of wearing out or breaking the receptacles. It'll likely cost around $100 to have an electrician change one and about the same if you do it yourself because, unlike an electrical contractor, you have to apply for an inspection permit. Heads they Wynne, tails you lose and gawd how the money rolls in.

If it bugs you, use one switched power bar for all your chargers.

Math is right, and using $.15 per kilowatt hour is just an average – let's not forget we are all on time of use in the province now, so if the heater runs more during peak times that number can actually be higher, however if you were careful to ensure it only ran during off-peak times it could very possibly be lower.

Most people would be very surprised to see how many watts their house is still using even when they think everything is turned off – parasitic draw as mentioned is very real. Things like cable TV boxes, DVD players, cell phone chargers, computers in sleep mode – each one could easily draw 10 or 15 W each even when they are "turned off". Add them all together and you can easily have 200-300 W of parasitic draw.

I have a whole home wattage meter (Current Cost ENVI) installed that shows me my total house energy consumption second by second – it is very enlightening. I am actually thinking of upgrading to the new "Sense" system this winter, but the price is still pretty steep...but it's very geeky with its ability to detect every individual draw in your home and break it down vs a bulk reading, and it's also well connected - everything is available online second by second with smartphone alerts if you want, so I could be at work and know that my wife left her curling iron on for example, or that my garage doors are opening unexpectedly. The potential is endless for energy savings and security alike.

If I do upgrade I'll be selling the ENVI for anyone interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-US-Plug...821605?hash=item1c5565d625:g:UYkAAOSwLVZVi3w4

Electricity Usage Monitor
$12
D10981.jpg

Anyone know where in Hamilton area you can buy kerosene in bulk by the litre. I heat my garage in the winter when I want to work on my bikes with a kerosene space heater but the only place that seems to carry it is Home Harware in 20 litre cans and it is very expensive.

When in the US I see that gas stations have a dedicated pump just for kerosene but have not seen this anywhere in Ontario.

Am i the only one who thinks the changing of temperature like that is probably not good for the bike/moisture?

If your garage is heated it stays heated all the time, if not, its cold the entire time but changing the ambiance back and forth like that might not be good? Especially if you have a cover that probably traps

Am i the only one who thinks the changing of temperature like that is probably not good for the bike/moisture?

If your garage is heated it stays heated all the time, if not, its cold the entire time but changing the ambiance back and forth like that might not be good? Especially if you have a cover that probably traps

Probably not. Cycling thru the dew point daily is bound to leave a mark. Never mind that products of combustion includes moisture.

I have had no issues with using a kerosene heater in my garage, been using it since 2008 keeps me warm while working on my bikes or sleds, and cost me $20 on kijiji, CDN tire sells 20L kerosene for $28.

20161214_201224.jpg

Electric heat is brutally expensive, the math seems fine if not low for a decent heater.

I know people with electric heat paying $1000 a month no problem

If I had electric heat I'd just buy a sleeping bag and freeze

Electric heat is brutally expensive, the math seems fine if not low for a decent heater.

I know people with electric heat paying $1000 a month no problem

If I had electric heat I'd just buy a sleeping bag and freeze

Dude up the street. Hoarder. Oil furnace broke. Service people will not come into house. Also lots of mould but that's a story for another day. Running multiple electric heaters last winter. Barely keeps the house at 55F on a good day. Electrical usage was so high that he got visit from police under pretence of whatever. He explained the situation and allowed police to look in front door but no further. Yup, hoarder, no grow-op here.

Is there a parasitic draw of a microwave clock that is not turned on?

If the clock is lit up it's drawing power. Even if not it could be drawing power depending on other circuit factors. Transformers are extremely efficient but not 100% and if there is a transformer in the circuit there will be heat.

If you want to be sure you have to unplug every unused appliance when it's not being used. The dollar or two per year per appliance savings would be offset by the increased frequency of replacing worn plugs and receptacles.

Infrared cameras show all of these little hot spots if you care to invest but the payback period sucks.

If the clock is lit up it's drawing power. Even if not it could be drawing power depending on other circuit factors.

One of the devices Matthew posted above is a good investment. I have the Belkin version thereof and it's a simple and handy way of getting a better grasp on not only how much power things use while in use, but also the parasitic draw.

A huge AV setup for example with a flatscreen TV, DVD player, Satellite or Cable box, stereo receiver etc etc etc can easily draw 20-50 watts just sitting with everything "off".

It can be an eye opening experience. Along with my whole home monitor I've been able to get a much better grasp on what exactly is consuming hydro and adjust accordingly. Even then there's only so much that one can realistically cut out or regularly unplug in an effort to save hydro - our house still floats between 350 to 400 watts even when everything is seemingly off....its just parasitic draw and all the stuff that must stay on such as the modem, router, UPS, my webserver, kids aquariums, etc. It all adds up.

I guess this topic went off the rails. I was simply trying to find kerosene in bulk for a reasonable price. In the US gas stations sell kerosene at a pump like gas so you can fill a blue gas can for kerosene at a reasonable price.

The price for a jug of kerosene at retail stores is a huge ripoff. Basically what I see here is nowhere in southern Ontario can you buy it other than at retail stores for around $2.50 a litre

There were several responses that provided bulk pump options like you were looking for. The conversation just drifted afterwards.

I guess this topic went off the rails. I was simply trying to find kerosene in bulk for a reasonable price. In the US gas stations sell kerosene at a pump like gas so you can fill a blue gas can for kerosene at a reasonable price.

The price for a jug of kerosene at retail stores is a huge ripoff. Basically what I see here is nowhere in southern Ontario can you buy it other than at retail stores for around $2.50 a litre

Quote for truth. I use it for degreasing. I don't think kerosene is liquid engineering.

One of the devices Matthew posted above is a good investment. I have the Belkin version thereof and it's a simple and handy way of getting a better grasp on not only how much power things use while in use, but also the parasitic draw.

A huge AV setup for example with a flatscreen TV, DVD player, Satellite or Cable box, stereo receiver etc etc etc can easily draw 20-50 watts just sitting with everything "off".

It can be an eye opening experience. Along with my whole home monitor I've been able to get a much better grasp on what exactly is consuming hydro and adjust accordingly. Even then there's only so much that one can realistically cut out or regularly unplug in an effort to save hydro - our house still floats between 350 to 400 watts even when everything is seemingly off....its just parasitic draw and all the stuff that must stay on such as the modem, router, UPS, my webserver, kids aquariums, etc. It all adds up.

I never thought of keeping the kids in an aquarium. Good idea.

I never thought of keeping the kids in an aquarium. Good idea.

Much smaller space to heat vs the whole house. Saving energy.

Back
Top Bottom