Where to buy bulk kerosene | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to buy bulk kerosene

I don't mind the smell. It's carbon monoxide I'm worried about. That's the main reason I am going electric

Crazy ON hydro rates and your going electric. Bend over even for short use.

When my shop furnace went down I ran a construction heater off the welder receptacle. Got lazy, let it ride for couple months. You do NOT want to heat with electricity. Repeat, you do NOT.

I had a gas line run from my house to my garage to heat it and also put a gas bbq outlet in the back yard. One of the best things I've done. Cheap garage heating and limitless gas supply for the grill. It isn't cheap in the short term, but it adds to the resale of the home and is a no brainer for long term. For garage heating one can go with a forced air setup or for super high efficiency there are great gas radiant heater options.

It's worth strongly considering for people who use their garage much over winter. It's free and doesn't hurt to call a few contractors and get estimates; you may like what you find.

I don't mean to be a dick at all but I'm kind of surprised on a couple fronts. Like why do a lot of Canadians seem to think 7 deg. C indoors is an awesome way to spend indoors all weekend doing their hobby? Run the gas line already. Also, why do they listen to the worst radio from the junk pile because it's a "work" radio. Get some nice sound equipment if you're going to be in there all day!

I don't like to get too comfortable in my work areas, I'd get too comfortable & never get things done. Comfortable enough for standing around working. Not for relaxing

I don't like to get too comfortable in my work areas, I'd get too comfortable & never get things done. Comfortable enough for standing around working. Not for relaxing

There's no such thing as "too comfortable". Sorry about the hardball RG but that's just the way it is. My comfort zone is right around 62F give or take. If I were just sitting around I'd want it closer to 70F. All values assume 40% RH. of course. Nobody likes mold.

Last edited:
Cause it's -20 outside? lol It's all relative.

Ya, you're probably right. And speaking of relative, just this morning I viewed another episode of ADVChina. In Canada we're all living in paradise. I almost feel ashamed for defaming the Canadian indoor hobbyist.

When you go to lunch in China and it cost around a hundred in local currency, for a small group, seems reasonable. Then you realize it's the salary of the average worker for a month.....

7th story walk up apartment is a luxury.... Building goes up to around 15 floors, no elevator.

Did you try:
http://crescentoil.ca/contact/

I've used several types of things to heat - propane, kerosene, wood, 120V. I have at least a half dozen 'space heaters' laying about. Only one of them is worth owning for this type of use.
HOLMES Micro Furnace. I left it on all winter in a fully detached / insulated garage. I set it to 'anti-freeze', and it kept the garage at 8C. I'd turn it up when spending time in there.
There's still a few around (discontinued). I didn't notice a change in my hydro bill.

It's worth its weight in gold:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HOLMES-INSTA...204912?hash=item5685fe0630:g:lPkAAOSw7FRWVyJy
What makes those better than other space heaters? Are there any comparable types out there now?

Edit- found this. Just the new style?

http://www.holmesproducts.com/heate...th-manual-thermostat/HCH4051-NUM.html#start=8

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There's no such thing as "too comfortable". Sorry about the hardball RG but that's just the way it is. My comfort zone is right around 62F give or take. If I were just sitting around I'd want it closer to 70F. All values assume 40% RH. of course. Nobody likes mold.
I don't mind working in a jacket.
Hardball didn't received

What makes those better than other space heaters? Are there any comparable types out there now?

Edit- found this. Just the new style?

http://www.holmesproducts.com/heate...th-manual-thermostat/HCH4051-NUM.html#start=8

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why it works so good, but it does.
I saw the link to the 'new' one, but didn't post it, 'cause I didn't see an "anti-freeze" setting on it.
Maybe it's the same thing?

edit: I just looked at the new one. It's plastic. Older units are steel. fwiw.

Last edited:
My heater has a low flame so it doesn't eat up oxygen. If I'm out there for an extended amount of time I'll crack the door again for a minute or two. I'd love to have a NG heater and one day I will but the $2000-$2500 that it costs is a good chunk from my build budget. I have my priorities straight.

to those using any type of combustible fuel that isn't properly vented outside - please be careful. I wouldn't like to be reading "rider down in their garage."

It was a pretty 'Farmer Fred' fix but years ago before I had a happy warm shop I built a work room inside the shop , I made a 8x10x7'ft high room out of ecno 2x4's and covered it with 6mil clear poly and just left a flap for a door, it cost about $40 and an electric space heater warmed a small space not my whole garage. The tools were in there, bike fit and stuff like gasket sealer would cure and plastic parts didnt crack, it was cheap and cheerful.

I worked yrs in a commercial shop with shiteyy heating, there is nothing more painful than kneeling on cold concrete and picking up 3C wrenches.

Hydro told me to use about 15 cents per Kilowatt hour as a cost estimate.

One of those 240 volt electric heaters is about 5 kilowatts so 5 X .15 = $0.75 per hour.

All day, 24 hours X 0.75 = $18.00

All month, 30 days X 18.00 = $540.00

Thank you and Merry Christmas from

Kathleen Wynne, the Ontario Solar Farm Industry and The Ontario Wind Farm Industry

My one car garage is a typical suburbia under the bedroom job so only two exposed walls and there is heat gain from the house.

I strapped the outside walls with 2 X 2's and insulated, covering with cheap paneling. The roll up door is insulated.

The garage never freezes and is actually quite workable most of the time. When something chemical needs to cure I turn on the 240 volt money crematorium.

That's assuming it's running 24/7. Something reasonably well insulated should lower that to perhaps 30% of the time lowers it to $180.

Still hard to swallow I agree, but better. Either way, electric heat is still stupid expensive - if there's ANY other option go that route.

for $180 a month I'll build a styrofoam floating workbench and sit in my hot tub and work, cant be any worse.

Hydro told me to use about 15 cents per Kilowatt hour as a cost estimate.

One of those 240 volt electric heaters is about 5 kilowatts so 5 X .15 = $0.75 per hour.

All day, 24 hours X 0.75 = $18.00

Thank you and Merry Christmas from

Kathleen Wynne, the Ontario Solar Farm Industry and The Ontario Wind Farm Industry

My one car garage is a typical suburbia under the bedroom job so only two exposed walls and there is heat gain from the house.

I strapped the outside walls with 2 X 2's and insulated, covering with cheap paneling. The roll up door is insulated.

The garage never freezes and is actually quite workable most of the time. When something chemical needs to cure I turn on the 240 volt money crematorium.

ouch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom