Where to buy bulk kerosene | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to buy bulk kerosene

taximan62

Site Supporter
Anyone know where in Hamilton area you can buy kerosene in bulk by the litre. I heat my garage in the winter when I want to work on my bikes with a kerosene space heater but the only place that seems to carry it is Home Harware in 20 litre cans and it is very expensive.

When in the US I see that gas stations have a dedicated pump just for kerosene but have not seen this anywhere in Ontario.

Maybe a local airport can sell you some Jet A by the litre...

ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel, what you get out of any pump) will work fine. Some report a little bit of smell (vs Kerosene) depending on the brand of heater, but if you get it burning as clean/effecient as possible most report it's not a big deal for workshop use..but you wouldn't want to do it in your house.

JetA is better (and very high BTU) but is expensive - $1.40/L last I saw at Oshawa Airport. Access is apt to be difficult, I know for example at CYOO they won't sell to anyone off the street as ramp access is very restricted. Smaller airports are apt to be easier to talk someone into selling you fuel at, but most small/country airports don't have JetA, only 100LL.

The Lambert Oil station in Whitby used to have a separate kerosene pump but it's been a long time since I went past to see if it's still there. Looks like they have a Toronto location as well, might be worth a call.

I used to get mine at Canadian tire. Got myself a radiant heater now. You can find them on sale every now and then, no more fuel, no more noise or smell and works very well and cheap to run.

canadian tire .. camping section.

Thats how i run my heater as well. A 4 litre jug will run mine for a day or 2 easily.

Wouldn't 20L cans be cheaper than 4L?

Is lamp oil just expensive sometimes coloured/fragranced kerosene?
The stuff you put into these:
images

Lambert oil. Between Taunton and 407 on East side of Hwy 12 (Brock st whitby).

Call them first, sometimes run out (mid winter storms usually tho)

www.lambertoil.ca

Last edited:
A 20L can at Home Hardware is around $50 so that is $2.50 a litre ar ripoff!

OP since your in niagara,
option 1 , call FUELS inc. based in St Cath. tell them what your looking for
option 2 , use furnace oil, its closer to what would be sold as #1diesel has much less stink than conventional deisel, keronsene has a lower flash point than diesel, home heat fuel oil is better
option 3, use diesel , enjoy the pounding headaches , sore throat and residual chemical in the less distilled product

your garage is an enclosed space and there is no chimney on a space heater, if it was supposed to run on diesel it would be sold as a diesel heater not kerosene.

If health is a concern consider switching to natural gas. Natural products have really taken off of late and for very good reason.

option 2 , use furnace oil, its closer to what would be sold as #1diesel has much less stink than conventional deisel, keronsene has a lower flash point than diesel, home heat fuel oil is better

Be careful on that, "furnace oil" isn't standardized. It can be a blend of #1 and #2, or for that matter, in times of supply constraints it can actually end up being straight diesel #2 you're getting, just red dyed and without road taxes of course.

I agree diesel isn't "ideal" for a portable heater, but results really depend on the model and how it burns it - LOTS of people do it and the results range from "it smelled a lot" to "I didn't notice any difference at all". Ones milage will vary depending on the make/model of heater in the end, but it's a cheap and easy experiment to find out.

Depending where you live most rural fuel suppliers who sell fuel to farms have kerosene available. However, you'd a jerry can to carry it back home.

That's right, and if you put kerosene in the trunk it still needs to be in some sort of container.

Last edited:
Are those even appropriate in an enclosed space?

JetA is better (and very high BTU) but is expensive - $1.40/L last I saw at Oshawa Airport. Access is apt to be difficult, I know for example at CYOO they won't sell to anyone off the street as ramp access is very restricted. Smaller airports are apt to be easier to talk someone into selling you fuel at, but most small/country airports don't have JetA, only 100LL.

The Lambert Oil station in Whitby used to have a separate kerosene pump but it's been a long time since I went past to see if it's still there. Looks like they have a Toronto location as well, might be worth a call.

I would double check jet A

A friend, when I was flying out of Brampton worked for a testing organization and had some jet fuel left over from an experiment. He took it to his cottage and used it in his stove. Something in it caused the stove to burn out.

Also, nothing aviation is cheap.

Are those even appropriate in an enclosed space?

I have one that I use in my garage all winter. It smells a bit and is less than ideal but it beats freezing my butt off. It smells the worst just after starting it so I do that with the door wide open and let it run for 10-15 min before closing the door. I'll leave it on for an hour or so before I actually work and crack the door for another min or two and then work.

I have one that I use in my garage all winter. It smells a bit and is less than ideal but it beats freezing my butt off. It smells the worst just after starting it so I do that with the door wide open and let it run for 10-15 min before closing the door. I'll leave it on for an hour or so before I actually work and crack the door for another min or two and then work.
I don't mind the smell. It's carbon monoxide I'm worried about. That's the main reason I am going electric

Crazy ON hydro rates and your going electric. Bend over even for short use.
I'm concerned about spending Long hours in there & nobody will find me dead in there. I could get a CO detector but don't want to deal with fumes. Most likely go propane

Anyone know where in Hamilton area you can buy kerosene in bulk by the litre.

Did you try:
http://crescentoil.ca/contact/

I've used several types of things to heat - propane, kerosene, wood, 120V. I have at least a half dozen 'space heaters' laying about. Only one of them is worth owning for this type of use.
HOLMES Micro Furnace. I left it on all winter in a fully detached / insulated garage. I set it to 'anti-freeze', and it kept the garage at 8C. I'd turn it up when spending time in there.
There's still a few around (discontinued). I didn't notice a change in my hydro bill.

It's worth its weight in gold:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HOLMES-INSTA...204912?hash=item5685fe0630:g:lPkAAOSw7FRWVyJy

Back
Top Bottom